Maya Chan or Jamies at the bluff

ranchette

7 hours ago, lmmphilly said:

Wondering if anyone can comment on if Maya Chan is worth going for only half day. We will be on Carnival Breeze

and we are only in Costa Maya from 7am-2pm, so we are only here for a short amount of time.

If it was me I wouldn't do it.  I loved Maya Chan because it was so relaxing but I'm afraid with that short of time I would be watching my watch the whole time! It does take a little while to get to the check in spot and then you have to wait until they get enough people to fill a taxi.  I think you would probably spend as much time getting there and back as you would have at the beach.  Just my opinion! I hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could be there 8-12 which is a solid 4 hours. Still worth it in my opinion. I'd prefer 48 hours,  but even 4 hours is a memorable moment in your vacation and plenty enjoyable and worth $59. 

2 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

If it was me I wouldn't do it.  I loved Maya Chan because it was so relaxing but I'm afraid with that short of time I would be watching my watch the whole time! It does take a little while to get to the check in spot and then you have to wait until they get enough people to fill a taxi.  I think you would probably spend as much time getting there and back as you would have at the beach.  Just my opinion! I hope this helps!

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. I’ll keep it in mind for next time we visit there! Really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Just got back from Costa Maya and we went with Jamie's.  It was amazing.  The food was really good and plentiful.  The drinks were not watered down and very tasty.  The beach was clean and the water was clear.  They had raked out the sea grass that morning and the water was crystal clear and not too deep.  Very few vendors bothered us, and those that did were quick to move on if you said no.  The area was not packed as he only accepts a limited number of bookings for the day.  We never had an issue getting food or drinks as the servers circulated around and the wait after ordering was very short.  Jaime was around a few time to talk and check on guests.  The resort is on a walkway with multiple vendors stands and other restaurants.  The taxi ride from the port was short and easy to find a taxi.  When we were ready to leave our server Juan found a cab driver for us and we were back at the port in no time.  I highly recommend him.

Teacher95

On 3/13/2019 at 9:21 AM, lmmphilly said:

Wondering if anyone can comment on if Maya Chan is worth going for only half day. We will be on Carnival Breeze

and we are only in Costa Maya from 7am-2pm, so we are only here for a short amount of time.

The Breeze is one of my favorite ships!

I think it depends on how close you like to get to the "back onboard" time? I'm guessing passengers must be back by 1:30pm? If you're ok with arriving close to that (and enjoy eating + drinking) then probably worth it. For me, I try and always get back about an hour BEFORE we're actually supposed to be onboard. Because I'm a nervous type. 🙂 So, factor that into your decision.

When we went, the roads were very smooth and it was a pretty easy journey. But I think that is changing constantly, and if there's a storm before you dock, the journey could take much longer given the size of the potholes. 

I posted some pics and information on Maya Chan in my review when we sailed the Rotterdam. You can find it here if that helps!

It is a very unique and relaxing experience, so it definitely wouldn't be a waste, even for a short period of time!

• 1 month later...

We went to Jaimes for spring break and this was my review.  I'm a clean freak and the bathroom was clean?  Cannot comment on fresh fruit.  I think it's a solid choice among the ones on the Malecon and it's at almost the very end. Vendors to me didn't bother me.  If you've ever been to Cancun - it's NOTHING like that.  These guys just walked by and you would wave your hand and it wasn't all the time - very sporadic.  And it was the same guys walking by so after the first time you waved them off they left you alone.

Hi, I was at Jaime's during spring break.  First time there.  We would definitely return.  The staff was consistently coming by and also would wait at the back for a hand wave.  We were able to walk up without res, grab chairs in the shade, and order a la carte.  They did offer the AI but we're not drinkers so it didn't financially make sense for us.  I did have pesos but everything was in US dollars and no problem there.  

Massages were $20/30 min and $30/60 min.  My hubby and I both took advantage of this!

