How much is Glacier Bay worth (X vs. Princess)?

Alsmez

We are usually X cruisers but are currently looking at a September 2020 cruise to Alaska with my parents (late 70s) and considering Ruby Princess as well, primarily for Glacier Bay. It will be my parents' very first cruise so they really don't know much about any of the lines and are looking to us to guide them. The X itinerary is on Solstice, and we love S-Class ships, so if the itineraries were the same that's probably what we'd do. However, X doesn't go to Glacier Bay - Solstice would go to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier instead (the rest of the itinerary is the same for both ships). 

Now, if prices were the same, we'd choose Ruby for Glacier Bay. However, Princess is currently quite a bit more expensive than X. I was able to book concierge class balconies on Solstice with two perks (drink package and $525 OBC for each cabin) for $1500pp. An equally-nice balcony on Ruby is currently around $1750, no perks, no OBC. My parents aren't big drinkers but my husband and I do like having the package, so that would cost us each another $450 on Princess, bringing the real cost up to $2200. When you factor in OBC, Princess is nearly $900pp more, or $3600 for four people. Is Glacier Bay REALLY that much better than Dawes Glacier? Seems like that would pay for a LOT of cool excursions in ports. I know this is a tough thing to quantify so I would really appreciate some opinions. Also, any insight as to when/whether Princess might run a sale on Alaska 2020 itineraries would be great! Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

We are usually X cruisers but are currently looking at a September 2020 cruise to Alaska with my parents (late 70s) and considering Ruby Princess as well, primarily for Glacier Bay. It will be my parents' very first cruise so they really don't know much about any of the lines and are looking to us to guide them. The X itinerary is on Solstice, and we love S-Class ships, so if the itineraries were the same that's probably what we'd do. However, X doesn't go to Glacier Bay - Solstice would go to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier instead (the rest of the itinerary is the same for both ships). 

Now, if prices were the same, we'd choose Ruby for Glacier Bay. However, Princess is currently quite a bit more expensive than X. I was able to book concierge class balconies on Solstice with two perks (drink package and $525 OBC for each cabin) for $1500pp. An equally-nice balcony on Ruby is currently around $1750, no perks, no OBC. My parents aren't big drinkers but my husband and I do like having the package, so that would cost us each another $450 on Princess, bringing the real cost up to $2200. When you factor in OBC, Princess is nearly $900pp more, or $3600 for four people. Is Glacier Bay REALLY that much better than Dawes Glacier? Seems like that would pay for a LOT of cool excursions in ports. I know this is a tough thing to quantify so I would really appreciate some opinions. Also, any insight as to when/whether Princess might run a sale on Alaska 2020 itineraries would be great! Thank you!

Glacier Bay is a totally different experience from Dawes Glacier/ Endicott Arm.  Both are good experiences.  You should do Glacier Bay at least once, so if you can spring for it, do it!  If not, Dawes/ Endicott is good, too.  I am happy that I have done both.  

Just now, Cruiserkenn said:

Glacier Bay is a totally different experience from Dawes Glacier/ Endicott Arm.  Both are good experiences.  You should do Glacier Bay at least once, so if you can spring for it, do it!  If not, Dawes/ Endicott is good, too.  I am happy that I have done both.  

Thanks! I'm sure this will not be a one-and-done destination for me and my husband, but for my parents, it might be. To be honest, though, I am more concerned that they have a great time on the ship and enjoy the cruise itself than worried that they will "miss out" by not seeing Glacier Bay. Since they are getting older and my dad has some mobility problems, cruising would be a great way for them to continue enjoying travel, as long as they enjoy cruising! I have no doubt that Ruby is a lovely ship, but since we know the S-class product very well, it feels like the "safer" choice, especially given the pricing.

We cruise to Alaska every year.  I would not book unless it includes Glacier Bay.  It is an amazing place that you will never forget. They let only a few ships into see the Marjorie.  If you see a photo of a cruise ship in Alaska it is probably sitting in Glacier Bay.  The cruise always costs more but for us it is worth every penny. The ship picks up a park ranger on the way in.  When in front of the Glacier the ship shuts down and sits first one side facing the glacier then the other.  I have yet to be there (10 years running) when it does not calve. 

• Thanks 1

It’s hard to put a price on the experience of seeing and being at Glacier Bay.  

It  is worth a lifetime of memories, a unique and serene experience.  

There’s Alaska, and then there’s GLACIER BAY. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to go against the grain here...

