Incredibly disappointed cococay

22 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

You might want to read this:

"That's 'cause it ain't hard

To get along with somebody else's troubles,

And they don't make you lose any sleep at night.

Just as long as fate is there bustin' somebody else's bubbles,

Everything's gonna be all right."

Steve Goodman

22 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

😯

5 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Knowing the island is under major construction means booking that itinerary has to come with tempered or realistic expectations.  As such, if missing out on the island elicits the degree of disappointment the OP is expressing, maybe forego that actual itinerary during the 18 month period.

Again, caveat emptor.

Strongly disagree. Does one not book the Grandeur because it is old and may have a greater chance of breaking down? There is no way to prepare for a port stop being closed/canceled for one random day. This isn't a slide or a new pool not being ready; this is a random closure that will cost the OP a great deal to replicate.

8 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Knowing the island is under major construction means booking that itinerary has to come with tempered or realistic expectations.  As such, if missing out on the island elicits the degree of disappointment the OP is expressing, maybe forego that actual itinerary during the 18 month period.

Again, caveat emptor.

I understand that us CC readers would be "aware" of the ongoing construction but we know we are in the minority.  Plenty of other folks book cruises based on RCI sales literature and I'm not sure how those people are expected to temper their expectations.

dp

3 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Strongly disagree. Does one not book the Grandeur because it is old and may have a greater chance of breaking down? There is no way to prepare for a port stop being closed/canceled for one random day. This isn't a slide or a new pool not being ready; this is a random closure that will cost the OP a great deal to replicate.

I'm not really sure what to tell you.  Any port can be cancelled or replaced on any ship on any given day.  I would IMAGINE when a private island is under major redevelopment, including the construction of a pier, that has to increase the probability of that happening.

I guess maybe the better way to look at is it per their policy: they reserve the right to cancel, replace, or reschedule any given port.  If that is something someone can't stomach, them maybe cruising isn't for them.:classic_mellow:

• Like 2

Just now, dpostman said:

I understand that us CC readers would be "aware" of the ongoing construction but we know we are in the minority.  Plenty of other folks book cruises based on RCI sales literature and I'm not sure how those people are expected to temper their expectations.

dp

Fair point.  But I would again fall back on the fact that any port on any cruise on any line is always subject to change.  Part of the reality of cruising I guess...

1 minute ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Fair point.  But I would again fall back on the fact that any port on any cruise on any line is always subject to change.  Part of the reality of cruising I guess...

I agree that we all live with the possibility of a port change, but we usually associate the risk with weather, or political discourse, riots and what not.  This being a Private Island, the only risk that most people would expect is weather related. 

dp

22 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Actually, we've been at Coco Cay twice when two ships were tendering.

I was going to say that, but when we were there on Majesty with Sovereign,  they had two separate departure points well labeled you didn't go the wrong ship.   Maybe with one departure area, and the construction,  I guess they won't do two any more. 

9 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I was going to say that, but when we were there on Majesty with Sovereign,  they had two separate departure points well labeled you didn't go the wrong ship.   Maybe with one departure area, and the construction,  I guess they won't do two any more. 

I've also been at Labadee with two ships (after the pier was built), and it was no problem to use the single security area for both ships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I've also been at Labadee with two ships (after the pier was built), and it was no problem to use the single security area for both ships.

That would seem reasonable.   At least on Labadee, if someone, and you know there had  to be at least one, if they walked up to the wrong ship, they wouldn't get on.  In that one time I was on Coco Cay wit 2 similar ships, people did manage to get on the wrong tender and get to the wrong (but similar looking ship) and they had to tender them back again.    That was a busy day on the old Coco Cay with those two ships, but this was back in 2007. 

This is disappointing.  We are a family of 6 so I totally get the expense that you will now incur.  If you look at the bright side at least you know about it in advance and can plan to do something.  Or at least it is not another sea day.  This place has good reviews:

Paradise Cove:

Enjoy a day at Paradise Cove in Western Grand Bahama with this day pass, including round-trip transportation from Freeport. Stroll on the secluded white sand beach, relax in a lounge chair, or go snorkeling on Deadman's Reef. This family-friendly beach excursion lets you avoid the crowds and includes food and drinks from Paradise Cove's beach bar.  Beach pass at Paradise Cove with transport from Freeport Relax on Paradise Cove's quiet white-sand beach Go snorkeling on Deadman’s Reef to spot Bahamian fish and other marine life Play volleyball, or explore the coastline by kayak or stand-up paddleboard Food and one beverage is provided from the beach bar Choose a departure time that suits your schedule 

Read more about Paradise Cove Day Pass with Transport from Freeport 2019 - https://www.viator.com/tours/Freeport/Paradise-Cove-Day-Pass-with-Transport-from-Freeport/d419-6886SNORKEL?mcid=56757

You paid alot for your cruise hopefully you can see your way to move forward and get that beach day!

