Carnival Internet question for those who have used it...

MomtherOfDragons

Anyone have any idea when the internet will be upgraded fleet wide?

Last week on the Caribbean Princess their new MedallionNet was awesome. Download speeds near 20 Mbps. Uploads over 50 Mbps. Perfect reception everywhere.

If I'm not mistaken all Carnival brand ships should be getting this at some point.

• Like 1

I was just on the Valor a little over a month ago, and I bought the premium internet package...not sure if that is the name, but I bought whichever one was the most expensive one that was supposed to be the fastest and best and it was TERRIBLE.  There was only one day that I could actually get online and get through to anything, and that was while we were ported at Cozumel, so I am not sure if the internet was different while we were ported or what, but it was so useless the rest of the time, that I felt like I had been cheated out of my money as I could not get online most of the times that I tried.  Not even at a slow speed.  I even tried the computers at the Internet hub place on the ship, and those weren't any better than my own devices.  I couldn't even get email but maybe 2 times the entire trip.

I don't know how any of these people who are saying they were able to get on were able to do so, because I couldn't do squat.  And I do not have a VPN.  

I don't know if you need some kind of special magic wand or what, but for me it was a complete waste of money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LadyMac72 said:

Would a mifi work on the ship?  Just dawned on BF that I'll be out of pocket for the better part of a week..... He's BEGGING me to get a wifi package or take his mifi with me.

MiFi wouldn't work since it needs a good cellular network which isn't available on the ship

Internet(premium)is trash on every Carnival Ship that I've been on, Sunshine, Pride and Magic. Set the bar and your expectations very, very low. You should be able to do what you need to do but takes much longer. I try to download prior days emails at times I wont be needing it, overnight, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was on victory last week, the value internet was unusable, so I upgraded to premium thinking maybe it gives a person higher priority, and nothing changed. 1 out of a 100 tries it will trickle at maybe 20kb/s, but pretty much every website and email will timeout before fully loading. On the last day I went down to the customer service desk and told them the internet never worked, and the guy just refunded the money with zero fuss. They know their internet is trash. You pretty much will have to plan work around port days and make sure you have an international plan that works, for example I couldn’t get my Tmobile phone to work in Mexico, but AT&T worked flawlessly.

Edited by Joehult

Just came off the Dream on 2/10 and purchased the internet value plan. I was able to use the internet in the internet cafe almost daily without issue, e-mails, website, social media, etc. Maybe it's ship specific. I'll be on the Conquest in 2 weeks, so I'll see what happens then.

5 hours ago, jakesnana said:

Just came off the Dream on 2/10 and purchased the internet value plan. I was able to use the internet in the internet cafe almost daily without issue, e-mails, website, social media, etc. Maybe it's ship specific. I'll be on the Conquest in 2 weeks, so I'll see what happens then.

Just got off Conquest on 2/2.  After the 2nd day I went down to Guest Services and asked for a refund, as nothing would load, and just timed out each time - even when I was using it at 5 a.m. when fewer people would be on.  They refunded my money back to my credit card - no problem.  What is interesting is that I was on the Conquest the year before and the internet worked great!  I think so many people are using it, the ship's internet can't handle the traffic. Will be going on Conquest again in a few weeks, but not even bothering with a plan this time.  

15 hours ago, pe4all said:

Just got off Conquest on 2/2.  After the 2nd day I went down to Guest Services and asked for a refund, as nothing would load, and just timed out each time - even when I was using it at 5 a.m. when fewer people would be on.  They refunded my money back to my credit card - no problem.  What is interesting is that I was on the Conquest the year before and the internet worked great!  I think so many people are using it, the ship's internet can't handle the traffic. Will be going on Conquest again in a few weeks, but not even bothering with a plan this time.  

Interesting, I know many in my party are planning on purchasing the social media plan - I wonder if it will be worth their money. Do you have any idea if the "messaging" app that CCL has onboard was working on the Conquest? We rely on that to stay in touch with each other, especially since there are 12 of us.  BTW, are you on our sailing - 3/10?

3 hours ago, jakesnana said:

Interesting, I know many in my party are planning on purchasing the social media plan - I wonder if it will be worth their money. Do you have any idea if the "messaging" app that CCL has onboard was working on the Conquest? We rely on that to stay in touch with each other, especially since there are 12 of us.  BTW, are you on our sailing - 3/10?

3 hours ago, jakesnana said:

Yes, the carnival hub app was working perfectly.  Used it multiple times a day to message daughter who was elsewhere on ship, and to check menus, account balance, etc.  Definitely worth the $5 pp it costs!  I am not on your sailing - I am on the 3/16 one.

1 hour ago, newcruiser1956 said:

The 2  Carnival ships I have been on the internet has been fine.   My phone will also work with internet calls and I even received a phone call in the middle of the ocean (which surprised me!)

Which ships?

Thanks

Until the ships upgrade we have given up on the ship's wifi. When we get to a port, whether in Australia, Fiji, Mexico, Alaska or anywhere world wide we take our tablets and stop into a McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, etc. These all have free wifi (we'll get a coffee ). You'll also see groups of people sitting around certain areas with tablets & laptops----normally a free wifi area. Finally you'll see signs for wifi at a reasonable rate---In Tahiti we found this one for $5 an hour.

IMG0264.jpg