One Main Course

djhsolara

We don’t cruise to eat.  Especially since it is banquet food in the MDR.

This is a really simple decision.  If you do not like the policy, if implemented, then simply vote with your feet and book another cruise line.    

• Like 2

Regarding this thread I find it highly offensive that the Holier than Thou people feel that a second entree is wrong. Background: I am a healthy 6 foot four male - I am not a glutton or a pig - I have a healthy appetite for my body type and metabolism. And no I don’t weigh 700 + pounds. I weigh 180 pounds. 

I am Italian by background - pasta is part of my daily life and always has been - pasta for dinner followed by a meat / fish main dish. I don’t see why I should have to eat differently while on vacation.

when I cruise I have a pasta main and a meat main - I don’t see what the problem is and why so many of you are pontificating on the evils of a second entree. I have no problem if it is eaten - if someone wastes it then that is another story. 

From a financial perspective - following some of these threads I see that NS State dam Carib cruises can be had for $599 /$ 699 / $799. So add another $70 for the week for a plate of pasta. How does that even begin to make sense?

The majority of the self-righteous on this thread claim they never have a second but apparently it is an issue for HAL. But remember , this is only the beginning of the slippery NCL slope. What is next ? A fee for room service? For dive-in burgers? This is probably only the start. If HAL cannot earn acceptable ticket revenues - it will try to maximize onboard revenue - and thereby cheapen what was once a great product. Rememember the great canvas bags we used to get instead of the dispoable ones we now get? I can just hear the chorus “ As long as it makes the cruise cheaper, it is ok”. As the product continues to cheapen there will be less and less delineation between HAL and the lower tier competition. The hardware may be great - but in order to pay for it - the software suffers.

Edited by RD64
  • Like 5

I need a getaway with my DH,  I was looking at the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam Mexican Riviera first week of April.  Now I am thinking land vacation Hawaii instead.  Not that  I ever get a second entree, only once, actually, and because the first one was not to my liking, so I didn't eat it.  I was just going to move on to dessert but the waiter asked if I did not like it.  I said "no" so he offered another.  I said "no, it's ok.  He said "it really is no problem I can get you something else" So I did.  

The problem is that HAL has been my favorite cruise line for a very long time, long before Carnival Corp purchased them.  One of the things that I love about HAL compared to Carnival, NCL, RCCl, and even to some extent Princess and Celebrity, is that they have always seemed a little more classy/elegant.  I think this is just another slash in the death by a thousand cuts.  

Edited by imescaping
grammer
  • Like 5

I did not read through 17 pages of responses and we are not usually big eaters but I do have to say I'm disappointed to hear about this decision from Holland America to charge for a second entree. Sometimes they'll be options on the dining menu that are difficult to decide between and I have certainly decided to share them between my husband and myself. Never had a problem before. I don't know if we can ask for a smaller size like an appetizer portion and maybe that would be okay? It's just really disappointing because one of the things we love about cruising is the dining experience. We have been cruising Oceania and celebrity now for several years and have really fallen in love with them. We are coming back to Holland America for 2 cruises this year almost back to back and it has been probably 10 years since we have been on Holland America. I think I'm very disappointed with a lot of their choices including their changes in their beverage package. I'm sure we'll have a great time of course but I feel like maybe there's a lot of nickel-and-diming going on.

• Like 2

The reason that people are reacting to this is that it is the latest in a long line of changes to things that make a cruise enjoyable -- like librarians, ice sculptures, dessert extravaganzas, singers and dancers, etc.  Too many changes make it a different cruise experience and not for the better.

• Like 6

In all of our cruises on HAL, we might have ordered an extra entrée to share a couple of times.  We are booked on a 28 day cruise on the Eurodam this month and I intend to visit guest services when we board to ask about the new policy.  This was not the policy in effect when we booked and paid for the cruise, therefore the changes should not be implemented on our cruise.

I wouldn't stop sailing with HAL over this, but it does add fuel to the "try another cruiseline" fire.  To those of you who say that those of us who don't like the changes should just stop sailing with HAL, there is the issue of being Four Star and paying a lot of money to achieve the perks we have now earned.  We like the free unlimited laundry (that we have earned) and the 50% discount in specialty restaurants and on wine packages.  We also like the early boarding perks.  So, to abandon HAL means to abandon our earned rewards.

By the way, do Four and Five star Mariners get a 50% discount on the $10 upcharge?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ithaca gal said:

This was not the policy in effect when we booked and paid for the cruise, therefore the changes should not be implemented on our cruise.

Sadly, if you read the details about reservations, you'll find that "Carrier may, for any reason, without prior notice, ... modify any activity on or off the ship"  That's from the Holland America contract, but it's fairly standard that a cruise line can make changes at any time.

