Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

2 minutes ago, thetaro said:

I never remove DSC, but people who claim better service because of DSC are delusional. It's simply part of the cruise price and they do that so it looks competitive. I actually would prefer they include DSC in the price and make it mandatory. 

The problem is it's not being included in the fare price (which is a form of tax evasion as far as I'm concerned) and so is not transparent.  It's a downright sneaky charge.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thetaro said:

I never remove DSC, but people who claim better service because of DSC are delusional. It's simply part of the cruise price and they do that so it looks competitive. I actually would prefer they include DSC in the price and make it mandatory. 

These overseas workers don't really get to see much of the DSC if any. They would worry more about being fired and stranded in the next island with no money to fly back to their own county. If you refuse to pay DSC because of "bad service", you are not really hurting the employees. You are making other customers to subsidize your rate. 

Frankly, I never really have any "bad service". Ya, sometimes the service is slow, waiters are not smiling at me, some mishaps here and there, guest service is rude. I am a little forgiving because I feel guilty when the cruise line exploits these foreign workers, so I got to enjoy a vacation for cheap. Cut them some slack and just enjoy the vacation.

Do you want better service? Tip with cash.

Exactly!

Though in all these tedious tipping war threads I always say the same thing

Tip with choise and freedom ...surely that is a right. 

If MSC are to collect the DSC mandatory ...then add it to the fare, make it known.

But don't ...medle with existing bookings like with the drinks packages and be straight.

Edited by citizenfrank
spelling
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

The problem is it's not being included in the fare price (which is a form of tax evasion as far as I'm concerned) and so is not transparent.  It's a downright sneaky charge.

I agree. I have no issues whatsoever with a service charge being included in the overall price - in accordance with the law of the land. I object to underhand tactics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

I fully agree that MSC is sneaky when it comes to changing the terms and condition after purchase. That should be illegal and If that bothers some people, I fully support them to cancel the cruise.

Put your money where your mouth is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thetaro said:

I fully agree that MSC is sneaky when it comes to changing the terms and condition after purchase. That should be illegal and If that bothers some people, I fully support them to cancel the cruise.

Put your money where your mouth is.

That's easier said than done.  For my upcoming 2 cruises I have flights and hotels paid for, plus €876 in deposits paid on the cruise fares.  I can't just walk away from all that.

I really don't see how a company can mandate anyone to pay what was a discretionary charge at the time of booking.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

That's easier said than done.  For my upcoming 2 cruises I have flights and hotels paid for, plus hefty deposits paid on the cruise fares.  I can't just walk away from all that.  I really don't see how a company can mandate anyone to pay what was a discretionary charge at the time of booking.

Same here Bea.

And they can't ...it's just about dealing with it, collectively or individually, because as with the drinks saga it's wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

Same here Bea.

And they can't ...it's just about dealing with it, collectively or individually, because as with the drinks saga it's wrong.

Hiya , You are right in what you say, I have a cruise booked with them next April, 30 DAYS, It was booked last year,We sailed with them last April , The cruise was so bad they gave us a %10  discount of any future cruise. We cancelled the tips on the last cruise, And I always ask before I ever book ,CAN THE TIPS BE CANCELLED, I was told that there would be no problem just see the CS on board. The Family who own MSC are Billionaires' Let them pay the staff a LIVING WAGE , Then there will be no need for tipping. If by including the cost of the tips in the Advertised Price of the Cruise, Makes it to expensive , There are lots of other Cruise lines out there who will be glad of our money.  

• Like 2

The difficulty is going to be proving what T&Cs were in existence at the time of booking and/or on what date, exactly, was this mandatory policy introduced.  I also wonder if the company is legally required to notify those who've already booked that there is now a compulsory charge onboard.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The difficulty is going to be proving what T&Cs were in existence at the time of booking and/or on what date, exactly, was this mandatory policy introduced.  I also wonder if the company is legally required to notify those who've already booked that there is now a compulsory charge onboard.

I was provided with a copy of the t&c’s at the time of booking. You are entitled to a copy.

• Like 1

Just now, Beamafar said:

Hi, Its like I said, Before I ever book a cruise, I always ask Can the SC be cancelled , I was told by the MSC Customer Service people that it would be no problem. We are on a 30 day cruise, that adds around an other £600 to the cruise. Had I been told no you cant stop it then we would not have booked it.

13 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

I was provided with a copy of the t&c’s at the time of booking. You are entitled to a copy.

I usually get a copy of the T&Cs with my direct booking, but I didn't with our Oct direct booking, nor did I get one from the German TA that I booked our Aug cruise with. 

I've just emailed MSC, requesting a copy of the T&Cs I booked under.