The only comment I'll make is that the loungers could use a little updating.  The front row loungers looked nicer than ours in the shade, in hindsight I should have just asked them to be swapped out.

Sargassum wasn't an issue when we arrived in the morning.  By the time we left there was a little there probably about a 3 inch trail down the beach.  I did see the guy on the far left of property (not near the chairs) if looking at water shoveling it up.  Man what a job!

Service - 5 stars.  Food - 4 stars (personally I didn't like the fish tacos but everything else was delicious).  View and beach - 5 stars.  Massages - 4 stars.  Overall, I'd recommend this place without hesitation. 

Taxi was $8 flat each way.  IDK how to post pics or I would.  Happy to email them.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:54 PM, Texasgingerbread said:

We went to Jaimes for spring break and this was my review.  I'm a clean freak and the bathroom was clean?  Cannot comment on fresh fruit.  I think it's a solid choice among the ones on the Malecon and it's at almost the very end. Vendors to me didn't bother me.  If you've ever been to Cancun - it's NOTHING like that.  These guys just walked by and you would wave your hand and it wasn't all the time - very sporadic.  And it was the same guys walking by so after the first time you waved them off they left you alone.

Hi, I was at Jaime's during spring break.  First time there.  We would definitely return.  The staff was consistently coming by and also would wait at the back for a hand wave.  We were able to walk up without res, grab chairs in the shade, and order a la carte.  They did offer the AI but we're not drinkers so it didn't financially make sense for us.  I did have pesos but everything was in US dollars and no problem there.  

Massages were $20/30 min and $30/60 min.  My hubby and I both took advantage of this!

The only comment I'll make is that the loungers could use a little updating.  The front row loungers looked nicer than ours in the shade, in hindsight I should have just asked them to be swapped out.

Sargassum wasn't an issue when we arrived in the morning.  By the time we left there was a little there probably about a 3 inch trail down the beach.  I did see the guy on the far left of property (not near the chairs) if looking at water shoveling it up.  Man what a job!

Service - 5 stars.  Food - 4 stars (personally I didn't like the fish tacos but everything else was delicious).  View and beach - 5 stars.  Massages - 4 stars.  Overall, I'd recommend this place without hesitation. 

Taxi was $8 flat each way.  IDK how to post pics or I would.  Happy to email them.

Sorry to reprint you entire review, but I'm confused.  I thought and per DW's and Pirate's  recent experiences, you had to book a reservation in advance to be able to use Jaime's at Blue Reef.  But you are saying they offered ala carte as well?  Or just some items being on the AI menu and for anything else it's ala carte, or extra above the AI, which is how Nohoch Kay operates. 

Did you have prior reservations?  Could you make those as ala carte?  On the information Jaime sent to us for DW I didn't see any such option, but could have overlooked it. 

Just curious as I'm finding out that the practices Pirates reported and confirmed by DW, (aggressive tipping, pushing of shots, mediocre food prep) were conducted when Jaime wasn't on the premises.

Thanks,

12 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Sorry to reprint you entire review, but I'm confused.  I thought and per DW's and Pirate's  recent experiences, you had to book a reservation in advance to be able to use Jaime's at Blue Reef.  But you are saying they offered ala carte as well?  Or just some items being on the AI menu and for anything else it's ala carte, or extra above the AI, which is how Nohoch Kay operates. 

Did you have prior reservations?  Could you make those as ala carte?  On the information Jaime sent to us for DW I didn't see any such option, but could have overlooked it. 

Just curious as I'm finding out that the practices Pirates reported and confirmed by DW, (aggressive tipping, pushing of shots, mediocre food prep) were conducted when Jaime wasn't on the premises.

Thanks,

Yes we walked right up and sat down in the shade with no reservation and ordered a la Carter.  I contacted Jaime as well and asked if I could do an ala carte res in September and he doesn't do res except for AI.  I'm not worried though because we are the only ship in port that day.  And if he's booked I'm happy to walk to Yaya or even the others around there.  The day we were there 2 ships were in port.  And our ship was a megaship.  Unless a family or group has booked this place solid I dont really see us not getting a spot.  And there was plenty of availability all around at the other clubs which would be fine as long as I find shade.  I'm not going to stress.

