Question on Luggage Handling Before Cruise

Shadeland Cruiser

13 hours ago, Shadeland Cruiser said:

When I arrive at the city where the cruise begins do I need to claim my luggage first or does the airline and/or Viking handle that?

When you arrive at the destination airport you will have to go through immigration control and present your passport, then to baggage claim.

Collect all your baggage from carousel and take it through customs.

Most countries have two exits, red if you have something to declare, green for nothing to declare. Once you pass customs you leave the secure 'airside' and go 'landside. It is here your Viking rep will be. (EU countries may also have a Blue exit for travellers from another EU country - denoted by green stripes on edge of baggage tags)

Reps are not usually allowed airside.

Your rep will guide you to the transport. Once your bags are loaded in the transport you should not need to handle them again until you arrive at the airport to checkin for your departure.

Viking will take them to your cabin, and at the end of your cruise, from your cabin to the transport

44 minutes ago, pontac said:

Your rep will guide you to the transport. Once your bags are loaded in the transport you should not need to handle them again until you arrive at the airport to checkin for your departure.

Viking will take them to your cabin, and at the end of your cruise, from your cabin to the transport

Unless they are taking all of the luggage to the airport by truck, you may need to identify your luggage before it goes on the bus that you are taking to the airport.

Edited by Peregrina651

47 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

you may need to identify your luggage before it goes on the bus that you are taking to the airport.

Indeed. This ensures everyone on that flight has all their baggage, and that all the passengers are on board the coach.

But you don't have to handle the baggage till you get to the airport

1 hour ago, Shadeland Cruiser said:

First of all thanks to all for replying. I amy not have been clear. I am asking about how to procedd when I get to the final destination airport but before I board the cruise. some of the responses seem to discuss a different situation.   that may well be my fault.

No they answered it first. You go through immigration, collect your luggage, go through customs (likely the green line for nothing to declare) exit the customs area and look for your rep who will have a board with the cruise line’s name on it. 

All people were adding beyond that is that is the last time you will have to handle luggage for a long time.