Queen Mary 2 transatlantic - first time cruisers

Ahoy,

First time cruiser, and first time visitor to these boards. We're hoping to book a transatlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2 for June 2020. Here's what we have in mind:

• Travelling from Southampton to New York, because we thought it would be nicer to have each day have an hour's lie-in, than to sail the other way and have each day be an hour shorter than usual and get grumpier and grumpier as we travel (does this happen? What are your thoughts?)

• Since we're not regular cruisers and really want to have a great experience, we're planning to book Queens Grill rooms. Do these vary much, does it matter which we choose? There seems to be a lot of advice on inner cabins and the pros and cons, I am hoping this may mean that the Queens Grill rooms are all pretty good. What are your thoughts? Ought we to be careful which we pick?

• This will be a trip with us (couple) and mother-in-law. We are keen for her to have a very comfortable time so it will be one room for us, and one for her. Are there any rooms that interconnect or link, while still giving each room its own privacy and space? Or, should we just take whatever rooms we are assigned, and not worry too much about whether they are adjacent?

• Finally, I am planning to book through a travel agent, just because I use them to make various other bookings (a reputable High Street agent.) Is this fine to do, or is there a good reason to book direct? I can see that Cunard offer a couple of sweeteners, but didn't look particularly compelling to book direct. If there's a reason I should be considering doing so, let me know your thoughts!

Thanks for any answers. We are looking forward to the trip but it's a lot to spend so very keen to make sure we make the right choices. First time for all of us though the M-I-L has travelled commercially by liner before, being of a generation when people still did so!

FH

This sounds wonderful! Hopefully you'll get the right cabins- we often book with the line we're going with, or else with a TA who knows about cruising. You can Google the deck plans and see the size of cabins.

We've not been on the QM2, but we've crossed the Atlantic both ways a few times;  going west, the clocks have been put forward at 2am, so yes, you can have longer in bed... going east the clocks have been moved forward at noon, so you're not missing any sleep... there's so much happening on these crossings that it's easier to miss lunch and go to afternoon tea instead. Plus that doesn't happen on more than 2 consecutive days, so you hardly notice the difference.

Enjoy the planning! 🙂 

I’m not certain if there are inside cabins in Queens Grill category.   But, even if there were, I think you would have a better experience booking regular - and pay a lot less.  There are several adjoining (connecting door) balcony cabins which would seem ideal for you.   We’ve sailed westbound on her twice, and do appreciate the longer days .

Come over to the Cunard Board . No Inside cabins in Queens Grill . 

You will find a Queens Grill extremely $$$$ and your situation may be better off with connecting Cabins in Brittania grade .

There is no Cunard fare that can’t be reserved by any TA .

Cunard permits TA’s to discount those fares 👍