NCL - 4 Day Bermuda w/ 9 Month Old - Logistics/Excursion Help Needed

rikkikika

We just booked a NCL 4 Day Bermuda Cruise on the Getaway out of NYC with our 9 month old, not sure if this is a smart move, but we've done Disney with our son at 3 Months old, so I know how much "crap" I have to bring etc.  I am trying to figure out the following:

• How to do shows? Stand in the back of theater with stroller? Escape when necessary! :classic_wink:
  • Can I use a small baby pool (not filled with water) as a safe place for baby play on the sun deck while the family lounges? Something like below?

Fisher-Price Ring Ball Pit Play Pool

• What excursions can we do with an infant in Bermuda? I will have a infant seat/shuttle system, and would prefer that we could use seat belts to strap him into tour vehicles. 
  • How to handle bottles, RTF formula, ice packs, and baby feeding . . . .we are in a mini-suite, and have been told there is very small ice tray size freezer - not sure if that's going to cut it for the needed ice-packs.

Any other tips/advice for this itinerary, please share! 🙂  

excursions can we do with an infant in Bermuda? I will have a infant seat/shuttle system, and would prefer that we could use seat belts to strap him into tour vehicles.

the seat belts may not lock like they do in the US, so I'd invest in a locking clip and practice using it at home. That is, if the tour vehicles will even have seat belts. :)

Does your child still fit into the infant bucket properly? 1" above the top of the head and within the height and weight limits? If not, I'd look into getting a Cosco Scenera NEXT for travel. Would still need a locking clip, though.

What do you need ice packs for?

Can I use a small baby pool (not filled with water) as a safe place for baby play on the sun deck while the family lounges? Something like below?
is your baby crawling/cruising yet? It may be more difficult to contain him than a 3 month old. I remember how easy it was to travel with our 5 mo because he wasn't mobile yet, but once he started crawling at 7 months - hoo, boy...

Traveling with children I've found that private tours are better than ship tours because you control the itinerary and can leave whenever it is necessary.  If you arrange to just hire a car for the day, you can make sure it has seat belts and then you can go wherever you want to go and stay as long as you like (just make sure the operator knows you are bringing a car seat - we wound up short a seat in Costa Rica because they thought my 3 year old would just sit on someone's lap).    I would usually start with the list of ship tours, and search tripadvisor to see if there were any other family friendly attractions and then find a private tour company to duplicate whatever the ship is offering.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Does your child still fit into the infant bucket properly? 1" above the top of the head and within the height and weight limits? If not, I'd look into getting a Cosco Scenera NEXT for travel. Would still need a locking clip, though.

Yes, he's still not at the height or weight limit for the Chicco Fit2.  How is a locking clip used? and is this what you are referring too?

image.png.1c226387fddacd5d836a5c541ac28124.png

On 2/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

What do you need ice packs for?

is your baby crawling/cruising yet? It may be more difficult to contain him than a 3 month old. I remember how easy it was to travel with our 5 mo because he wasn't mobile yet, but once he started crawling at 7 months - hoo, boy...

We use a 32 OZ RTF formula bottle and pour into travel bottles for day trips.  Once the RTF bottle has been opened (factory seal cracked) and formula dispensed into portions, it must be chilled on ice packs like breast milk.  We can not use powder formula due to allergies. 

My son is not mobile yet. but I suspect that we will be by the time we depart on the Getaway in April. So looking for options that allow for a bit of freedom and not always restricted to the stroller. 

"We use a 32 OZ RTF formula bottle and pour into travel bottles for day trips.  Once the RTF bottle has been opened (factory seal cracked) and formula dispensed into portions, it must be chilled on ice packs like breast milk.  We can not use powder formula due to allergies. "  

The fridge/freezer on the Star was really small - I don't know what it is like on the Getaway.  I'd get a letter from your pediatrician, email it to the special needs department, who might be able to arrange for you to have a larger freezer in your room.  Or you can post this on the NCL board so someone whose been on the Getaway recently can describe their freezers.

52 minutes ago, rikkikika said:

Yes, he's still not at the height or weight limit for the Chicco Fit2.  How is a locking clip used? and is this what you are referring too?

I wouldn't drag a very expensive and large Fit2 with me on a cruise. I'd get a $40 Cosco Scenera NEXT instead.

You can transport it on a stroller like this or tied to a carry-on suitcase like this: 

kWlMJX4LlBn0diSHW3psarp13ugNuki4_lg.jpg

yR5SF042bJidr5KDllO7Xan2rGj6nW1o_lg.jpg

Yes, this is a locking clip, but you don't need a premium Diono locking clip. Every car seat company has one and they are very cheap. Some seats actually come with them (tucked in the back of the seat).

I am trying to remember, though, whether Fit2 has lockoffs, in which case you won't need a locking clip.

it must be chilled on ice packs like breast milk. 

I meant - to take it with you to the beach/excursions on ice or in the cabin? Cabins do have a tiny little fridge - just enough for a several 20 oz bottles of soda. We were on the Getaway in December, and I don't even remember whether the fridge had a freezer compartment. DH can't remember a freezing section either.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

• 3 weeks later...

There is no "freezer" section in a "dorm cube", which is essentially what the fridge is.  

Why not bring powdered formula (if you're not breast feeding, which is the easiest way to deal with babies!) so you can mix it as needed.  No need for special storage.

Although, at 9 mo. old, most kids are starting to eat oatmeal, rice, applesauce, etc....

11 hours ago, cb at sea said:

There is no "freezer" section in a "dorm cube", which is essentially what the fridge is.  

Why not bring powdered formula (if you're not breast feeding, which is the easiest way to deal with babies!) so you can mix it as needed.  No need for special storage.

Although, at 9 mo. old, most kids are starting to eat oatmeal, rice, applesauce, etc....

Suggest you read post #5. 

To the OP - bring a soft cooler and ask your room steward to keep it filled with ice. Put it in the shower stall in case it leaks. Special needs might be able to supply an actual refrigerator but remember it will take up precious floor space. That pool might be too large for the pool deck - Target has a cute little “duck” tub that is a much better size. They also fit in the shower if you don’t have a tub to bathe the baby. 

15 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Are you suggesting that the OP should start breastfeeding?