Boarding Documents Question

SargassoPirate

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

I would prefer an emailed 'boarding pass' or a one page document rather than a paper booklet that I will throw away once onboard. 

AGREED!!!  In fact, I would not object to having the entire booklet sent as PDF which I can then transfer to my smartphone for the duration of the trip--along with the other documents I bring along. One less item to take up space and weight in the luggage.

• Like 1

AGREED!!!  In fact, I would not object to having the entire booklet sent as PDF which I can then transfer to my smartphone for the duration of the trip--along with the other documents I bring along. One less item to take up space and weight in the luggage.

I was wondering if scanning it to a PDF and having it on my phone might be ok. But it sounds like it's more of a local port authority or cruise terminal security policy thing that Viking has no control over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, ArizonaGal said:

Reading the couple of posts about showing booklet in some ports is a MAJOR FAIL on Viking's part for not mentioning in their booklet....IMO.

The requirements for persons to enter the secure port area/terminal is not the responsibility of cruise line. This is the responsibility of the port authority, in accordance with their procedures, which are driven by the ISPS Code. The requirements vary depending on the current security level (MARSEC), so for the same terminal they could vary on a different day.

BTW - in the unlikely event you experience MARSEC level 3, expect the port area to resemble a fortress and you will most likely require proof of booking and picture ID to access the port area.  

By boarding a cruise ship, we accept we are entering a secure area (similar to an airport), so we are prepared for any requirements entering the port and also checking in. While many ports may not require proof of having booked a cruise, we have experienced many that do. We have everything printed and accessible in the carry-on. If we require something, it is readily available and if not, no loss.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The requirements for persons to enter the secure port area/terminal is not the responsibility of cruise line. This is the responsibility of the port authority, in accordance with their procedures, which are driven by the ISPS Code. The requirements vary depending on the current security level (MARSEC), so for the same terminal they could vary on a different day.

BTW - in the unlikely event you experience MARSEC level 3, expect the port area to resemble a fortress and you will most likely require proof of booking and picture ID to access the port area.  

By boarding a cruise ship, we accept we are entering a secure area (similar to an airport), so we are prepared for any requirements entering the port and also checking in. While many ports may not require proof of having booked a cruise, we have experienced many that do. We have everything printed and accessible in the carry-on. If we require something, it is readily available and if not, no loss.

In other words, Viking should be making it clearer in the docs package that we should be carrying the booklet with us. A line of text on the package inventory card and on the booklet, preferably on the cover itself, should do the trick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

In other words, Viking should be making it clearer in the docs package that we should be carrying the booklet with us. A line of text on the package inventory card and on the booklet, preferably on the cover itself, should do the trick.

Exactly. And PLEASE do away with all the pages outlining shore excursions---we have already booked those by the time we get the booklet! A colossal waste of paper as all that info is available online.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Exactly. And PLEASE do away with all the pages outlining shore excursions---we have already booked those by the time we get the booklet! A colossal waste of paper as all that info is available online.

We all have different needs and expectations.

Personally, we have no need for the cruise line to advise what documents may be required, but including shore excursion outlines will save me some printing at home. I print a copy of the outline of each excursion (ship & private) we have booked, so we can review it prior to arriving in the port. Yes, we could find it online, but so much easier to grab a sheet of paper from the file for a quick review.

Since we do longer cruises, at the end of a 4-month cruise, we haven't a clue what we booked 6 months previously.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

We all have different needs and expectations.

Personally, we have no need for the cruise line to advise what documents may be required, but including shore excursion outlines will save me some printing at home. I print a copy of the outline of each excursion (ship & private) we have booked, so we can review it prior to arriving in the port. Yes, we could find it online, but so much easier to grab a sheet of paper from the file for a quick review.

Since we do longer cruises, at the end of a 4-month cruise, we haven't a clue what we booked 6 months previously.

I agree---and if I had need of a paper copy of whatever excursion I booked, I would print it. I understand that some people prefer paper over electronic. 

My objection is to a 50 page document that we have to show to board the ship, when 1 page printed or emailed document would suffice. It's wasteful and the only thing I needed from the booklet was knowing at which dock we will board, and they could have simply included that on a one page emailed document. Or at the very least---offer us the choice of an emailed PDF vs. paper booklet.

The 50 page booklet includes detail on every excursion in every port--which is useless as 2 weeks prior to leaving we have already booked our excursions. The booklet doesn't even tell me which excursions I have booked---rendering it even more useless.

It also includes T&C so perhaps this is their way of ensuring everyone has had access to T&C?

Again, that could be emailed and you can print it out if you choose. 

• Like 2

Check in at Miami for Cuba cruise and they wanted to see the booklet.  I did not know what booklet and the person finial let me through without showing it.  I really did not know wht booklet they wanted and I guess she got frustrated and just let me through whit just passport. 

Edited by Donray

3 hours ago, New Hampshire said:

We only received one booklet for the two of us for our March sailing.  Why would they issue two unless the two surnames were ?different

Our surnames are the same and we received two booklets, as we did last year. And I agree, there is no need for two identical booklets.

They were exactly the same and did not include booked excursions, restaurant or spa bookings. So really 100 pages of extraneous paper we need to take with us and then throw away.

• 1 month later...

Would someone please post the measurements of the cruise document?  I'm making a travel document holder and would love to know the size in advance in case I decide to bring at least part of the cruise document.  Thank you!

2 hours ago, NorskyGal said:

Would someone please post the measurements of the cruise document?  I'm making a travel document holder and would love to know the size in advance in case I decide to bring at least part of the cruise document.  Thank you!

NorskyGal, 

We just received our document booklets for an upcoming cruise in early May.  They measure 6 1/8 inches wide by 10 1/8 inches long.  Hope this helps.

Senior Gators

On 2/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, Peregrina651 said:

I have to wonder if Viking saw this post because I just received a pdf called edoc######.pdf  from my travel agent on 3/25 that is a copy of the document book.