Edited by Texasgingerbread

2 hours ago, Texasgingerbread said:

Yes we walked right up and sat down in the shade with no reservation and ordered a la Carter.  I contacted Jaime as well and asked if I could do an ala carte res in September and he doesn't do res except for AI.  I'm not worried though because we are the only ship in port that day.  And if he's booked I'm happy to walk to Yaya or even the others around there.  The day we were there 2 ships were in port.  And our ship was a megaship.  Unless a family or group has booked this place solid I dont really see us not getting a spot.  And there was plenty of availability all around at the other clubs which would be fine as long as I find shade.  I'm not going to stress.

That's a good info to know.   Thanks.

3 hours ago, Texasgingerbread said:

Was the food the same menu as the snacks listed on the website for AI or were there additional items? 

Do I understand you were given a menu with $ prices listed? Any idea of prices for food,  beer, mixed drinks?

was there a lounger fee?

Thanks!

On 5/9/2019 at 1:24 PM, c-leg5 said:

Was the food the same menu as the snacks listed on the website for AI or were there additional items? 

Do I understand you were given a menu with $ prices listed? Any idea of prices for food,  beer, mixed drinks?

was there a lounger fee?

Thanks!

Yes.  Menu was the same and had pricing on it.  We are not alcohol drinkers so the AI didn't make sense to us.  A coke was $3US and it was in a bottle.  Guac and chips were cheap less than $8, as were nachos.  I'm sorry but I didn't look at mixed drinks or beer pricing but everything was cheap.  No lounger fee as long as your ordered food and drink.

Edited by Texasgingerbread

1 minute ago, Texasgingerbread said:

Yes.  Menu was the same and had pricing on it.  We are not alcohol drinkers so the AI didn't make sense to us.  A coke was $3US and it was in a bottle.  Guac and chips were cheap less than $8, as were nachos.  I'm sorry but I didn't look at mixed drinks or beer pricing but everything was cheap.  No lounger fee as long as your ordered food and drink.

Thanks - sounds good! Maybe another option to consider! We rarely do AI.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, crewsweeper said:

Thanks,

Contacted Jaimie and was told anyone was welcome to use table and chairs and restaurant but loungers only reserved for AI and hotel guests unless it is a slow day and not reserved I suppose. May take a chance next time we are there if there is no sargassum as we are supposed to be the only (small) ship.

Edited by c-leg5

I was just at Jaimie's (5/15/19) and he wasn't there and there was NO pushing of shots or rude behavior as previously reported. I imagine the staff got a stern talking too after the last negative review. Shots were offered, but certainly not pushed. The staff was very mellow while still being attentive and friendly. When it came time to pay the bill, there was a large jar for tipping, without any pressure. It was a nice relaxing experience. The whole place was totally chill. The beach vendors were fine and not pushy when told no. The food was very good as were the drinks. I chose Jaime's over Maya Chan because it was closer and we were limited on time. I think it took longer to get through all the vendors at the port (THEY were pushy) and finally reach the taxi stand then the actual taxi ride took. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

Can anyone tell me price of Costa Maya.   How much is taxi from port.  Thanks so much.  

Do you mean Maya Chan? All information is on their website

http://costamayabeachresort.com/reservations

Transport included but need to walk through port and outside to reach taxi station.

Costa Maya is the port area.

Mahahual is the village just outside the port.

Maya chan is a few miles south of Mahahual.

Edited by c-leg5

20 hours ago, charlielinda said:

Can anyone tell me price of Costa Maya.   How much is taxi from port.  Thanks so much.  

A taxi from the port of Costa Maya into town is $8 each way.  FLAT rate.  You can also use a wagon thingy but I'd just taxi it personally.