Higher prices on hollandmaerica.com?

cruiser4305

I have found some good prices on third party sites for a certain cruise, but I would like to use my AMEX credit on hollandamerica.com. However, the prices on hollandamerica.com are much higher than what I've been quoted on other sites! Is there a way to get hollandamerica.com to price match the third party sites?

The HAL website will often "default" you into a higher package price but drilling down further into the website you can get a lower, fewer frills price. I think the HAL website is deceptive in this way, but there has been little improvement since it was rolled out some time ago. It appears a big advantage using a 3P booking agent is they can throw in extra perks that in essence "reduce" the cruise price if you want to take advantage of them - on board credit, free specialty restaurant dinners etc.

There will also be a price difference when booking a specific cabin versus booking a guarantee, letting HAL assign you your final cabin which may or may not be a good personal choice for you.  A while back, we just gave up trying to shave dollars and get what we want if the original price meets our own travel budget and then just let it go. 

Additionally, some 3P websites don't show the final price, with taxes and port fees included, so be sure it is their total inclusive price when making these comparisons. But it is a crazy bazaar out there - and the worst ploy is the "brochure" price - which I have never seen put in place anywhere, often double the actual price the passenger finally pays. Is this ploy supposed to make it look like a bargain, when no one pays the "brochure price" in the first place? A very odd pricing marketplace.

But I have to admit we took our very first cruise with a cruise line that offered a "half off" sale - wow, what a bargain my inexperienced mind decided.  The other ploy is second passenger cruises for free or two passengers for the price of one. We learned to look at the actual per-day charges when comparing prices - and really, anyone who still comes close to $150 a day per passenger for room, board, transportation and entertainment is still getting a pretty darn good travel bargain. 

2 hours ago, cruiser4305 said:

I have found some good prices on third party sites for a certain cruise, but I would like to use my AMEX credit on hollandamerica.com. However, the prices on hollandamerica.com are much higher than what I've been quoted on other sites! Is there a way to get hollandamerica.com to price match the third party sites?

I am not sure that I am understanding you. Your charge will be to Holland America on your AmEx credit card, even if you took through a TA.  I have never had a charge made to a TA, and I would not do it.  It should be to Holland America.   If you are saying that the only way you can get the discount is by booking on HAL, I would as a TA if HAL will accept your Amex credit.  Better yet, call AmEx and ask them if the credit applies when booked through a TA but charged to HAL.

Finally, is the credit worth paying the higher price on HAL's website?

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I am not sure that I am understanding you. Your charge will be to Holland America on your AmEx credit card, even if you took through a TA.  I have never had a charge made to a TA, and I would not do it.  It should be to Holland America.   If you are saying that the only way you can get the discount is by booking on HAL, I would as a TA if HAL will accept your Amex credit.  Better yet, call AmEx and ask them if the credit applies when booked through a TA but charged to HAL.

On our Holland America cruise last summer we used a TA, and were able to use the AMEX credit since it was charged to Holland America, not the TA. In fact we used it 3 times. Once on my card and once on DW's card when paying the fare, and once later when the available credit came up again and I bought onboard credit.

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I am seeing the best price on a third-party website, my assumption being that they will charge my card. The exact verbiage on the AMEX offer is trips "booked through hollandamerica.com", so I'm not sure if it will fly. The difference in price is about $250 for the trip and the AMEX offer is only for $100 off.

5 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

The HAL website will often "default" you into a higher package price but drilling down further into the website you can get a lower, fewer frills price. I think the HAL website is deceptive in this way, but there has been little improvement since it was rolled out some time ago. It appears a big advantage using a 3P booking agent is they can throw in extra perks that in essence "reduce" the cruise price if you want to take advantage of them - on board credit, free specialty restaurant dinners etc.

There will also be a price difference when booking a specific cabin versus booking a guarantee, letting HAL assign you your final cabin which may or may not be a good personal choice for you.  A while back, we just gave up trying to shave dollars and get what we want if the original price meets our own travel budget and then just let it go. 

Additionally, some 3P websites don't show the final price, with taxes and port fees included, so be sure it is their total inclusive price when making these comparisons. But it is a crazy bazaar out there - and the worst ploy is the "brochure" price - which I have never seen put in place anywhere, often double the actual price the passenger finally pays. Is this ploy supposed to make it look like a bargain, when no one pays the "brochure price" in the first place? A very odd pricing marketplace.

But I have to admit we took our very first cruise with a cruise line that offered a "half off" sale - wow, what a bargain my inexperienced mind decided.  The other ploy is second passenger cruises for free or two passengers for the price of one. We learned to look at the actual per-day charges when comparing prices - and really, anyone who still comes close to $150 a day per passenger for room, board, transportation and entertainment is still getting a pretty darn good travel bargain. 

I tried going to the end of the booking process and the price never decreased even when I rejected the perks. As I pointed out above, it is a significant difference in price, about $100/pp and another $50 or less in port fees.

The $100 rebate will show up on your AMEX statement.  You don't have to book online, at least in my experience.  I paid thru my TA.

Roz

20 minutes ago, cruiser4305 said:

another $50 or less in port fees.

Port fees are normally estimated prior to sailing and adjusted during the cruise.  Easy for TA to underestimate cost and leave you with more charges onboard.