And, it's not a change, yet.  It's a test.

This is a tempest in a teapot.  When you are comparing cruise prices just include a few extra dollars for HAL if you are predisposed to having two entrees from time to time (or every night).

Really, it is a lot of fuss and angst about nothing.  Pay, don’t order a second entre, or pick another cruise line. Pick one.  How hard is that decision?  Or you could  forgo one cocktail on those days or play fewer Bingo cards.

it may not even happen so why get your knickers in a twist over something that has not  happened and might not even happen?

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, iancal said:

This is a tempest in a teapot.  When you are comparing cruise prices just include a few extra dollars for HAL if you are predisposed to having two entrees from time to time (or every night).

Really, it is a lot of fuss and angst about nothing.  Pay, don’t order a second entre, or pick another cruise line. Pick one.  How hard is that decision?  Or you could  forgo one cocktail on those days or play fewer Bingo cards.

it may not even happen so why get your knickers in a twist over something that has not  happened and might not even happen?

But it is happening. On my 28 day cruise. 

It’s just one little $10 surcharge. Until the next test. What if it is a slippery slope?  If we accept this without a fuss, what’s next?  

• Like 4

Occasionally I order a 2nd starter, mainly if I can't decide between two soups.  We have never ordered a 2nd main entree, so won't affect us in the slightest.  If you are a big eater or have a growing Teenager, I can see where you are coming from, but suggest a midnight snack in the buffet.

Everyone else, would you really order 2 entree in a land based restaurant, to pick at them?

We are just off the Westerdam and there was no charge in the main dining room for ordering an extra main entree and while we didn't order an extra, on a couple of evenings our waiter did bring one because he wanted us to try and share something we didn't order.

The issue is that cruisers do have a choice if this policy is implemented.  They do not have to accept it.  Simply switch cruise lines.  It is that easy.

Mass market cruise lines, which includes HAL, have been sliding down a ‘slippery slope’ for years.  If it was not this it would be something else or perhaps another cut somewhere.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

My next cruise is a transatlantic on MSC.  No charge for 2nd entree's. They status match other cruise lines with some actual, tangible benefits (OBC, 5% discount on ALL cruises, etc.). 

This will be my first MSC. I'll report back.  

This kind of nonsense HAL is pulling  will definitely affect my cruise spending. I'm into bodybuilding and frequently need more protein than the average person.  I already pay the single supplement.  Do I now start demanding a 2nd seat at the table and 2nd everything? It would be fair if I did.  

Stop it, HAL, before it's too late. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

We are just off the Westerdam and there was no charge in the main dining room for ordering an extra main entree and while we didn't order an extra, on a couple of evenings our waiter did bring one because he wanted us to try and share something we didn't order.

This policy started March 1st!

Yes often with a group we did order a couple extra entree for all of us to share! Often a waiter surprised us with something to try!

In land based restaurants we often as a group order extra entree to share! Often a better choice than odd appetizers!

9 hours ago, iancal said:

When we read some of these posts we can easily understand why America is well down the list (number 35) of the world’s healthiest nations.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-24/spain-tops-italy-as-world-s-healthiest-nation-while-u-s-slips

Perhaps HAL is trying to move the needle up a place or two.

I don't need HAL to look after my health.  HAL is a cruise line, not a health advocacy organization or health policy making agency.  

Roz

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Wasasalad said:

This policy started March 1st!

1. It’s not yet policy; it’s a test.

2. The first post on this thread is dated Feb 24th, so the charge was underway before March 1st.

• Like 2

We have been on dozens of cruises.  We like HAL, Windstar, Oceania, and Princess.  If this becomes policy, we will not be sailing on HAL again.  It is simply the principal.  What I do, wear, eat, etc...is none of your business (as long as it conforms to ship policy) and what you do is none of mine.   Cruising should be care free and fun, don't nickel and dime me.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

1. It’s not yet policy; it’s a test.

2. The first post on this thread is dated Feb 24th, so the charge was underway before March 1st.

It is a test that is the policy on four ships this month.  To those of us travelling on those ships this month, it's policy.

15 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I admire your  enthusiasm .... I wish you were right.    The extra charges the airlines are making  food, bags, entertainment  even reserved seats..  are making then hundreds of millions each year.  and traffic is up to record levels     HAL sees this..... Judging from the language in their public statement.....I conclude the decision has already been made months ago.... they are just softening  the impact up.

People will continue to book brought in by  the low fare... and the profits will be made, as always  in all the little extra charges here and  there. Most wont notice it till the bill comes due of just how much their cheap fare really cost them when all is said and done.      NO, its going to happen .  Sit back and suck it up is the only option

That is why I only fly southwest

• Like 4