Glacier bay is impressive if the weather is clear.  If its foggy - its not as impressive.  We actually prefer Tracy Arm after being to Glacier and Tracy Arm mainly since you can be so close to the cliffs and its impressive regardless of the weather.  I cant comment on Dawes glacier.

Glacier Bay

Nl-u1tUTyd7mnH6fTDF5Ekd6BAwzeW48kukxoXorBl9wWD0Kiv6Mo7tVlJI1U_yrQZOk5n1U3LGBQHYAC4vHbJew6oMfMUf1aSbY8d_tRHvhBw-oUVSlJgFhLJTLgBsbeI_K6VLbiHrvEp_aOAaflRzXvTjsyzFqXc3rAI52W1PJTUVHxqNZivcuvflaj0SCbSIR5agpXVByjUVujLtJN5poH-VFM39Sts2nPJzl5Bc8_8pVcEYxGZ1ps_HapDZtzK41ivlAArn0qbniNjU4WHP01gv5g4HwiZ7nAIHr4F4i4c0pX-bELqCPdKqhbVc6xlPP019xOR8bNTreFll0KBe-663sQHMjdrZzs88McpZqfQkFDiG1mp-H6G9VYx6ebpJPzdJeJLzQvAoyY9_lFXR4dP8LSdcVkFUFGH1J0BWVzEreCVRo0fWTM59841Xj2bJbK7D6WbM4Q4YwvsKnyvoOzZNsMtUS_V8OYYELiIpi00hRSwq0IE4sWmtv3_Wx7LtX4aKoU98b5EMTm8SkUjILQUpntAN1uSIMoYCquS48qyQYS_15bZWCHUSUsbWKw2zZ6bPq2w886A8b5qocbTNzKclmj3XhMzlj14oC2zmLOoGR2325T3KOEAgCY6se58L5qe1hFKXJlcOUbvcqLzXYZ3k1Ll-4=w837-h625-no

Tracy Arm:

FIu9H9_wuiOfba2RU2Hf5IVWijxV7Pzxi8np6wYYqAmssWt24EORui8azzvWVlSO5zLQz93TKrgUxi7yR63jYZwQikPOuM03IeHNYUlXPLVkoNMrp3w4krZacaqye1jfgBnVbfvghgy8tCt5diawX1TGfsXgI5qq-NQ18jDCl8WeiZ5Veew9EalKejdE_fewRZHnFKW2uwnZ3AOSXcK7ZVKQa7uul1yT9rUaQBXxbhWwcE9xlkQvXnw0igOc3sn0PrNWcPeRCXMECJMAmsUX2R1T3s8LzvLKwcxpkcxctBSGitJ8nCVdDS1jnSNei6GVp2O9rr8KPjEUwlFIRYIzLlido0jgXs6U39Kbz0XNJ2A0DYUGPGvPdWwlqj7OKxIsjWQ4timBpgX1-RKLc70xzgdunxgIZOVfpb-wVfYQu6RlT0TLBnZXwafiZdZKdVRoxKU0pFFWg3nSimQeVts_LyT_E7j9SOM1g9K19n6CaO7MsXntv1DcC24aVC_Y7IGEGEHCLpE-SIIi8W8gsjX3flbceJ8U5ZpXj_aMca4j74MZuOiT0VEMOgvlXyBIBRzD1xoWI-cC1KOubbewHlc3NVaa1yID6H6dEQdmlFPsOez2bY9cu6tIHyrYF1nkv1k5_dzrwvAETQd3FGiOqkgV44bFtkXMdpFN=w834-h625-no

Edited by cruisingrob21

Celebrity and RCI brands are not allowed into Glacier Bay because of past environmental policy violations. Any of the Carnival brands are allowed into Glacier Bay. In addition to Princess, consider Holland America.

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I'm going to go against the grain here...

Glacier bay is impressive if the weather is clear.  If its foggy - its not as impressive.  We actually prefer Tracy Arm after being to Glacier and Tracy Arm mainly since you can be so close to the cliffs and its impressive regardless of the weather.  I cant comment on Dawes glacier.

Not sure if you know this but Tracy Arm is not that accessible. I have tried several times to get there and it is often blocked. In 2020, most cruise lines are taking Tracy Arm off their schedules since they end up in Endicott Arm anyway. So Endicott Arm (which is not like Tracy Arm) is now listed on most 2020 itineraries.

So Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glaciers) can be great if you get there but most ships don't get there. Glacier Bay is always accessible.

