Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

20 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

I believe MSC have deliberately and knowingly decided not to inform booked guests and TAs and simply add it to their website. This strategy = disdain in my book.

I totally understand (and sympathize) with you. I've had my share of frustration with MSC also over the years.

• Like 1

BB ... MSC have employed a number of Ex NCL staff, the changes being made have come after these people had joined MSC, could be coincedence or it could be that MSC were going to con people with the drink packages anyway, who knows.

Our cabin steward on our recent MSC sailings was telling us that his relative had just started with NCL and was earning more doing the same job, we were also told that the new house keeping manager was from NCL and was trying to change everything to the disdain of the crew.

• Like 1

Not to go on like a stuck record - but when I booked, I was aware I would be charged a Discretionary Service Charge - which has retrospectively been made mandatory - if I argue that a 'service' wasn't provided to an acceptable standard, with my bank, or the regulator, I would be curious to see how MSC would or could defend something so subjective. 

Although I have always paid the DSC (apart from the one time I mentioned), I support people's right to adjust it, and I am suspicious of the method of collecting this charge (i.e. not built into the upfront fare - for tax reasons) - as I am not sure the staff directly benefit from this tax save. I also believe that the staff shouldn't have a discretionary sum making up part of their income - sure, I'd be happy if the pot was split amongst them as a 'bonus' but I dislike it being a core part of their remuneration.

I may challenge this when I return in May, from an investigative point of view - as I don't believe what MSC doing is right. They can change policy for new cruises booked from a certain date, but they should 'grandfather' the original policy to those who booked prior to the 'notification (LOL)' of this change. At the very least. I still think it should be adjustable, as, believe it or not, poor service does actually happen sometimes! 😮

• Like 2

Interesting that P&O can give their guests 6 months plus notice that they are removing the Gratuities and MSC give just over 5 weeks to say you have no option but to pay and even that is from Facebook comments by others. I am very disappointed last MSC cruise got talking to quite a few staff members including waiters and all said they hardly ever saw any Gratuities.I have always paid them direct so I know they get them.One loyal family who will be booking elsewhere after my last 2 cruises with them.

• Like 1

legin1 ... MSC have given no notice whatsoever to customers of the change, it was like the drink package changes, sneakily added to the updated UK website, it was only after I emailed them and added it here that people began to hear about it.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Not to go on like a stuck record - but when I booked, I was aware I would be charged a Discretionary Service Charge - which has retrospectively been made mandatory .....😮

I am fairly sure that the D stands for Daily, not Discretionary, albeit for some it has clearly been assumed to be discretionary!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hamrag said:

I am fairly sure that the D stands for Daily, not Discretionary, albeit for some it has clearly been assumed to be discretionary!

Yes you're right - I am conflating it with the terminology used on other lines. Still, don't appreciate the way MSC have handled/communicated the change to make it mandatory.

23 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Yes you're right - I am conflating it with the terminology used on other lines. Still, don't appreciate the way MSC have handled/communicated the change to make it mandatory.

I agree. When I booked it was both daily and discretionary. With the way it’s been handled by MSC the ‘D’ could also stand for devious.

• Like 2

I’m disgusted with MSC and after this upcoming cruise I refuse to travel with them again. I emailed them stating I booked my cruise over a year ago and could they let me know that this applys to only new bookings and recieved this

We can confirm that for all cruises sailing from 31st March 2019 all passengers will be required to pay for our Service Charge on-board. These service charges are mandatory and cannot be removed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Babybooface said:

I’m disgusted with MSC and after this upcoming cruise I refuse to travel with them again. I emailed them stating I booked my cruise over a year ago and could they let me know that this applys to only new bookings and recieved this

We can confirm that for all cruises sailing from 31st March 2019 all passengers will be required to pay for our Service Charge on-board. These service charges are mandatory and cannot be removed.

OK, so are you confirming your intent was to remove the service charge? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hamrag said:

OK, so are you confirming your intent was to remove the service charge? 

I'm confirming I AM 100% removing them and with infinitive guarantee... no doubts.

I'm moving my Oct booking too.

The DEVIOUS sevice charge will bite them hard, though obviously not by my minute actions!

• Like 1

Why are some people intent on turning this thread into a debate about the pros and cons of tipping? Right from the beginning this thread has been about MSC introducing a mandatory service charge and the regulatory/ legal implications of a cruise line making a compulsory charge after a confined booking has been made, not contained in the terms and conditions and appears to be contrary to the Package Tour regulations 2018 (EU and UK law). Let’s not conflate two very separate issues and if anyone wants to harangue other members regarding tips kindly do so on a separate thread.

Edited by Omega1
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

What I find somewhat amusing is wanting your Govt to get involved over a small service charge on a cruise line.  Baffling may be a better term. 

What else are y’all wanting your Govt to fix for you?  

Who is asking the Government to get involved?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

What I find somewhat amusing is wanting your Govt to get involved over a small service charge on a cruise line.  Baffling may be a better term. 

What else are y’all wanting your Govt to fix for you?  

Our government is about as handy as yours mate, wouldn't expect them to sort this, I personally couldn't see them successfully clearing dishes away properly 

• Like 1

I never remove DSC, but people who claim better service because of DSC are delusional. It's simply part of the cruise price and they do that so it looks competitive. I actually would prefer they include DSC in the price and make it mandatory. 

These overseas workers don't really get to see much of the DSC if any. They would worry more about being fired and stranded in the next island with no money to fly back to their own county. If you refuse to pay DSC because of "bad service", you are not really hurting the employees. You are making other customers to subsidize your rate. 

Frankly, I never really have any "bad service". Ya, sometimes the service is slow, waiters are not smiling at me, some mishaps here and there, guest service is rude. I am a little forgiving because I feel guilty when the cruise line exploits these foreign workers, so I got to enjoy a vacation for cheap. Cut them some slack and just enjoy the vacation.

Do you want better service? Tip with cash.

3 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

On a serious note and very much getting this back on track....

Has anyone established firm news from ABTA or the likes and is there hard copy of anything useful? 

I have not had time to look, but I intend to, so just checking to save time/effort

I’ve had an email from ABTA confirming case reference and requesting specific documents. Nothing from MSC.

• Like 1