Question about S&S cards

aknguyen

Can I set up my son's S&S card with cash and not attach it to a credit card? He's saved up some birthday and Christmas money and wants to be able to use it on the cruise. I don't want him to be able to rack up charges once that's gone without my permission. Thanks!

Don't forget that his gratuities will hit his S&S card, as well.  You can still attach it to your credit card and any cash applied to his account will be used before using the credit card.  You can also set a limit for spending on his card at the kiosk or at Guest Services.

2 hours ago, aknguyen said:

Can I set up my son's S&S card with cash and not attach it to a credit card? He's saved up some birthday and Christmas money and wants to be able to use it on the cruise. I don't want him to be able to rack up charges once that's gone without my permission. Thanks!

Yes. I would prepay his gratuities. I think this is a great way to work on his financial skills.

You can set a spending limit for minor accounts now during online check-in.  Just leave his account attached to your credit card and have him give you the money he wants to spend.  If it is $50 then set a $50 limit.  He can then spend up to that amount and should have the ability to monitor it throughout the week for budgeting.

Edited by ray98

33 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

I think there may be a 500 dollar minimum if using cash deposits, unless something changed or kids may be different?

No.  There is a recommended minimum of $100 - $350 per person, depending on the length of the cruise.  You can actually board and put nothing on your account (of course, you couldn't spend anything either). So they would be good to go with the cash method for this 😉

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/~/sail-%26-sign-onboard-account

16 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

No.  There is a recommended minimum of $100 - $350 per person, depending on the length of the cruise.  You can actually board and put nothing on your account (of course, you couldn't spend anything either). So they would be good to go with the cash method for this 😉

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/~/sail-%26-sign-onboard-account

There is no minimum. On the Fantasy in January I had prepaid gratuities, already booked and paid for my excursions and had $50 OBC. I added $0 to my account and chose to not link it to my credit card. The lady looked at me like I was nuts at check-in. However, when I got my final bill, I still at a credit and left it for St. Jude's.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. We did pre-pay tips so there's not a concern about that portion. His S&S would be strictly for spending his own discretionary money. We'll pay for stuff like movies or specialty restaurants that are part of the family experience. We told him he can use his saved money on whatever crap that I'm not going to pay for...like arcade games and candy. We do similar things at home but he uses cash.

• Like 1

Yes, I normally apply my account with cash. Typically only start with $100 or so and add more if needed. I've cruised with someone who spent NOTHING on board besides gratuities, and he didn't apply money until about the third day to cover that. IF you owe at the end, they won't let you off until you settle up.

I would still set it up with your credit card, but since he's a minorr, have them put a $50 spending limit on his card.  He won't be allowed to spend beyond whatever amount you set.  Then, on the last day before your cruise ends, take him to Guest Services and let him pay his $50 onto his account.  He will feel like a grown-up.