Maya Chan or Jamies at the bluff

ranchette

56 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

I'm not familiar with these 2 locations?   Any help would be appreciated!  😎😎

Maya Chan is an AI south of the malecon in Mahahual, the "beaches at Costa Maya. It doesn't get the "traffic" that the malecon has so is quiet.

http://costamayabeachresort.com/

Jaime's at Blue Reef is an AI on the malecon. It does have some of the malecon traffic but Jaime keeps the vendors away and doesn't use "jaladores", street hustlers, to solicit patrons.

https://jaimesatthebluereef.wordpress.com/

Both limit the number of people and both require advanced reservations.

• Like 1

It's not even comparable.  Maya Chan.  Stmar is right, Jamies is great and a good plan B, but Maya Chan is on a different level without a doubt.  6 adults would have an AMAZING time at Maya Chan.

Thanks! This is something we would rather do than ride in a bus to see ruins.  So is Maya Chan on the caribbean with the gorgeous turquoise waters?  

And I checked with Maya Chan and if the ship cannot dock, we will get a refund.  That's perfect!

34 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

Thanks! This is something we would rather do than ride in a bus to see ruins.  So is Maya Chan on the caribbean with the gorgeous turquoise waters?  

And I checked with Maya Chan and if the ship cannot dock, we will get a refund.  That's perfect!

Gorgeous turquoise waters?  Hit or miss.  Usually more of a miss to be honest.  Costa Maya in general isn't the home of the greatest beach/clear, postcard type waters.  But Maya Chan more than makes up for it.

Here's what I would do.  Maya Chan will give you a refund even if your ship docks.  They care about their reputation more than your groups money, I can assure you.  When you get to the meeting point, if the beaches aren't nice, they will show you pictures and offer you a full refund right then and there.  If there is seaweed and terrible water, they will almost try and get you to take the refund!

If you decide to take the refund at that point, then just head over to the malecon where there are countless beach spots like Jamies, Blue Kay, Tropicante, Krazy Lobster, etc.  Maybe the water will be better there.

Edited by BNBR

10 minutes ago, ranchette said:

Which place has more shade Maya Chan or Jamies?

Maya Chan sets you up in your own private shaded palapa with hammock and day bed.  There is no first come first served anything.  You have your area to yourself and reserved.  If you want even more shade, they'll set up more umbrellas or whatever you need.  The bar area is totally shaded as well.

Here is a picture of our palapa at Maya Chan last week. The seagrass was bad so they gave us the option to cancel. We chose to go and they gave us a 10% refund since the water activities were limited. We were able to float around in the water chairs for awhile. We loved it there and would go back again. I hope this helps!

20190222_093459.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, BNBR said:

It's not even comparable.  Maya Chan.  Stmar is right, Jamies is great and a good plan B, but Maya Chan is on a different level without a doubt.  6 adults would have an AMAZING time at Maya Chan.

Okay BNBR - help me please (or anyone else!)  I have emailed both locations, both very accommodating.  I am leaning towards Jamies, simply because the loungers look more comfortable than the wooden chairs, and the menu is more to the hubs liking. 

So why do you define Maya Chan on a diff level?  (I do like that they provide transport) And we are a tad older, so relaxation is the key, with very limited water time - if that helps with your explanation.  Thank you!

9 hours ago, CM1984 said:

Okay BNBR - help me please (or anyone else!)  I have emailed both locations, both very accommodating.  I am leaning towards Jamies, simply because the loungers look more comfortable than the wooden chairs, and the menu is more to the hubs liking. 

So why do you define Maya Chan on a diff level?  (I do like that they provide transport) And we are a tad older, so relaxation is the key, with very limited water time - if that helps with your explanation.  Thank you!

Jamie's is on the malecon. Public. Vendors, lots of people, bunch of lounge chairs on the beach, etc.  Maya Chan is way out of the way, private. You get a private palapa for just you, no vendors, amazing service, water toys, just a completely different and better experience. 

11 hours ago, CM1984 said:

Our group were aged 65-72. We found the wooden chairs to be very comfortable and a lot easier to get in and out of then most loungers. We also enjoyed the hammock and day bed. It really is like having your own private beach. Very relaxing!

I love the wooden chairs. Just ask for a foot stool if you want one and the chairs do recline. They do have a few loungers if you prefer, just ask beforehand. Nicest people. 

We are convinced!  I just finished our reservation request to Maya Chan!  Hooray.  Thank you so much for your help, made all the diff!  

We are just not excursion people, done enough.  We are the 67 & 70 couple, and are still wondering how did we get to this age so fast, mentally I feel 33!  😅😎

• Like 1

You will love it and it's exactly what you seem to be looking for. I've never been to a more relaxing place. Being so private, it just has this relaxed vibe unlike any other place. 

5 hours ago, BNBR said:

You will love it and it's exactly what you seem to be looking for. I've never been to a more relaxing place. Being so private, it just has this relaxed vibe unlike any other place. 

Yes, I know I would have, they are booked with long Wait List!  Oh well, back to Plan B - thanks for all  your help.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:36 PM, ranchette said:

Which place has more shade Maya Chan or Jamies?

Cannot comment on Jaimie’s as we have never been.

I have been to Maya Chan more than once and agree the palapas as posted above are great but be pre-warned - depending on the size of your party, the palapas are only for groups. 

Your location is reserved in advance by the management. We have had palapas for a group but “as a returning couple” we were disappointed to find we were only  allocated an umbrella.

Now that Maya Chan has become so popular and is often sold out I would definitely discuss location in advance if I went again as a couple, as I need shade. As you appear to be traveling as a group this probably won’t affect you.

Another problem with their increased numbers and popularity is that the dining facilities have not increased. There is plenty of food (don’t worry!) but when it starts to be served there are long lines and the shaded dining area is packed. We tend to wait until later but it seems the majority of people need to dine immediately so you may need to take that into consideration.

Edited by c-leg5

On 2/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, ranchette said:

How soon should we make a reservation for Maya Chan we are not going until next February? Do you give a deposit or have to pay in full when you make the reservation.

We went to Tropicante last year and enjoyed that too.

I would do it immediately, they fill up fast and we got shut out last trip. If I recall you pay in full or at a certain time before you arrive. Email Mark and he will take care of you and explain the options, nice guy.

I was going to pick Maya Chan.  I emailed them and asked if they could set up a snorkeling tour for the two of us and they said they could not.

Jaime's will do it for 25$ per person.  Also Jaime's only charges 19.99$ for my ten year old grandaughter.  Maya Chan was 49$

That was not really important, but the snorkeling tour was.

We would like to snorkel every port.:classic_smile:

Maya Chan isn't in the commercialized area, so you don't have tour boats anywhere near them. Jamie's is obviously a better choice if snorkeling is more important than the beach day itself. You'll have a good time. 

I just returned from Jaime's . The food and drink were very good as was the service . The setting itself was just OK . The area is chockablock with bars , touristy stores and hundreds of aggressive hawkers . Jaime's staff did little to discourage them from coming to your lounge . Their change rooms were the toilets which were not so clean . Finally although the food was good , I had to be assertive to get some fresh fruit , going to the manager after the waiters said no . Also there are no desserts at all . At $50 it was fair value. 

I was not disappointed but would likely check out somewhere else next time .

• Like 2