Alcohol package purchase on board

Sofac870

A colleague will be on a 5 day sailing aboard Liberty in a few weeks, she was told by RCCL that she won't be able to buy the Deluxe alcohol package aboard after the first day of sailing, is this something new? I was on FOS in september and if I remember correctly we were allowed to purchase the package at any time during the cruise.

Thanks

• Like 1

Let's just say for argument sake you are allowed two complimentary bottles of alcohol of your choice; but unfortunately, not able to consume them in time for departure. Now here is where I am going with this subject. Would the staff take away the bottles from you when checking out or would they let it go because they were complimentary bottles and you did pay for them indirectly?

Also if you are not a person that consumes more than 3 alcoholic drinks per day would it be better to pay as you go along? Would like your take on this please.:classic_unsure:

12 minutes ago, Lucid Butterfly said:

Let's just say for argument sake you are allowed two complimentary bottles of alcohol of your choice; but unfortunately, not able to consume them in time for departure. Now here is where I am going with this subject. Would the staff take away the bottles from you when checking out or would they let it go because they were complimentary bottles and you did pay for them indirectly?

Also if you are not a person that consumes more than 3 alcoholic drinks per day would it be better to pay as you go along? Would like your take on this please.:classic_unsure:

Normal yoneed to get through about 6 or 7 drinks a day to break even.

12 minutes ago, Lucid Butterfly said:

Not sure how you would get 2 free bottles of alcohol, but once you get them they are yours to keep. On our last cruise we were given 5 bottles of Champagne over our 12 night cruise, we took 4 of them to MDR and shared with the table, the last bottle we left in the safe along with 2 flutes and a note saying.. enjoy.. If you get the drink package and have 3 drinks a day as well as water and specialty coffee the package would be breakeven.  Martinis are now priced at 12.99 +  and mixed drinks a little less. One big advantage of the package is that you can try many different drinks and just toss the ones you don't like and try something else. happy cruising. 

I may be wrong, but I had thought that you could by it past the first day, and all drinks purchased beforehand were converted to the beverage package.  We have bought the package for the past two cruises ahead of time, so I admit that I am not up on the latest rules and regs.

1 hour ago, Sofac870 said:

A colleague will be on a 5 day sailing aboard Liberty in a few weeks, she was told by RCCL that she won't be able to buy the Deluxe alcohol package aboard after the first day of sailing, is this something new? I was on FOS in september and if I remember correctly we were allowed to purchase the package at any time during the cruise.

Thanks

The Liberty is only doing 7 night cruises.

Are you sure that it's not another ship?  Or is this a charter? If so, the rules are whatever the charter operator sets.

29 minutes ago, Lucid Butterfly said:

You cannot bring on bottles of liquor, just two bottles of wine per cabin.  (750ml)

If you don't drink your wine, no one cares what you do with it.

5 minutes ago, KiwiGal117 said:

I may be wrong, but I had thought that you could by it past the first day, and all drinks purchased beforehand were converted to the beverage package.  We have bought the package for the past two cruises ahead of time, so I admit that I am not up on the latest rules and regs.

You can buy the package past the first day, but I've never heard of them comping all drinks purchased prior to the package purchase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You can buy the package past the first day, but I've never heard of them comping all drinks purchased prior to the package purchase.

That's probably right.  I thought I read somewhere that they did that, but I can why they wouldn't!

42 minutes ago, KiwiGal117 said:

That's probably right.  I thought I read somewhere that they did that, but I can why they wouldn't!

I don't think that they could figure that out. 

In fact, on the last 2 cruises, we've had had phantom drink charges added to our accounts. On both cruises, the packages were purchased through the cruise planner in advance of sailing. On this most recent sailing, we had a pool bar drink charge ($8.56) added to each of our individual accounts on day 2. We had them removed, but it reminded me of the in room phantom bottled water charges. 

Check your statement mid sailing. :classic_biggrin: This was an older ship, with no TV access, as was our last cruise.  

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You're right, I thought it was the Liberty but it's acutally the Independance on a 4 day sailing out of Miami. 

The Liberty is only doing 7 night cruises.

Are you sure that it's not another ship?  Or is this a charter? If so, the rules are whatever the charter operator sets.

23 hours ago, Coralc said:

I don't think that they could figure that out. 

In fact, on the last 2 cruises, we've had had phantom drink charges added to our accounts. On both cruises, the packages were purchased through the cruise planner in advance of sailing. On this most recent sailing, we had a pool bar drink charge ($8.56) added to each of our individual accounts on day 2. We had them removed, but it reminded me of the in room phantom bottled water charges. 

Check your statement mid sailing. :classic_biggrin: This was an older ship, with no TV access, as was our last cruise.  

^ This. On our cruise we had 2 extra drinks added midcruise at the MDR, and, when I looked at my statement when I got home, there was a drink added late the last night at Boleros. There was also a gift shop purchase that was added twice, and an absolute bunch of charges from the salon that were wrong. Most everything has been straightened out. The salon charges we aren't sure on, but they at least made an attempt to fix it after 3 trips there to have it addressed.

Moral of the story, check your statement regularly. And if you do the salon, ask for pricing on everything at the time so you know what should and shouldn't be on your bill. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:33 PM, Merion_Mom said:

You cannot bring on bottles of liquor, just two bottles of wine per cabin.  (750ml)

If you don't drink your wine, no one cares what you do with it.

Yes I would understand that one cannot bring alcohol on board but I am talking about if I can't consume the bottles while I am on the ship and that they were complimentary bottles anyway would I be able to bring them off the ship without a hassle? I wouldn't be worried about the wine as I just have wine for dinner. It's the rum and vodka that I would be most concerned about. It is just a hypothetical question and just looking for your input on this subject.

I know that since I am not a huge drinker from the last trip I was on, I will just pay as I go. It will be worth it in the long run.  

Thank  you for sharing your views on this matter.😊

11 minutes ago, Lucid Butterfly said:

Yes I would understand that one cannot bring alcohol on board but I am talking about if I can't consume the bottles while I am on the ship and that they were complimentary bottles anyway would I be able to bring them off the ship without a hassle? I wouldn't be worried about the wine as I just have wine for dinner. It's the rum and vodka that I would be most concerned about. It is just a hypothetical question and just looking for your input on this subject.

I know that since I am not a huge drinker from the last trip I was on, I will just pay as I go. It will be worth it in the long run.  

Thank  you for sharing your views on this matter.😊

Yes, you can take the bottles off the ship.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Not sure how you would get 2 free bottles of alcohol, but once you get them they are yours to keep. On our last cruise we were given 5 bottles of Champagne over our 12 night cruise, we took 4 of them to MDR and shared with the table, the last bottle we left in the safe along with 2 flutes and a note saying.. enjoy.. If you get the drink package and have 3 drinks a day as well as water and specialty coffee the package would be breakeven.  Martinis are now priced at 12.99 +  and mixed drinks a little less. One big advantage of the package is that you can try many different drinks and just toss the ones you don't like and try something else. happy cruising. 

Honestly, I think 2  bottles were not free at all but hidden in the cost. The word complimentary has a nice ring to it but nothing is free I don't even think the Champagne was free but I gave the champagne to my neighbour and she was so grateful for it. I mentioned to the Cabin Steward that I would like mix and soft drinks to go with my alcohol. Anyway it doesn't matter; however, everything we do is a learning experience. I know what I will do for the next time. Thank you.😊

Edited by Lucid Butterfly
grammar mistake