I have been to Endicott Arm several times (small boats and large ships) and it is not as scenic as Tracy Arm. You don't have the twists and turns that Tracy Arm has.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

only been to glacier bay.very impressive.if it's very foggy the ship may not go up the inlet.also note that only one ship can enter and leave before another can come in.also we went sept .9 we had a couple bad sea days ( north Vancouver island-haida gwaii).getting hit broadside by the big waves.our bed was port to starboard.we had a great sleep but people with beds bow to stern were being throw out of bed.the side to side motion i'm guessing.dress warm too.wind chill factor.

We’ve taken 5 cruises with Princess to Alaska. 4 of the 5 included Glacier Bay NP, one ‘tried’ to go to Tracy Arm but heavy ice floe prevented a safe passage and we diverted to another glacier (sorry, I can’t recall which one). We always go in late May and early June, so ice movement may be different in September. 

I can say without hesitation that Glacier Bay is worth it. It’s almost a full day’s cruise into and out of the park passing by some beautiful sights.  NP rangers join the ship near the entrance of the park to provide informational lectures, commentary, table displays and one on one interaction with passengers. Additionally, the ship has a destination expert on board throughout the entire cruise. 

While in the park, shipboard activities are limited to allow everyone to experience the park without distractions. 

Once you reach the Marjorie Glacier, the ship cuts the engine and allows you to just watch and listen to the Glacier.  Large calving activity will literally make the ship rock and you can hear the passengers  ‘ooo’ and ‘ahhh’ in response!  After about 30 minutes, the ship slowly makes a 180 so passengers on the other side of the ship can watch. Of course, the upper decks offer many viewing opportunities. We’ve been there on bright sunny days and overcast, drizzly days. The experience was not affected by the weather. 

Also, if anyone in your group has served in the military, they get a $100 OBC!  You just need to send Princess a copy of the DD214.  They also will offer various sales that may offer the drink packages (Sip and Sail).  You can rebook anytime before final payment to take advantage of these sales. Just be aware of any limitations.  

I don’t believe you will regret it and will cherish the experience shared with your parents!

Barb

78600B3C-8B3E-40A6-98B6-C96BAB215970.jpeg

98A99248-D4CE-4931-8AF5-CE6714A98615.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tango55 said:

only been to glacier bay.very impressive.if it's very foggy the ship may not go up the inlet.also note that only one ship can enter and leave before another can come in.also we went sept .9 we had a couple bad sea days ( north Vancouver island-haida gwaii).getting hit broadside by the big waves.our bed was port to starboard.we had a great sleep but people with beds bow to stern were being throw out of bed.the side to side motion i'm guessing.dress warm too.wind chill factor.

I think the single ship is at the face of a glacier. We shared the bay with a HoA ship last June. And where else do you get scenes like these.DSC_9997.thumb.JPG.9d5fddcfa7caca599d599689b7659a2c.JPG653397009_DSC_9970-Copy.thumb.JPG.b241c6a3cd94b47bc1814caad0695cec.JPG

We’ve been to Alaska four times, first time on Celebrity and other three on Princess.  Celebrity cruise went to Hubbard Glacier, fantastic! 

One Princess Cruise was a southbound from Anchorage area to Vancouver. LOVED it, went to College Fjord and Glacier Bay, 

anither Cruise was round trip Seattle, with Glacier Bay, once again, fantastic viewing conditions. 

All aforementioned cruises were late June/early July or mid July cruises, no fog, ever, and only one cold, rainy day on two cruises.

our fourth cruise was on Princess out of Seattle, Tracy Arm, late August.  Fog almost every day, fog horn blew nonstop, AND we couldn’t even see Tracy Arm. It was definitely the most lackluster Alaskan Cruise.  

Completely underwhelmed by Tracy Arm.  

3 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

We’ve been to Alaska four times, first time on Celebrity and other three on Princess.  Celebrity cruise went to Hubbard Glacier, fantastic! 

One Princess Cruise was a southbound from Anchorage area to Vancouver. LOVED it, went to College Fjord and Glacier Bay, 

anither Cruise was round trip Seattle, with Glacier Bay, once again, fantastic viewing conditions. 

All aforementioned cruises were late June/early July or mid July cruises, no fog, ever, and only one cold, rainy day on two cruises.

We caught Glacier bay in both June and September last year and no fog either time. A bit overcast in September, but clear skys in June which is a bit rare.

• Like 1

Wow, you are really convincing me with these gorgeous Glacier Bay photos. Stunning. I can't wait for this cruise, no matter which line we choose. I just hope my parents enjoy it! 

In '98 1st cruise to Alaska,  Glacier Bay was a must.....but weather was awful during our cruise in early August. Never planned to return.