Edited by Beamafar

1 hour ago, Omega1 said:

Why are some people intent on turning this thread into a debate about the pros and cons of tipping? Right from the beginning this thread has been about MSC introducing a mandatory service charge and the regulatory/ legal implications of a cruise line making a compulsory charge after a confined booking has been made, not contained in the terms and conditions and appears to be contrary to the Package Tour regulations 2018 (EU and UK law). Let’s not conflate two very separate issues and if anyone wants to harangue other members regarding tips kindly do so on a separate thread.

It still is about that, but we do understand that for those whose only intent is to remove such that it has become somewhat awkward....and we know that many wish 'other customers to subsidise your rate', as poster #174 states. Continue with the smokescreen of outrage if you wish, but be assured we know.....!

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

I agree. I have no issues whatsoever with a service charge being included in the overall price - in accordance with the law of the land. I object to underhand tactics.

You really don't do irony, I note!

43 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

.....I really don't see how a company can mandate anyone to pay what was a discretionary charge at the time of booking.

I agree, and still believe they will do the same as for the drinks package i.e. honour that for bookings before last week.

10 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It still is about that, but we do understand that for those whose only intent is to remove such that it has become somewhat awkward....and we know that many wish 'other customers to subsidise your rate', as poster #174 states. Continue with the smokescreen of outrage if you wish, but be assured we know.....!

Well you can enjoy Sat night now then ....must be great to have nothing better to do than hyjack threads just to get your 'gratuities police' uniform out of the closet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Continue with the smokescreen of outrage if you wish, but be assured we know.....!

Smokescreen of outrage - ha! Read the thread carefully, comprehend and leave your prejudices behind.

Be assured your lack of understanding and cynicism of the core issues in this thread is telling.

13 minutes ago, edsareg said:

Hi, Its like I said, Before I ever book a cruise, I always ask Can the SC be cancelled , I was told by the MSC Customer Service people that it would be no problem. We are on a 30 day cruise, that adds around an other £600 to the cruise. Had I been told no you cant stop it then we would not have booked it.

It's not too late to cancel your booking, and for over a year out no flights can be booked as yet!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

Smokescreen of outrage - ha! Read the thread carefully, comprehend and leave your prejudices behind.

Be assured your lack of understanding and cynicism of the core issues in this thread is telling.

The lady (or gent) doth protest too much, methinks!

Today on FB there have been posts made claiming that at least one person has been told via the Spanish MSC office that those already booked only need to pay 50% of the charge! on another post it was claimed that the travel agent had been told by MSC that it does not apply to those already booked! That is not the answer I got two days ago which was that the only info the UK office had was that the new Mandatory Daily Service charge would begin from March 31st.

MSC have been devious in how they have gone about this issue just like they did with the drinks package, add it to the website and hope no one notices! well someone did notice it, Me.

Can anyone here actually say what the DSC is actually for ? and I do not mean the statement from MSC about it, I mean what do we as cruise guests actually get for it ? we pay the cruise fare plus any add on`s and the crew get their wages, if the crew are not seeing any of it then MSC are pocketing money for nothing.

Post from FB .... 

Hi, Have just heard back from my cruise agent who contacted MSC regarding the compulsory service charges and as we booked before there announcement MSC has told them that we will still be able to remove these if we wish to, i will be taking there email on board with me, as we are on board for 28 nights starting April 1st which would add a further £560 to our cruise, I do tip but only if its deserved.

From MSC Spain we can get a 50% discount if we pre-paid gratuities before 30th April.

same in Italy....totally unfair if this won’t be applied to every worldwide booking

Frank ... Congratulations on the new job.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

What if you fly in less than 35 days? 

Can your sort the cancellation fees out? 

My comment was to someone who said their cruise is next April, and was specifically directed at that scenario!

As I have stated, twice already in this thread, my expectation is that ultimately MSC will honour those who booked before the change to mandatory was announced.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I agree, and still believe they will do the same as for the drinks package i.e. honour that for bookings before last week.

Not according to another poster who got this reply from MSC:

"We can confirm that for all cruises sailing from 31st March 2019 all passengers will be required to pay for our Service Charge on-board. These service charges are mandatory and cannot be removed."

You may have no problem with a company avoiding paying tax by not including this in their fare - I do.  As the company decides how this charge gets distributed, I have a major problem with this implementation.

11 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It's not too late to cancel your booking, and for over a year out no flights can be booked as yet!

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

My comment was to someone who said their cruise is next April, and was specifically directed at that scenario!

39 minutes ago, edsareg said:

Hiya , You are right in what you say, I have a cruise booked with them next April, 30 DAYS, It was booked last year,

How is next April over a year out?  The poster clearly stated, IN CAPITALS, that it's 30 days out.

• Haha 1

Another one from FB and the person has a point eh Bea ?

Mick we sail on April 1st for 27 nights and are a family family of 4 so it will cost us €1080. I will certainly be going to ask for service charges to be removed. MSC had no problem removing my 20% discount on our bookings as we are black card holders

• Like 2