Red Ginger and Seafood Allergies--experiences?

musicmom3

Very impressed with Oceania's attention to my seafood allergy on our first sailing with the line (last year, on Marina), but  I wasn't confident enough at that time to keep our reservation at Red Ginger, given all the hidden ways that seafood can pop up in Asian cuisine, especially in stocks, condiments, and garnishes. We just made reservations for the specialties for our upcoming trip, including Red Ginger, and I'm interested in giving it a try this time around. Any seafood-allergic folks have Red Ginger experiences to share? 

Not me.  We've had a few meals in Red Ginger BUT we don't have seafood allergies.

I believe the usual advice is to write to Oceania to inform them of your problem.  Usually people who have problems -- whether diabetic, non-glutan, whatever -- can put in requests.  The ship will give you information about the menus and ingredients so that you can select what is safe for you.

Asking us here is probably not much help.  You need to go to the ship.  if you have a TA, use that person as a negotiator if need be.

The ship doesn't want you to have a problem with food they serve you!

If you think you might have a problem with seafood allergies with Red Ginger, the same could be true of the other restaurants.  So if you have a serious allergy problem, you should alert the ship.

Mura

Thanks for the reply, Mura. Yes, I do all that...the TA works on my behalf, we notify the ship beforehand and, much more importantly, speak to the people at the dining reservations desk and the executive chef and everybody else who we deal with in food service. Allergies of any sort definitely require a proactive stance, and that stance helped, I believe, make our last experience seamlessly safe. My point in asking the question now is to elicit anecdotal personal experiences from those with allergies who have dined at Red Ginger, as Asian cuisine can be challenging to navigate because of hidden seafood in stocks, condiments, and garnishes. We avoided Red Ginger last time...it would be nice to include it in our rotation this time. 

Had a slight reaction 2 years ago. Waiter promised the world but it still happened. If you have the allergy and don't want to deal with it, don't go. I won't again. Told Oceania and my TA.

Mike

Edited by rvmike

3 minutes ago, rvmike said:

Had a slight reaction 2 years ago. Waiter promised the world but it still happened. If you have the allergy and don't want to deal with it, don't go. I won't again. Told Oceania and my TA.

Mike

Not what I wanted to hear, but I guess that's at the heart of my question, Mike...despite best intentions, do the folks dealing with the food accurately know the ingredients in the various sauces and condiments?  Tuna is often in miso, for example, and fish sauce/paste seems to appear all over the place. I guess if you have to ask...you shouldn't go....

I think most of the onboard kitchen staff  do a good job with allergies  but as you say in Asian cuisine fish sauce  etc.. can be hidden  in many condiments

RG has it's own kitchen so cross contamination might occur

maybe speak to the head Chef once you board mentioning your concerns

Keep your EPI pen close at hand

You may want to see more answers than Mike's.  Not that I am dismissing his comments, not at all.

But you have been very proactive from what you say.  We don't know how serious your allergy is, for example.  Is the slightest bit of seafood broth (or whatever) going to cause you a problem?  Or can you deal with larger amounts?

When I was 22 I had a severe allergic reaction after eating -- that time it was a hamburger, but I went to a stage where soundproofing was in process which entailed pyrethrins being sprayed around.  Whether it was the food or the pyrethrins, I never knew.  When I asked the allergist who'd tested me when I was SIX (!) he said at that time I'd tested positive for hayfever and pyrethrins could have been the problem.  Thereafter, the problem recurred every couple of years for about 7 years, but always with different food.  One allergist I saw told me that perhaps the problem was triggered by conditions present at the moment.  Whatever, after that 7 years (when I have been told allergies can disappear or appear), I never had another problem.  One doctor said I was allergic to shellfish but I never had been so I ignored him.  We never figured out what the problem really was, and I'm glad that I've not had a recurrence.

I'm not saying you are not allergic to seafood!  I was trying to ask just how severe is your problem.

Mike may be right:  if you are aware of a problem, avoid it.  Clearly he had a problem with RG.

In your place, I would wait to see if further comments show up.  And I won't comment again!  Just because clearly I cannot be of help to you.  Wishing you good luck, however.

Just saw that Lyn chimed in just as I was finishing up, but her suggestion sounds good to me as well.

Mura

My allergy is not that bad, do not need the pen. But have been told by doctors that the attacks can get worse over time.  I would rather have a great steak instead of a lobster. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks to all. My allergy is severe to shellfish, less severe to flatfish (unless it is a flatfish with a similar protein structure to what's in shellfish, like anchovies, and then it's severe). It sure is a hassle to give everybody the third degree every time we eat out, but so it goes. Everybody on Oceania was great during our last trip and hoping for a repeat of that. Nothing beats talking to the people who know the kitchen, that's for sure.

