Incredibly disappointed cococay

Just noticed cococay was replaced with grand bahama island  on the cruise planner page.  Very disappointed that they won’t even attempt to go here and zero notice regarding the change from royal Caribbean.  Only a 4 night cruise on the mariner on March 11 and can not believe they won’t attempt to tender and just cancelled the private island with zero notice.

Edited by heathermiller86nj

7 minutes ago, heathermiller86nj said:

Just noticed cococay was replaced with grand bahama island  on the cruise planner page.  Very disappointed that they won’t even attempt to go here and zero notice regarding the change from royal Caribbean.  Only a 4 night cruise on the mariner on March 11 and can not believe they won’t attempt to tender and just cancelled the private island with zero notice.

You might want to read this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/itinerary-change-updates

😯

Sorry this happened to you.  From what I've read recently, this likely has more to do with current construction on the island rather than weather or too many ships.  They are reportedly working on the bridge that will go over where the current tenders come in.  As such, tender boats can't come in.  No tender and no pier means no visit.  I'm trying to keep a close eye on what is getting done as we are scheduled to be there in May.

If the change affected my sailing I wouldn't be upset...I would much rather not go to somewhere undergoing a major reconstruction. This may end up being a much better beach port day...Relax and enjoy.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

We are on the Mariner May 6 and 10. Just checked the cruise planner and it still has us going to Coco Cay. It seems the May 17 cruise is the only one effected. So I wouldn't assume it had anything do do with the Island not being ready.

11 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

We are on the Mariner May 6 and 10. Just checked the cruise planner and it still has us going to Coco Cay. It seems the May 17 cruise is the only one effected. So I wouldn't assume it had anything do do with the Island not being ready.

They are talking March, not May.  🙂 

We are in mariner sailing the 18th, and ours still shows us going to coco cay. As others have said this may just be a construction issue. If ours gets changed, no big deal. A relaxing vacation at any port in the Caribbean beats a cold day at home working 😎

• Like 1

My daughter and my SIL just got back from the Anthem cruise that stopped at Coco Cay and they said it was a mess.  She has been there before and was a little disappointed in how it looks now.  She still had a great cruise though.

We had a great time renting electric bikes from Coconutz Cruisers the last time we visited Freeport, Grand Bahama. Their website address is:  Coconutzcruisers.com if you want to check them out!  Really nice people and a great time!  Hope you have a great day despite the change!

We are also on the Mar 11 sailing and I’m pretty unhappy. I booked this sailing as a surprise for my kids. CocoCay was supposed to be a “free” beach day where we could use our drink packages (refreshment for kids and deluxe for me) and enjoy a free beach day, loungers and lunch included. Now I’m looking at approx 200 minimum for the same beach day (transportation, loungers, drinks, lunch). So probably no beach for us. 

I cancelled another cruise on another cruise line that went to Cozumel and Key west to do this one. Thinking it was a better bang for my buck with CocoCay. It was apparently changed Feb 22 with NO communication to me. Found out today, here. Too late to change to another RCCL cruise, and way after final payment to change to another line.

11 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Actually, we've been at Coco Cay twice when two ships were tendering.

Had saw that on Google Earth, surprised though as Labadee didn't start doing 2 ships until Pier was finished. Though I know on Dec 31 1999 when 4 ships each were at each Private Island. Years ago when CoCo Cay and Labadee first opened they used own ship Tenders they carried and not Island ones they have now

Edited by ONECRUISER

The Royal Caribbean Brochure that has been out for months shows Coco Cay's debut (completion) as May 2019. It has also been referenced in multiple articles/blogs since late last year. 

The Navigator refurbish/upgrades were discussed and announced online for some time (now completed).

We booked for late 2019 after doing our homework, and understanding that these events sometimes extend beyond their original plan dates for a variety of reasons. Booking right after or near such dates introduces the risk of disappointment.

2019_2020_Royal Brochure.jpg

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

If the change affected my sailing I wouldn't be upset...I would much rather not go to somewhere undergoing a major reconstruction. This may end up being a much better beach port day...Relax and enjoy.

Having been there last summer while construction was ongoing, it does not affect any of the current venues, except that the nature walk is gone.

14 hours ago, Tim,n,Sue said:

My daughter and my SIL just got back from the Anthem cruise that stopped at Coco Cay and they said it was a mess.  She has been there before and was a little disappointed in how it looks now.  She still had a great cruise though.

I was there on Feb 23 and it was fine on the beach areas.  What was  "a mess"?

M

27 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Frustrating I understand. But the island is undergoing major construction and changes. Kind of caveat emptor, much like booking first cruise out of drydock, etc...

Actually, it's nothing like booking cruises out of dry dock. In those cases, dates are given so people can make a conscious decision. How does a passenger adjust for 18 months of total construction when making a cruise choice? Guess at when the single day they cancel will occur? Not book any itinerary with Coco Cay for two years?

Edited by John Reid

2 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Actually, it's nothing like booking cruises out of dry dock. In those cases, dates are given so people can make a conscious decision. How does a passenger adjust for 18 months of total construction when making a cruise choice? Guess at when the single day they cancel will occur? Not book any itinerary with Coco Key for two years?

Knowing the island is under major construction means booking that itinerary has to come with tempered or realistic expectations.  As such, if missing out on the island elicits the degree of disappointment the OP is expressing, maybe forego that actual itinerary during the 18 month period.

Again, caveat emptor.

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

The Royal Caribbean Brochure that has been out for months shows Coco Cay's debut (completion) as May 2019. It has also been referenced in multiple articles/blogs since late last year. 

The Navigator refurbish/upgrades were discussed and announced online for some time (now completed).

We booked for late 2019 after doing our homework, and understanding that these events sometimes extend beyond their original plan dates for a variety of reasons. Booking right after or near such dates introduces the risk of disappointment.

2019_2020_Royal Brochure.jpg

But this isn't comparable to the end of a dry dock. Ships are coming in before that single date and after that single date. The OP isn't complaining about the enhancements being ready; she wanted the inexpensive beach day for her family. Where's the "homework" to prepare for that?