Very early arrival in Auckland airport from US

Bxmt54

I need suggestions on what to do or where to go for the few hours between our arrival at the Auckland, NZ airport and checkin time at our hotel.  We are scheduled to arrive at 5:30 am and can not check in until around 1 pm into a CBD hotel.  We will have our luggage, of course and don’t really want to be schlepping it all around the city.  I’ve heard of The Luggage Hotel and are considering it but someplace where we could rest a little as well would be wonderful after our 15 hr. flight.  Any info would be much appreciated!

Most hotels will allow you to check your luggage with them before check-in. If so, you may want to go directly to your hotel and leave the luggage. You may want to contact them to verify this.

Also some hotels will allow you to check in early if they weren't full the previous night, but you won't know that until you're there. You can probably wait in the hotel lobby if you want while waiting to check in.

I would definitely contact the hotel directly and ask them for their recommendation.

• Like 1

I have always been able to store luggage at my hotel both pre and post stays.  Then you should be in the area to tour after having a nice breakfast.  Most things won’t be open when you first arrive.  NV is correct, many hotels will allow you early room access f they had open rooms the night before.  You will not know that until you arrive however .

Hi, yes absolutely go straight to your hotel.  They will hold your luggage in a secure room then will also be aware that you might want an earlier check in (if possible).  Once in the CBD area there is so much to see within walking distance.  Wander down to the harbour and walk along towards the west to Wynyard Quarter (lots of restaurants along there).  Perhaps go up the Sky Tower and view the entire city and beyond from there.  Catch a ferry across to Devonport.  

I realise you will be tired so perhaps just find a relaxing spot down by the waterfront and relax 🙂

12 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Hi, yes absolutely go straight to your hotel.  They will hold your luggage in a secure room then will also be aware that you might want an earlier check in (if possible).  Once in the CBD area there is so much to see within walking distance.  Wander down to the harbour and walk along towards the west to Wynyard Quarter (lots of restaurants along there).  Perhaps go up the Sky Tower and view the entire city and beyond from there.  Catch a ferry across to Devonport.  

I realise you will be tired so perhaps just find a relaxing spot down by the waterfront and relax 🙂

From my experience with an early morning Auckland arrival, this is good advice.  It would be great to be able to get to your room when you get to the hotel in order to shower and change clothes.  Regardless of whether you can or cannot, keep active that first day, have an early dinner, and go to bed 9:00-10:30 P. M. Auckland time.  Doing this helped to prevent any jet lag for me.

Enjoy your visit to Auckland!  There is so much to see and enjoy and New Zealanders are a very friendly people!

My suggestion would be to check your luggage into your hotel (there shouldn't be any problem doing this).

Then head down Queen street to the harbour and catch a ferry over to Devonport.

The ferries to Devenport seem to leave and return every half hour and it is only a short ride across to there.

You can walk along the foreshore and look over to the city or enjoy the boats in the harbour.

There are wonderful houses and gardens to view along the foreshore and might be able to catch a ride on a horse drawn cart if it is still running.

There is also a wonderful main street to stroll along with unique shops and terrific coffee houses and cafes.

DSC05344.JPG

DSC05350.JPG

DSC05352.JPG

DSC05354.JPG

DSC05358.JPG

DSC05360.JPG

DSC05363.JPG

DSC05365.JPG

DSC05370.JPG

• Like 1

There is another alternative but it will cost money - book hotel for the night prior to your arrival then you can get straight to your room, lie down for a few hours then shower and head out on your adventure!  We have done this several times after those long flights to US or Europe.  There won't be much open at 6.30 a.m. Some hotels have 'day rates'

We have been checking hotels in Auckland for an upcoming visit. Several Novotel brand hotels have an inexpensive add on for early arrival or late departure. Found the option when starting a booking and it came up as an option. I hate sitting in hotel lobbies after a long flight, but feeling too tired to walk around. This will be a good option for us and less than the cost of the previous night add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, travelers07 said:

We have been checking hotels in Auckland for an upcoming visit. Several Novotel brand hotels have an inexpensive add on for early arrival or late departure. Found the option when starting a booking and it came up as an option. I hate sitting in hotel lobbies after a long flight, but feeling too tired to walk around. This will be a good option for us and less than the cost of the previous night add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, agree Novotel is great that way and have used them in London and US but it's hard to find many other hotels with the reduced day rate unless they are very close to airports. 

18 hours ago, sewgood said:

My suggestion would be to check your luggage into your hotel (there shouldn't be any problem doing this).

Then head down Queen street to the harbour and catch a ferry over to Devonport.

The ferries to Devenport seem to leave and return every half hour and it is only a short ride across to there.

You can walk along the foreshore and look over to the city or enjoy the boats in the harbour.

There are wonderful houses and gardens to view along the foreshore and might be able to catch a ride on a horse drawn cart if it is still running.

There is also a wonderful main street to stroll along with unique shops and terrific coffee houses and cafes.

This sounds perfect for us...also arriving very early and by the time we drop off our luggage and catch the ferry across I'm hoping there'll be a cafe open for coffee and a scone!  Love your pictures btw, I want to move there now!!  We've done the trip down under a few times as our son and daughter in law and baby granddaughter live on the south Island and we find no issues with jet lag if we do as has been posted and stay up the arrival day, lots of walking to stay awake and then early to bed!  

Thanks for this great suggestion sewgood!

Cathy

I agree with most posters. Go to your hotel have them keep your luggage and explore the city.  I have never been to Auckland so I can't comment on what to see.   To get acclimated to the time change it is best not to go to sleep when you get there.   We had the same issue when we went to Australia.  We arrived at 6am we dropped our bags at our hotel and went sight seeing all day.  We tried to stay up until 10pm but we both fell asleep around 8pm slept the entire night and was ready to get on our ship in the morning.