Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

In effect though on the cruise lines wheret they say no DSC and it is included in the price are you not paying a mandstory charge for service which may be terrible

In most of the hotels that I have looked at in Miami they charge you a resort fee payable at the hotel you are staying at and is mandatory.

I'm happy to pay the DSC as i know it's to be added to the cost of the cruise and will also and have done tip the waiter in the MDR if i think he has been a joy to have at our table

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Until Sidari brought this subject up here, I doubt that many knew anything about it (other than Facebook users).

I've since emailed MSC and a German TA (I have bookings with both) on the subject.  I await their replies.

Actually it was in the online brochures as well but not in such big letters as now

4 minutes ago, ikea logistics said:

In most of the hotels that I have looked at in Miami they charge you a resort fee payable at the hotel you are staying at and is mandatory.

3 minutes ago, ikea logistics said:

Actually it was in the online brochures as well but not in such big letters as now

Could I ask, would you be happy to pay a mandatory resort fee if there was no mention of it at the time of booking and then added when you got there?

There was no reference to a mandatory service charge online or in the t&c’s when I booked.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Babybooface said:

Has anyone who hasn’t chosen to contact MSC actually heard a word from them about this? So many people will be blissfully unaware . I also wonder why MSC are offering people half price if paid upfront if your from certain country’s. If this was about the staff getting there fair share of tips why accept half won’t they get less money . Maybe others are happy to hand over hundreds of pounds before they receive a service and like sheep pay up no matter what kind of service they receive . 

The norwegian site still hasnt changed. I’m pretty sure it is against the strict norwegian laws on this type of thing, but will see next week if they change it.  

23 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Until Sidari brought this subject up here, I doubt that many knew anything about it (other than Facebook users).

I've since emailed MSC and a German TA (I have bookings with both) on the subject.  I await their replies.

Bea ... There was nothing on FB until I added it to a number of MSC pages I am a member of!

4 minutes ago, sidari said:

Bea ... There was nothing on FB until I added it to a number of MSC pages I am a member of!

Sorry, Dave.  I know that you spotted it on the website before this got discussed anywhere.

What do you think about it being in the online brochure (which I haven't checked out, yet - just going on something posted here) when the new drinks packages aren't!   🙄  I'm really surprised that Pete hasn't spotted it - he's usually the first on here with brochure news of changes.

Edited by Beamafar

I wasn't doubting it, IL ... but I appreciate you posting it.

I can't help but make the same point ... it's interesting that this latest change to the DSC situation is included in the brochure, yet they're still showing the old drinks package info, despite the fact that the new ones came into existence 3 months ago.

It seems obvious that this mandatory policy was thought out and agreed long before the brochure was put together (ergo, long before the drinks package changes).

Edited by Beamafar

8 minutes ago, bobhosk said:

Which is worded badly. That makes it sound like a one-off €10 charge per adult, €5 per child. No mention of 'daily' or 'per day'.

It does refer you to page 200 for further details where it then states that it's a daily charge (though no mention of it being mandatory  🙄)

947067124_ScreenShot2019-02-24at11_57_58.png.c31afc5b8d6b53267b75e231b13857c8.png

Edited by Beamafar

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I personally believe that it is as a result of so many removing the charge, Dave.  Otherwise there would be no need to make it mandatory.

However, we have no idea how the company distributes this charge and it's dishonest on their part not to include it in the fare upfront.  Too many mega-industries are getting away with evading their responsibilities on tax.

I also find it galling to be lectured by some who live in a country where the working poor are issued food stamps to allow the rich get richer on their backs by paying paltry wages - then guilt-tripping the population into paying tips to supplement said paltry wages.

Morning, You are right about the Rich getting richer, None of us on hear would be coincided poor, Or we would not be booking a Cruise costing thousands of £/$. The CEO of MSC is worth over $9 Billion, That's 9,000,000,000. I think that's the  right number of 0. Im sure some of you on hear will be glad to no he's well on his way to his $10 billion. But we are expected to subsidies his work force by giving tipps, What should be happening is every one working for a cruise line should be given a LIVINGWAGE. if this puts the cost of cruising up, Then so be it, If you can afford it that's fine, If not look else where. Im not saying don't give tips to people who you come in to contact with and you feel they have given you a good service, That's a personal thing, But to be told you have no choice. No that's not for me.
Im 72 yrs of age, I don't use the Kids club, I don't use the Gym,The  Spar,The Space invader games,  But I am excepted to tip the staff working there.  PAY  A LIVING WAGE, PROBLEM SOLVED.   

• Like 2

Last night I emailed the German TA with whom I have our upcoming Seaview booked.  Here's the response I received:

Thank you for your kind message.

As you booked on the German market the conditions are as follows:

On all our ships, it is customary to tip crew members at their discretion. We recommend the usual tip amount per person per night from € 10, - (Mediterranean, Northern Europe, United Arab Emirates, Cuba, Antilles, MSC Grand Voyages to these destinations as well as to the Caribbean, to USA & Canada, South Africa, South America & Asia) USD 12.50 (Caribbean, South Africa, South America, Asia, MSC Grand Voyages from these destinations to Europe). In order to facilitate a comfortable, discreet handling, the tip recommendation is already marked on your on-board account. If you wish, you can cancel or adjust this amount as you please at the Guest Service Desk."

Be sure you would have been informed about those additional costs by us.

They've quoted what it says on the MSC German website (that's the green bit).

• Like 2

Well ... I've asked them to clarify the matter with MSC.  I'll be really interested in hearing the response as the German MSC website hasn't been updated.  I now have a dated communication informing me of the conditions under which I booked.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edsareg said:

Morning, You are right about the Rich getting richer, None of us on hear would be coincided poor, Or we would not be booking a Cruise costing thousands of £/$. The CEO of MSC is worth over $9 Billion, That's 9,000,000,000. I think that's the  right number of 0. Im sure some of you on hear will be glad to no he's well on his way to his $10 billion. But we are expected to subsidies his work force by giving tipps, What should be happening is every one working for a cruise line should be given a LIVINGWAGE. if this puts the cost of cruising up, Then so be it, If you can afford it that's fine, If not look else where. Im not saying don't give tips to people who you come in to contact with and you feel they have given you a good service, That's a personal thing, But to be told you have no choice. No that's not for me.
Im 72 yrs of age, I don't use the Kids club, I don't use the Gym,The  Spar,The Space invader games,  But I am excepted to tip the staff working there.  PAY  A LIVING WAGE, PROBLEM SOLVED.   

The living wage argument is bunk..that’s not how most cruise lines operate. PERIOD.  Pay the DSC and tip your stewards, waiters etc. and move on. 

Who knew Europeans were such cheapskates? 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

The living wage argument is bunk..that’s not how cruise lines operate. PERIOD.  Pay the DSC and tip your stewards, waiters etc. and move on. 

What gives you the authority to instruct anyone on how to spend their money?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

What gives you the authority to instruct anyone on how to spend their money?

Just telling you what most folks would do, be the outlier, don’t pay...living wage, EU rules, blah, blah blah whatever makes you feel better. 

I’m sailing MSC in April, I’ll try and make up for at least one cheapskate who wants to stiff their room steward, etc...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

ive looked through the terms and conditions and I cant see anywhere the mention of Daily service charge, can someone post a copy of where it is in their booking please? 

Just to add we have just returned from our first Carnival cruise and under the terms of sailing from Barbados we had to pre pay the daily service charge when booking, The service I will add especially  cabin cleaning was poor and apart from our dining waiter other service poor too If I could have I would have reduced the amount and possibly removed it completely I dont like being forced to pay upfront for service yet received and certainly dont like paying for poor service