Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

They do have a point though, but at least with the 20% they did tell people about it in advance of it happening, the current crop of buffoons they have working for them need to be put in a liferaft and cast adrift.

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

They do have a point though, but at least with the 20% they did tell people about it in advance of it happening,

... but never told us it was because they were going to be giving people who'd never sailed with them before the same benefits as those of us who painstakingly built up points to attain the same benefits!  (Oh, the pain was excruciating, altogether  😱 :classic_biggrin:).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It's not too late to cancel your booking, and for over a year out no flights can be booked as yet!

Hi,, We may well do just that, But having just spoken to MSC customer service in the last 30 mins And by the way they are in full agreement with me,  that the enforced tipping is unfair on people who have existing bookings, They will be Emailing me on Monday to confirm that I do not need to pay the charge. But this is MSC so i will wait and see.
Just to clear some thing up, My cruise in April is in 2020, Not 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edsareg said:

Hi,, We may well do just that, But having just spoken to MSC customer service in the last 30 mins And by the way they are in full agreement with me,  that the enforced tipping is unfair on people who have existing bookings, They will be Emailing me on Monday to confirm that I do not need to pay the charge. But this is MSC so i will wait and see.

Thanks ... but here is what you posted:

Hiya , You are right in what you say, I have a cruise booked with them next April, 30 DAYS, It was booked last year,

5 minutes ago, edsareg said:

This was the response on Thursday to my questions about those with bookings already made, having previously asked about the DSC being Mandatory and being told it would begin on March 31st.

I am sorry Mr. D unfortunately  we just have the below information so far. If anything else we get to know on the same query we shall email you.

It's funny that people keep going back to the same cruise line to complain about bad service and not paying the DSC. Some people just never intended to pay for it.

This is about a discretionary charge being changed to make it a mandatory one - nothing to do with whether people pay it or not.  We're talking about MSC taking away the CHOICE!!!!  If this is a compulsory payment, then MSC needs to include it in the FARE and stop the tax-dodging.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

Thanks ... but here is what you posted:

Hiya , You are right in what you say, I have a cruise booked with them next April, 30 DAYS, It was booked last year,

Yes, That's why I have added to the post, Its a 30 day Cruise In April 2020. , Sorry if I confused any one. This is supposed to be a Holiday forum, But there is a lot of nasty bits flying around.

Just now, edsareg said:

Yes, That's why I have added to the post, Its a 30 day Cruise In April 2020. , Sorry if I confused any one. This is supposed to be a Holiday forum, But there is a lot of nasty bits flying around.

I agree ... the response you received in relation to cancelling didn't make sense if the cruise had been next April.  With a thread as active as this, it's easy to miss editing in a post.

I wonder if MSC will allow cancellations without forfeiting booking deposits.  🤔

4 minutes ago, sidari said:

This was the response on Thursday to my questions about those with bookings already made, having previously asked about the DSC being Mandatory and being told it would begin on March 31st.

I am sorry Mr. D unfortunately  we just have the below information so far. If anything else we get to know on the same query we shall email you.

Hi, I think it all depends on who you talk to, You will never get the same reply twice. Like I said its MSC I will wait till Monday and see what they say.

3 minutes ago, edsareg said:

Hi, I think it all depends on who you talk to, You will never get the same reply twice. Like I said its MSC I will wait till Monday and see what they say.

I've just realised that I totally misread your post to mean that you were 30 days out from your cruise "next" April.  It has since dawned on me that there are more than 30 days to go before we even reach the month of April.

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I agree ... the response you received in relation to cancelling didn't make sense if the cruise had been next April.  With a thread as active as this, it's easy to miss editing in a post.

I wonder if MSC will allow cancellations without forfeiting booking deposits.  🤔

Don't think so. Its MSC.
Just a quickie, Drinks Vouchers, I have around 20 of them left over from last April, Im not sure, But if any one is sailing before the end of March this yr , You can have them with Pleasure.

25 minutes ago, thetaro said:

It's funny that people keep going back to the same cruise line to complain about bad service and not paying the DSC. Some people just never intended to pay for it.

Ha ....well its another unauthorised policeman.

Do you all have your own uniform or share and work in pairs/shifts?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

Ha ....well its another unauthorised policeman.

Do you all have your own uniform or share and work in pairs/shifts?

Amazing how some folk hijack the thread, cast aspersions and then proceed to tell other people how to behave.

• Like 2

Why would you want to do such a thing - that is NOT what this thread is about!  Accusing people of wanting to remove the DSC is NOT expressing any opinion - it's jumping to conclusions.

Express your opinion, by all means, just stop turning this into something that it isn't.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

OK, so are you confirming your intent was to remove the service charge? 

No but I want the option to modify it or remove it as I was told I could when I booked I specifically asked this question directly to them before I booked . When you are travelling with 4 in a cabin it sure racks up and if we had a waiter like we did on our last MSC cruise I should have the option to remove and MSC confirmed this to me before I booked . 

• Like 3

On 2/21/2019 at 1:29 PM, Capitan Obvious said:

While that always "sounds" like a good idea, you really have to wonder if it is.

Example 1: Your cruise costs $800 plus $200 in gratuities for a total of $1,000

Example 2: Your cruise costs $1,000 total, gratuities are included

Example 3: Your cruise costs $1,000 total, and there are no gratuities anymore

Honestly....what is the difference?

P and O are removing gratuities in May and moving to Example 3. Don't think that somehow means that these costs won't still be paid.

The difference is different cruise lines charge different amounts by default.

It also makes it very annoying when you are searching for a cruise. If you're itinerary-led and not ship/line-led then you will run a search and look for the best deal. But you don't know what the best deal is because the gratuities are mostly an unknown.

I always presumed that them being optional was the only reason they're allowed to keep it out of the headline price. Would be interested to hear what the ASA thinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidari said:

Where is your proof that the DSC which will be mandatory from the end of March is because people have previously removed it ? Can you prove that the DSC actually goes to crew members ?

I personally believe that it is as a result of so many removing the charge, Dave.  Otherwise there would be no need to make it mandatory.

However, we have no idea how the company distributes this charge and it's dishonest on their part not to include it in the fare upfront.  Too many mega-industries are getting away with evading their responsibilities on tax.

I also find it galling to be lectured by some who live in a country where the working poor are issued food stamps to allow the rich get richer on their backs by paying paltry wages - then guilt-tripping the population into paying tips to supplement said paltry wages.

• Like 1

Has anyone who hasn’t chosen to contact MSC actually heard a word from them about this? So many people will be blissfully unaware . I also wonder why MSC are offering people half price if paid upfront if your from certain country’s. If this was about the staff getting there fair share of tips why accept half won’t they get less money . Maybe others are happy to hand over hundreds of pounds before they receive a service and like sheep pay up no matter what kind of service they receive . 

• Like 2

Until Sidari brought this subject up here, I doubt that many knew anything about it (other than Facebook users).

I've since emailed MSC and a German TA (I have bookings with both) on the subject.  I await their replies.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1