Almost 20 years later, this last May returned to Alaska with one of my kids, Glacier Bay a must, hoped for just one clear day, while cruising  Glacier Bay...Got my wish and more...Spectacular!!!!! 👍 Can now understand why some guests return again & again. I know it won't take  another 20 years for me to return.....and Glacier Bay will once again be a must.

Edited by land lover

Glacier Bay is a National Park.  The others are not.  That would answer for the question for me.  I have been to Glacier Bay 3 or 4 times and I am going back again this summer.  

Remember, AK is all about what is outside of the ship, not what is inside of the ship.

DON

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alsmez said:

Now, if prices were the same, we'd choose Ruby for Glacier Bay. However, Princess is currently quite a bit more expensive than X. I was able to book concierge class balconies on Solstice with two perks (drink package and $525 OBC for each cabin) for $1500pp. An equally-nice balcony on Ruby is currently around $1750, no perks, no OBC. My parents aren't big drinkers but my husband and I do like having the package, so that would cost us each another $450 on Princess, bringing the real cost up to $2200. When you factor in OBC, Princess is nearly $900pp more, or $3600 for four people.

Been to Glacier Bay twice. Going back in May. Thoughts on  your cruise: Your parents would fit right in with the demographic on Princess. They are in the slot where I see the most passengers. (Caveat: We like longer cruises which attract older folks. We are in our 60's and are often "young" on the longer Princess cruises.)

A question for you regarding the balcony: Do you understand that the balcony on Ruby won't have a sofa? There may not even be a second chair besides the desk chair. (BIG kerfluffle about this right now as Princess seems to be removing the arm chair "for passenger safety and convenience" - read cheapness.) Your cabin may well not be equal to what you expect. The lack of the armchair may be important to your parents. There "may" still be an armchair but Princess has stated removing them from balcony and below class cabins. (I can't tell you how I feel about this as major cursing is not allowed here. %#%^@^@^~!!!)

Nobody can decide for you. I'd hate to give up your perks AND pay more. It's odd to me that this would be the case but I don't make the monetary decisions for the cruise lines. I have been a big fan of Princess and have 3 cruises booked at the moment but have to be honest in my opinion or advice or whatever this is. You asked for input and this is mine.

Whatever you choose it's pretty cool you are taking your parents on this cruise. I would hate for them to miss Glacier Bay but you definitely need to decide which cruise line is going to offer the best experience for your parents and that includes their comfort.

EDIT: Please be aware that on Princess you do NOT have to purchase the beverage package for everybody in a cabin. Each person has the option to buy the package or not buy the package. You can't share it but, if you like, only one person (or two people) can buy it. $69 (including the gratuity) per person per day for the entire voyage - no pro-rating.

Edited by Thrak

I'm  really running against the trend but I've been to Alaska 4 times and have yet to go to Glacier Bay....but I don't feel I've missed a thing.  Solstice is a beautiful ship and the perks you have worked out can't be beat.  I've done Hubbard twice and Tracy Arm twice...each was stunning.  On our first cruise i was so blown away by seeing a real glacier (Sawyer) that I never stopped to consider that something else might be "better."   I do hope to see glacier bay sometime but i wont feel cheated if I don't.

• Like 1

I would think the Royal Princess would better mimic the Solstice class X ships.  I've done some Alaska cruises that include Glacier National Park and some that don't.  It is amazing and I consider it THE highlight of SE Alaska.  No regrets if you go for it.... and as mentioned HAL could also be considered (also northbound NCL).

7 hours ago, Karlzmom said:

I'm  really running against the trend but I've been to Alaska 4 times and have yet to go to Glacier Bay....but I don't feel I've missed a thing.  Solstice is a beautiful ship and the perks you have worked out can't be beat.  I've done Hubbard twice and Tracy Arm twice...each was stunning.  On our first cruise i was so blown away by seeing a real glacier (Sawyer) that I never stopped to consider that something else might be "better."   I do hope to see glacier bay sometime but i wont feel cheated if I don't.

Though you probably would feel cheated if you missed those glaciers. The first year I went to Hubbard glacier, it was blocked from ships all year! Tracy Arm has often been blocked for more than half of of the season. That is why Tracy Arm is being dropped by itineraries. It is more often missed then seen. When it is seen, it is often not close.

I did feel cheated when I miss Hubbard glacier on the cruise where I took my Mom. It took me another 15 years to get her back to Alaska. Most only go once - like the OP's parents. They probably will not return.

Glacier Bay is almost guaranteed!

Edited by Coral