Industry City Hotel Question

lovebears

We are flying into LGA 4/27.  Hotels are very $$$  and I found this new hotel in Brooklyn not far from cruise terminal.  Looking for input on neighborhood.  Only one review with it being a new hotel.  Substantially less than Manhattan hotels.  Thanks in advance for input

INDUSTRY CITY HOTEL, AN ASCEND HOTEL COLLECTION MEMBER

135 32nd Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11232, US

This is a new boutique hotel, limited services & facilities situated in a diverse, working-class neighborhood, served by major subway (N, R & D) lines/station at 36th Street & 4th. Avenue ... 4 short city blocks away and a Costco nearby.  Limited choice of restaurants & shops, except for local/ethinic stores - walking distance in the area.  Area is relatively safe and fine, on a mostly residential block with mixed-retail, commercial & warehouse in the surrounding.  

If budget price is a priority, depending on your find, and you just need a place to rest/sleep & don't plan to do any sightseeing in Manhattan, I don't see a problem with your choice.  There are several local car services that can quickly take you to the Red Hook pier, assuming that you are sailing from Brooklyn, about 10 minutes away - during high seasons for cruising.  

Have you used TripAdvisor, PL or Hotw---- to price out availability, re-check as you get closer if you have a fully refundable rate, as we had out-of-town relatives that flew into LGA recently last minute and book a 2 nights stay at the Springhill Suites by Marriott with free airport shuttle for $155 a night + taxes/charges, 2 Queen beds & a sofabed with hot breakfast buffet - close to the #7 subway train into Manhattan. 

The place is brand new so that’s a major plus. The downside is that there is absolutely nothing there. I wouldn’t walk around. I notice that it offers free breakfast another plus. Maybe you can uber from here to the Brooklyn Bridge. Walk across bridge into Manhattan. Then walk back into Brooklyn and then Uber back to hotel. 

I appreciate the responses!  We don't arrive to LGA until 3:30PM.  We have stayed in Manhattan/Times Square on previous trips.  We booked this refundable rate of $137 total for 2 adults.  Crazy cheap compared to Moxy Downtown we also have booked that is refundable for $202.  That being said, we would never want to stay in an unsafe area just to save $$$. Is Ubering to Coney Island a decent idea for the evening?  We have never been there.  We do port out of Brooklyn on NCL.

Edited by lovebears
add more information

2 hours ago, lovebears said:

I appreciate the responses!  We don't arrive to LGA until 3:30PM.  We have stayed in Manhattan/Times Square on previous trips.  We booked this refundable rate of $137 total for 2 adults.  Crazy cheap compared to Moxy Downtown we also have booked that is refundable for $202.  That being said, we would never want to stay in an unsafe area just to save $$$. Is Ubering to Coney Island a decent idea for the evening?  We have never been there.  We do port out of Brooklyn on NCL.

No, you don't want to go to Coney Island at night.

• Like 1

I agree with njhorseman. The amusement park will be closed by 7PM on April 27. Unless you are going to a specific place (Gargiulo's Restaurant, for instance) Coney Island after dark is not a great place for you to be wandering around.

Edited by Langoustine

I think you need to decide what you’re ok with once your at the hotel. I’m the type who needs to get out and explore the area. You travelled all the way to NYC it would be a waste just to sit in your room. But I realize that some like to rest. If that’s the case you most likely will be able to get food delivered to your room. Probably Chinese or pizza. 

17 hours ago, lovebears said:

We don't arrive to LGA until 3:30PM.  We have stayed in Manhattan/Times Square on previous trips ... booked this refundable rate of $137 total for 2 adults.  Crazy cheap ... would never want to stay in an unsafe area just to save $$$. Is Ubering to Coney Island a decent idea for the evening?  We have never been there.  We do port out of Brooklyn on NCL.

Hotel is 3 blocks from 72nd police precinct, NYPD on 4th Avenue and I've know Sunset Park including this little "Industry City" section for 3 decades, worked in area for nearly 10 years.  IMO, safe & fine to walk around, good # of new condos, built & sold ... just practice common sense & be street-wise, as safe at 10 pm as most places whereas the financial district would be a ghost-town after 8 or 9 pm, except bars & restaurants and near those luxury high-end "residence".  

By the time your deplane, gather your luggage & get into a taxi or car service - you will run smack into peak evening rush hour traffic, taking easily 1 hour to get to the hotel ~ 5:30 to 6 p.m. if everything run close to/near schedule, to get checked in.  IMO, not worth hailing an Uber or ride to Coney Island, unless there is something you wish to do or see, or a place to dine, etc.  But, if you feel adventurous, walk 5 blocks to the underground BMT subway station on 4th Avenue & 36th Street, catch the D line (express w limited stops) to Coney Island, packed with commuters rushing home - a lot faster than taking a car ride.  Like others said, not much to see or do at night. 

Nearby, a short Uber or car service ride, fine places in Park Slope - along 5th, 6th & 7th Avenue, north past Union Street & further for evening dinner, without venturing into Manhattan - checkout local guides on Google and/or CC's affiliated TripAdvisor ... in addition to Brooklyn Heights, where you can get a nice waterfront night view of Manhattan. 

"Boring" compared to Times Square or Macy's around 34th Street, I wouldn't write it off as a frugal place for a quick overnight stay.   

Thank you so very much for the thorough responses!  Sounds like an Uber from this hotel for a dinner spot should work great.  Are there restaurants anyone would suggest from the areas suggested below?  Thanks again

"Nearby, a short Uber or car service ride, fine places in Park Slope - along 5th, 6th & 7th Avenue, north past Union Street & further for evening dinner, without venturing into Manhattan - checkout local guides on Google and/or CC's affiliated TripAdvisor ... in addition to Brooklyn Heights, where you can get a nice waterfront night view of Manhattan"

• 2 weeks later...

Industry City is an "up and coming' area that has some interesting shopping and food areas.  Please google it. 

https://industrycity.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SR | BR | Leasing | EXM&utm_term=[industry city brooklyn]&matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&adposition=1t1&keyword=industry city brooklyn

It would be an interesting place to explore prior to your cruise embarkaation.