Steakhouse attire first night...

CRocks

We've avoided the steakhouse cuz we don't bring formal attire. But, we'd like to try it on our upcoming Alaskan cruise + it seems to me I read somewhere it's cruise casual on the first nite. can someone please confirm this. I did a search + it turned up nothing. TIA

2 things, no formal attire is required anywhere, even Elegant night. Kingston's statement is not rue. You can go to the MDR in shorts, not the Steakhouse. Of course someone will come in right behind me and contradict my statement and say wife beater and shorts are fine, anything goes on Carnival. No it does not. Be respectful and and dress appropriately, golf shirt and slacks are just fine.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

2 things, no formal attire is required anywhere, even Elegant night. Kingston's statement is not rue. You can go to the MDR in shorts, not the Steakhouse. Of course someone will come in right behind me and contradict my statement and say wife beater and shorts are fine, anything goes on Carnival. No it does not. Be respectful and and dress appropriately, golf shirt and slacks are just fine.

How about jeans?

4 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

I'm not sure. You might be all right with jeans. Definitely no shorts. Have a pair of Dockers in your carry on, just in case you're turned away for wearing jeans.

Thanks, I'm from Australia,must admit had to google Dockers, people keep mentioning them.LOL

They are what we would call Chinos here.

What to Wear - Evenings

Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant
For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn. 

The Steakhouse
The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)
Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings / Formal Nights
The length of the cruise determines the number of  'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

My wife and I were on the Horizon a couple of months ago and we always go the first night to the Steakhouse for the 50% off

any bottle of wine.  As the hostess was taking us to our table, a table of 8 rather large humans were wearing swim trunks, tank tops and flip flops.  As we were seated I inquired as to the dress code...the hostess told me that they hadn't received their luggage yet.  I responded "All 8 of them, what a coincidence". She rolled her eyes and apologized.  So who knows what the dress code is on the first night? I don't.  BTW-this was at 8:00

Edited by cruisemein

19 minutes ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

Thanks, I'm from Australia,must admit had to google Dockers, people keep mentioning them.LOL

Here in North America, "Dockers" is a brand name of casual pants, which also includes Chinos, also sometimes referred to as khakis. It can get a bit confusing. Sorry for the confusion. Glad you figured it out.

25 minutes ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

People under 60 call them chinos here too 

Edited by hotsauce126

1 hour ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

How about jeans?

We were on Horizon the first night of our recent cruise.  DS did not have anything but shorts and jeans packed.  He wore his jeans to dinner every night, including the steak house and  even on elegant night (the next night), and nothing was said or enforced.  I ended up wearing slacks and a nice polo to the steak house the first night.

Edited by ddloml
punctuation error

1 hour ago, ddloml said:

We were on Horizon the first night of our recent cruise.  DS did not have anything but shorts and jeans packed.  He wore his jeans to dinner every night, including the steak house and  even on elegant night (the next night), and nothing was said or enforced.  I ended up wearing slacks and a nice polo to the steak house the first night.

Thanks, We're headed to Alaska,so the shorts in general probably won't be coming out much, if at all:classic_smile:

2 hours ago, cruisemein said:

My wife and I were on the Horizon a couple of months ago and we always go the first night to the Steakhouse for the 50% off

any bottle of wine.  As the hostess was taking us to our table, a table of 8 rather large humans were wearing swim trunks, tank tops and flip flops.  As we were seated I inquired as to the dress code...the hostess told me that they hadn't received their luggage yet.  I responded "All 8 of them, what a coincidence". She rolled her eyes and apologized.  So who knows what the dress code is on the first night? I don't.  BTW-this was at 8:00

I rest my case. This is not acceptable on any level. 100% of the blame lays on the Maitre's who should have said "We will gladly rebook you tomorrow when you have proper dining attire." Yes, I do care and it will diminish our dining experience. They probably didn't have time to shower either. Even before we were Platinum, we never received our luggage after 5.

6 hours ago, CRocks said:

We've avoided the steakhouse cuz we don't bring formal attire. But, we'd like to try it on our upcoming Alaskan cruise + it seems to me I read somewhere it's cruise casual on the first nite. can someone please confirm this. I did a search + it turned up nothing. TIA

It's never formal in the steakhouse, just no shorts.

6 hours ago, CRocks said:

Its casual every might.we went twice dressed for a nice dinner to be surrounded by raggedy jeans and t shirts.i couldn't worry about it.i believe they would let you in wearing the bath done from your cabin.its carnival part of the funship theme.

4 hours ago, cruisemein said:

As the hostess was taking us to our table, a table of 8 rather large humans were wearing swim trunks, tank tops and flip flops.

So their attire would have been appropriate if they were thin? I didn't realize that dress codes only applied to fat people. Good to know.

8 hours ago, Bahbert said:

The Steakhouse
The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted.

Main Dining Room(s)
Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirt

Total contradiction on Carnival's own website.  It states that shorts are not permitted in the Steakhouse on "Cruise Casual" evenings and that the dress requirements are in line with the MDR.  But, it then states that dress shorts (long) are permitted in the MDR on "Cruise Casual" evenings.