Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago

rucrazy

I posted this topic on our roll call.... unfortunately at this time we are the only ones on that Roll Call :classic_ohmy: so ...I decided to try here on the main forum...

We have been cruising for quite a while.. but one of the ports we have never visited before is Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago..

We are scheduled to stop there on our next cruise and wondered if any CCers had any thoughts as to what to do ... how big of town is it ? Big enough for a "nice" restaurant for lunch?    Also is it a beach port or cultural visit?

Thanks for any insight...

Edited by rucrazy
correct grammar

57 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

I posted this topic on our roll call.... unfortunately at this time we are the only ones on that Roll Call :classic_ohmy: so ...I decided to try here on the main forum...

We have been cruising for quite a while.. but one of the ports we have never visited before is Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago..

We are scheduled to stop there on our next cruise and wondered if any CCers had any thoughts as to what to do ... how big of town is it ? Big enough for a "nice" restaurant for lunch?    Also is it a beach port or cultural visit?

Thanks for any insight...

Hi there.

We just returned from an Oceania cruise that stopped in Scarborough.  We usually do private tours or just walk around the port area.  From all I have read, this area is not very safe. 

We ended up putting a tour together with Hans Phillip, which took us around the island and included lunch.  The cost was $80 per person.  A number of people on the cruise did go to a beach at Pigeon Point.  They said it was very nice.  I don't know about facilities at the beach.

If you want info on Hans, email me and I will be glad to send you his contact info.

Terri

Although my experience wasn't on a cruise, I recall that Tobago (Scarborough) was a wonderful place to visit.  A number of years ago, my sister was stationed in the capital Port of Spain, Trinidad and we took the 10 minute flight over to Scarborough for a long weekend.  The beaches were lovely and the vibe was very relaxed, because there aren't nearly as many tourists as elsewhere in the Caribbean.  I don't recall any issues with safety and if anything, Trinidad & Tobago is one of the most stable of the large Caribbean countries and Tobago is certainly safer than the Trinidad side.  Hopefully, you will have a chance to enjoy the local food.

I visited Scarborough, Tobago, this past December while on the Prinsendam. I took the ship's Island Tour, which was in 15 passenger vans with a driver who never left the van and an excellent guide. It was 4 1/2 hours with 6 stops with the last stop being a Folkloric presentation which was very good but very loud. Most of us agreed that six stops was too many but I think the local tour company wanted to show off all the island points of interest. 

What struck me about Tobago is that it is so clean. Didn't see trash anywhere along the roadways (unlike the Dominican Republic). I commented that to the guide and she said they are very proud of their country and try very hard to keep it clean. To be honest, I do not know what is offered in the town itself. 

We were there about ten years ago and arranged a private bird watching tour with George Newton.  The tour was fantastic, if you’re into tropical birds. I remember that he worked for a department within the country similar to a national parks department and is a well known ornithologist. 

Edited by Mr. Boston
Remembered tour operator’s name

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

Also you might try going to the, " Ports of Call" page for more info. Enjoy your stop there what ever you do. 

I searched there ..(at least I thought I did) but could not find any posts.. It may be they are somewhere  I didnt look! :classic_ohmy:

I was there in December 2016 on the Prinsendam Holiday cruise.

We took a taxi to Pigon Point Park.  It's a gated park sort of their equivalent to a state park in the USA on the ocean.  There was a fee to enter.  Chairs and umbrellas for rent.  Food and limited shop available as well.  It was a nice day.  Clean, safe, and comfortable.  The water and views were typical caribbean with lots of palm trees.  I would definetly go back there.  One thing you don't often see in the caribbean was they had life guards.  We walked around the town by the port when we returned later in the afternoon.  Because we were there a couple days after Christmas most of the stores were closed.  They had fruit vendors, the restaurants we saw were mostly fast food.  My impression of the town near the port was that it really wasn't touristy.  It was more stores for people that lives on the island.  It wouldn't take long to walk around.  There were some vendors in the port area selling souviors.  If your not going to go to the beach on your own, I would do a HAL tour because there didn't appear to be much to do near the port.  It's not an island that get's alot of cruiseships.  So the town isn't really touristy.

We were there Dec 2016.   Taxis were plentiful and we took one from Scarborough to go to an area just outside pigeon point entrance to where a local took us to snorkel and the area in the ocean where there is a place you can stand up.   The boat operator was recommended by the Taxi driver.    Great place for snorkeling but when we were there the boat owner said it was too windy to snorkel but after saying that he threw out a rope and told two of us to jump in and hang on to the rope.  Quite an experience being pulled through the water snorkel hanging on to a rope for about 15 mins.   The snorkel area we visited seemed to be thriving with many fish.  In summary Tobago is famous for snorkeling and beaches.   

Peter