Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

In Germany there will be no change, there is a judgement from BGH that the final price has to be fix. 

But for sure, we will be cruising for the last time with MSC in April 2019, because we dont like all these tricky changes (Aurea Package) without Information. We are glad that our booking will honor the old package, but we hate all this neccesary conversation with MSC.

Edited by KlausM999

3 minutes ago, KlausM999 said:

In Germany there will be no change, there is a judgement from BGH that the final price has to be fix. 

But for sure, we will be cruising for the last time with MSC in April 2019, because we dont like all these tricky changes without information. 

Same here...this year will be the last cruises for us with MSC...same thoughts on all the sneaky pricing without any information or communication...

I don't understand anyone wanting to remove the DSC's from their account.  You know it's there, and it takes care of the staff that serves you on the boat. Removing it reeks of cheapness to me.  IF you can't afford it, don't sail on ships that have this in place.  

Tipping in one form or another has been a part of cruising for just about forever.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don't understand anyone wanting to remove the DSC's from their account.  You know it's there, and it takes care of the staff that serves you on the boat. Removing it reeks of cheapness to me.  IF you can't afford it, don't sail on ships that have this in place.  

You need to read the whole thread in the context of EU (and UK) law - which is where the thread started. Nothing to do with cheapness, but everything to do with complying with consumer law.

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Tipping in one form or another has been a part of cruising for just about forever.  

Tipping is NOT normal in Europe. You only tip when there's good service...NEVER mandatory

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

CC rules do not permit you to call anyone names.  

Names??? In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

2 minutes ago, korpo024 said:

Names??? In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

You are not allowed to accuse someone of being a troll.  Maybe you'll find out if someone decides to report your post.

Nor do I need anyone to define what the word 'troll' means - my first language is English.

Edited by Beamafar

31 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Unless you're on the NCL board. Then it's flame away, 

Really?  We prefer things to be a bit more civilised around here.  :classic_biggrin:

Seriously, though ... this forum is generally respectful and a lot of time can be good fun, too, with a bit of banter among the regulars.

ETA ... To get back to the topic at hand;  I think I'll be doing the same as Dave and Omega.  I'll also be keeping an eye on the German site to see if the policy changes as one of my bookings is with a German company (though that's not particularly relevant as we, too, are EU members and have the same protections).

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

You need to read the whole thread in the context of EU (and UK) law - which is where the thread started. Nothing to do with cheapness, but everything to do with complying with consumer law.

I don't need a law to tell me what is right and wrong about tipping.  I did read the entire thread.  Seems an overreach by the EU to me.  Sailing on MSC in April....looking forward to it, no issues with tipping, etc...the line's are going to get their money one way or another.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

Thanks Bea I was just putting forward my views and that I will still enjoy my upcoming cruise no mater what changes are made as I have already applied my service charge to my booking I did not want to offend anyone and just showing that changes can be applied without notification. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, korpo024 said:

Tipping is NOT normal in Europe. You only tip when there's good service...NEVER mandatory

You saying that cruise lines haven't revolved around tipping since just about forever?  Cruise line employees are not paid like regular on shore workers in Europe.  You are on a ship...not at the local restaurant.  

6 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The thread is not about tipping;  it's about MSC making it compulsory to pay the Daily Service Charge which is another matter entirely.  (I'd wondered how long it would take for it to be diverted into a 'tipping' issue  🙄).

Bea ... It is also about the way that these things are carried out by MSC, you know add it and hope no one notices!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don't need a law to tell me what is right and wrong about tipping.  I did read the entire thread.  Seems an overreach by the EU to me.  Sailing on MSC in April....looking forward to it, no issues with tipping, etc...the line's are going to get their money one way or another.  

Good for you - but do stay on topic!

• Like 1