Just now, musicmom3 said:

It sure is a hassle to give everybody the third degree every time we eat out, but so it goes. Everybody on Oceania was great during our last trip and hoping for a repeat of that. Nothing beats talking to the people who know the kitchen, that's for sure.

better the 3rd degree  than in hospital or worse 🙁

My sister goes through that everytime she eats out as  she has several allergies  some not so deadly than others 😉

Enjoy your cruise

I am allergic to fish (with fins and scales) but not shellfish, the more common allergy that many develop as they age.  Red Ginger is my favorite specialty restaurant.  I have found that talking directly to my main server about my allergy when I am ordering avoids any problems because that person immediately checks with the kitchen regarding ingredients if there is any question regarding the ingredients in the dishes I plan to order.  

22 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I am allergic to fish (with fins and scales) but not shellfish

We have this in common except mine is a dislike rather than an allergy.

I love all forms of shellfish but avoid any fish (scales & fins) :classic_biggrin: I’ll have some sushi, the miso seabass in RG on rare occasion or teriyaki salmon - but that’s about it.

6 hours ago, CintiPam said:

I am allergic to fish (with fins and scales) but not shellfish, the more common allergy that many develop as they age.  Red Ginger is my favorite specialty restaurant.  I have found that talking directly to my main server about my allergy when I am ordering avoids any problems because that person immediately checks with the kitchen regarding ingredients if there is any question regarding the ingredients in the dishes I plan to order.  

That's really good to hear. And, yes, talking to the folks in the know is definitely the way to go!

On 2/21/2019 at 12:27 AM, Paulchili said:

We have this in common except mine is a dislike rather than an allergy.

Husband Gerry does not eat any fish, which actually is a plus in our marriage because I certainly cannot be cooking or handling any!

Depending on the severity of your allergy you are taking a risk. Even with the best of intentions Asian ingredients are very seafood forward . Do you regularly eat in Asian restaurants at home?

I would ask to speak with Executive chef of restaurant  but as the mother of a chef I would encourage you to reconsider dining in RG. 

6 hours ago, kibutzer said:

Depending on the severity of your allergy you are taking a risk. Even with the best of intentions Asian ingredients are very seafood forward . Do you regularly eat in Asian restaurants at home?

I would ask to speak with Executive chef of restaurant  but as the mother of a chef I would encourage you to reconsider dining in RG. 

I have come to learn that I ignore my intuition at my peril, and my intuition has been suggesting I do just what you recommend. It's nice to have perspective, though, which is why I asked the question--while I strive to be sensible, I also strive not to become fearful. With this choice, it really is about the odds of something going sideways despite best intentions. Thanks for the input, kibutzer. The reward to risk ratio is too high, so we'll be cancelling our reservations.

8 minutes ago, musicmom3 said:

The reward to risk ratio is too high, so we'll be cancelling our reservations.

Perhaps once you are onboard you can speak to the GM about your situation and they can arrange to give you extra reservations in the other restaurants to compensate you for RG and give you at least the total that you are entitled to.

50 minutes ago, musicmom3 said:

I have come to learn that I ignore my intuition at my peril, and my intuition has been suggesting I do just what you recommend. It's nice to have perspective, though, which is why I asked the question--while I strive to be sensible, I also strive not to become fearful. With this choice, it really is about the odds of something going sideways despite best intentions. Thanks for the input, kibutzer. The reward to risk ratio is too high, so we'll be cancelling our reservations.

It certainly is your decision but because I do enjoy the atmosphere at Red Ginger so much, I post to add that for religious reasons, my spouse does not eat any pork or seafood (and simply does not like fish so does not eat it) but he never has had any problem in finding something yummy to eat for every course offered there.  Cocktail parties onboard are a different matter entirely!

13 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Perhaps once you are onboard you can speak to the GM about your situation and they can arrange to give you extra reservations in the other restaurants to compensate you for RG and give you at least the total that you are entitled to.

This is a terrific idea! Will definitely pursue, thanks!

18 hours ago, rvmike said:

Some good suggestions, my paranoia now is cross contamination that the kitchen cannot control with the # of meals being served. I just will not take a chance, Nothing wrong with with pasta

Cross-contamination is definitely an issue, especially when dealing with anything fried, unless there is a non-seafood-dedicated fryolater. But for me, I have recently realized, the concern is starting well before that, when the ingredients arrive on site. For instance, if the Gochujang chili paste ordered by Red Ginger for my trip arrives with fish sauce as an ingredient (and there are many suppliers of chili pastes, all with their own "secret sauce" ingredients, and many of them include seafood), will anybody notice? It's kind of a big ask, with the volume of meals served as you point out, to have somebody read every label for every condiment or garnish used in the kitchen. Not such a big deal in Toscana as it is in Asian cuisine so, yes, bring on the pasta! 

39 minutes ago, musicmom3 said:

Not such a big deal in Toscana as it is in Asian cuisine so, yes, bring on the pasta! 

They also serve  seafood  in Toscana & Polo  & hopefully  they do have a separate area in the kitchen  so there is  no cross contamination for food allergies  like yours