ETA:  you can cancel 24hrs in advance

Edited by andrew2346

2 hours ago, John Reid said:

But this isn't comparable to the end of a dry dock. Ships are coming in before that single date and after that single date. The OP isn't complaining about the enhancements being ready; she wanted the inexpensive beach day for her family. Where's the "homework" to prepare for that?

You’re right...it’s different and all the more reason to understand that construction delays are common.

1 minute ago, CrusingRuthing said:

If Royal cancels CocoCay (not due to weather, but how they did for OP) and you booked an excursion through them, will they refund it? 

Yes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrusingRuthing said:

If Royal cancels CocoCay (not due to weather, but how they did for OP) and you booked an excursion through them, will they refund it? 

Yes.  Even if it was weather related.

dp

• Like 1

I would consider your self lucky that this happened!  Just came back from CoCo Cay on Saturday and had the worst time ever!  The construction was loud and noisy so no relaxing at all.  Plus the beaches were all covered in sand and algae from the dredging and construction operations.   The sand felt and looked more like wet play sand then the soft white sand you'd expect in the Bahamas.  

Heres the kicker, the lunch was purely salads, hotdogs, hamburgers, and a few deserts and the drink package barely works.  They only use hard plastic cups ($3.99 Surcharge) or a Pineapple ($8.99 Surcharge).  So we couldn't even enjoy that!

5 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

What???? That is TOTALLY unacceptable!

30 minutes ago, rshust said:

I would consider your self lucky that this happened!  Just came back from CoCo Cay on Saturday and had the worst time ever!  The construction was loud and noisy so no relaxing at all.  Plus the beaches were all covered in sand and algae from the dredging and construction operations.   The sand felt and looked more like wet play sand then the soft white sand you'd expect in the Bahamas.  

Heres the kicker, the lunch was purely salads, hotdogs, hamburgers, and a few deserts and the drink package barely works.  They only use hard plastic cups ($3.99 Surcharge) or a Pineapple ($8.99 Surcharge).  So we couldn't even enjoy that!

LOL you see how angry this made me, I screwed up my rant! 😂

I meant to specify as I did in the next sentence that the dredging has kicked up all the sand from the bottom of the ocean and brought it up so that its very cloudy and murky and the sand has a wet sand box feel. 

10 minutes ago, rshust said:

I meant to specify as I did in the next sentence that the dredging has kicked up all the sand from the bottom of the ocean and brought it up so that its very cloudy and murky and the sand has a wet sand box feel. 

I get it. But it's going to go down in crusecritic lore..... The day someone complained that the beach was sandy.....:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I get it. But it's going to go down in crusecritic lore..... The day someone complained that the beach was sandy.....:classic_biggrin:

🤣🤣🤣 ROTFLMAO

Kinda reminds me of the folks who booked a cruise right in the middle of hurricane season and then complained when a hurricane forced cancellation of their cruise. Another DUH moment.

1 hour ago, rshust said:

Private island lunches are normally what you described.  In addition to what you found, there may also be some fresh fruit and cookies/cakes.

MARAPRINCE

26 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I'm used to some sort of chicken at the picnics too.  The drink package does sound frustrating.

I would take that comment with a grain of salt.  I could see the only options available from servers walking around being the specialty cocktails.  But there must be at least a dozen places to get other drinks that are package friendly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jarmo said:

I would take that comment with a grain of salt.  I could see the only options available from servers walking around being the specialty cocktails.  But there must be at least a dozen places to get other drinks that are package friendly.

I wasn't approached by a single server walking around, didn't see any during my short time on the island.  I did go to 4 different bars though with the same experience at each.  Two of them were 'tiki' style and the other two were setup on picnic tables.  The only thing they could tell me when I complained about the cup/pineapple is that as long as I bring back the cup; refills would be free with the drink package.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:40 AM, rshust said:

Was funny as I read your's, Know what you meant but made me laugh