Can you do a Canal Tour Independently?

SimplyMarvie

Is it possible to do any sort of canal tour as an independent excursion -- ie. not through the cruise line? We'll be sailing with RCCL as a family, and docking in Colon. I'm unsure how into the whole canal experience my kids are going to be. I'm wondering if it's possible to do something independently, and (hopefully) find a guide who is really good with kids or have the option where if things weren't working we could re-route/return to the ship. (Also, it'd run us close to half our cruise fare to do the boat excursion through the locks for the 5 of us...) Is that even possible? If not, any suggestions for possible alternatives or what might be best to book? (kids are 7, 11 and 13) 

Is your ship transiting the Canal?  If it is, then there really would not be a huge added benefit in doing the boat excursion through the locks.

While your ship is docked in Colon it is possible to take tours on your own.  However finding a guide that is "good with kids" would probably have to be arranged with a tour operator that you had special knowledge of.  Otherwise I think you would be better off selecting a shore excursion through the cruise line.

Can't really offer any suggestions on any particular tour, many of the tours would not provide you with the ability to drop out midway during the tour and return to the ship, at least not without an additional cost to you.  Some of the more popular tours are a visit to the Embera Indians, shore side visits to the new and original locks, Panama City and a trip on the Panama Railroad.

Thanks, Bill! I'm wondering if it isn't better to see if we can hire a tourist taxi for the day, and hit the visitor's center of the locks and then one or two other things in the area -- maybe one of the old forts, since the kids grew up in Jamaica and are fascinated by Henry Morgan? -- and call it a day. I'm still really iffy on whether the ship is cruising Gatun Lake or not... that's what we get for booking a new itinerary for the line, where there's not a ton of clarity. Got to figure that out first.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:04 PM, SimplyMarvie said:

Thanks, Bill! I'm wondering if it isn't better to see if we can hire a tourist taxi for the day, and hit the visitor's center of the locks and then one or two other things in the area -- maybe one of the old forts, since the kids grew up in Jamaica and are fascinated by Henry Morgan? -- and call it a day. I'm still really iffy on whether the ship is cruising Gatun Lake or not... that's what we get for booking a new itinerary for the line, where there's not a ton of clarity. Got to figure that out first.

Don't plan on going to Ft.San Lorenzo.  We lived in the Canal Zone most of our lives and thought it would be fun to take a private tour out to the fort, which we hadn't been to in many years.  Tour guide was wonderful (Suly from Roberto Whitaker's tours) but the road out there is horrible and, when you get there, no bathrooms.   Wish we'd gone to Portobello, which was another tour offered, but really don't know how that one went.  None of us were interested in traveling across the Isthmus to Panama City. 

The new locks are interesting and will probably be part of any tour you arrange on the Atlantic side.

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

If you're itinerary says "partial transit", that means you will go thru the first 3 sets of locks into Lake Gatun.  If that's the case, you will not be able to do anything "independently"....every excursion is thru the ship.

If your ship does NOT enter the canal at all, you certainly can book something on your own...research will be key, tho, on getting the most out of your day.  

It appears from the roll call that she joined, that the OP is on Serenade of the Seas on Dec. 9 with a southern Caribbean itinerary that makes a PORT CALL in Colon.  No canal partial or full transit.  EM

On 3/22/2019 at 4:31 PM, Essiesmom said:

It appears from the roll call that she joined, that the OP is on Serenade of the Seas on Dec. 9 with a southern Caribbean itinerary that makes a PORT CALL in Colon.  No canal partial or full transit.  EM

Yep. Although we're still trying to figure that out since it's a new itinerary for RCCI and they've already changed whether it's a partial transit or a port call. It'll be awesome either way, but it'd also be nice to know. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, can anyone recommend a tour company to do the locks/ lake? We are stopping in Colon on the Celebrity Reflection - stop only, no canal transit - and so we want to do an excursion into the canal but I would prefer not with the line.

Are interested in visiting the locks themselves or locking through the locks on a partial transit?  If you would like just to visit the locks on a tour other than a ship's tour, there are a couple of names is see mentioned here occasionally...  Roberto Whitiker  robtads2@hotmail.com and My Friend Mario (Almiza Tours), http://www.myfriendmario.com/

I have not used either but they have received mostly positive comments on this board.

If you are wishing to lock through the locks and visit Gatun Lake by boat, the ship usually monopolizes these services while they are in port.  Your only choice in this case would be a ship's tour.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, BillB48 said:

Are interested in visiting the locks themselves or locking through the locks on a partial transit?  If you would like just to visit the locks on a tour other than a ship's tour, there are a couple of names is see mentioned here occasionally...  Roberto Whitiker  robtads2@hotmail.com and My Friend Mario (Almiza Tours), http://www.myfriendmario.com/

I have not used either but they have received mostly positive comments on this board.

If you are wishing to lock through the locks and visit Gatun Lake by boat, the ship usually monopolizes these services while they are in port.  Your only choice in this case would be a ship's tour.

Thanks, looking to just visit the locks. I emailed Roberto a while ago but never heard back. 

Majesty318, I am on your same cruise and Celebrity offers a 5 1/2 hour tour: Description is below.  They also offer the Gatun Locks tour which is 8 hours.  We are planning on doing the one below because it is not as long.

Highlights

• Learn about the workings of one of the most incredible engineering marvels in the world: the Panama Canal.
  • Visit the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal, see a movie presentation & learn about the history behind it's contruction.
  • Step onto the Expansion Observatory Platform to see the process that will allow larger ships to travel the canal.

6 hours ago, TravelAddict4300 said:

Majesty318, I am on your same cruise and Celebrity offers a 5 1/2 hour tour: Description is below.  They also offer the Gatun Locks tour which is 8 hours.  We are planning on doing the one below because it is not as long.

Highlights

• Learn about the workings of one of the most incredible engineering marvels in the world: the Panama Canal.
  • Visit the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal, see a movie presentation & learn about the history behind it's contruction.
  • Step onto the Expansion Observatory Platform to see the process that will allow larger ships to travel the canal.

Can you post a description of the Gatun Locks tour?  I am concerned that they are offering something that no longer exists, as the visitors area of the Gatun Locks has been removed.  EM

I browsed through some of the shore excursions for the Reflection's stop in Colon and found this...

Portobelo and Gatun Locks

Colón, Panama

Discover the best of Panama during this half-day tour. First, you’ll drive to Portobelo, where you’ll roam the same streets feared buccaneer Captain Morgan did 300 years ago. Later, visit the Agua Clara Locks or Expansion Center, see the results of the world’s largest construction project, and learn how the canals expansion has changed the flow of global trade. CO54

I am thinking that there may be a disconnect in the editing since they mention the new Agua Clara Locks rather than Gatun.  As EM points out, the visitor's center at Gatun Locks is gone.  Believe a new center is being constructed on the west side of Gatun Locks, but it will be some time before it will be open.

14 hours ago, TravelAddict4300 said:

Highlights

Thanks, I just realized yesterday that the one you pasted covers both locks. I hadn't read the description properly. I think we will do this one as well.