Little Monty

According to Viking Ocean post on another social media site (rhymes with space hook) there are 436 pax on Viking Sun doing the World Cruise. The rest are .. no disrespect .. segmenters.

Assuming around 900 on board throughout .. more than 50% are not going the full journey.

This would seem to be a big change from the first WC where 100% went all the way (except for those who disembarked injured / sick etc).

I’m not trying to make any point, I just found that stat interesting.

Jim A / Eaches / Deec .. others from first World Cruise  - any thoughts on this ? How would this effect the on-board environment?

Would you prefer a regular change of on-board friends or just one group for the whole journey ?

Just curious about your thoughts, not trying to start an unruly debate

As always, regards to all

😀

Edited by Little Monty
Error

Hi LM,

Interesting info.  50% full WC passengers is above industry standards.  There was so much demand for Viking's Inaugural WC that they pulled off the dream of cruise line execs.  Now Viking World Cruises are becoming more "normal" if that can be said about a World Cruise.  Until we were lucky enough to be on Viking's Inaugural, we were the ones changing out after a couple of weeks so we are not bothered by segmenters.  In fact, we remember wishing that a few of the old grouches on board would leave and let some "new blood" come on board.  With the length of Viking's segments (and the no kids policy) we think the newbies will bring some fun with them.  Probably will hate to see some of them leave when their segment is over.  After this "closing the loop" WC I imagine we also shall be segmenters.🍸

Our previous WC experience confirms Jim's point that at 50%, Viking is well ahead of the competition. On our 2015 WC, we had 2 WC options - Sydney to Sydney or Freemantle to Freemantle. In addition to the 4 segments they also provided options for Australia coastal cruises - Sydney to Melbourne, Sydney to Freemantle & Melbourne to Freemantle.

The combined world cruises had about 600, but some of those boarded in Freemantle, so departure Sydney, I believe we only had about 20% of the ship doing the whole 104 days. In our opinion, with such a low number doing the entire WC, it felt like we were on a series of B2B cruises.

With Viking getting about 50% WC'ers & segmenters, we are hoping for more of a balance. 

Never been a Viking segmenter but have done segments on Azamara, Crystal and the Prinsendam  and I doubt there was more then 25% going end to end, Met one couple that was doing multiple separate segments on the same  WC.

Maybe Jim can confirm, but I think the early "World Cruises" were in the 60 to 90 day range and the current ones are up to 245 days.  Two months away from bad weather at home is a lot different then almost 9 months with some people you might not like or a cabin that was not as advertised.

7 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

Never been a Viking segmenter but have done segments on Azamara, Crystal and the Prinsendam  and I doubt there was more then 25% going end to end, Met one couple that was doing multiple separate segments on the same  WC.

Maybe Jim can confirm, but I think the early "World Cruises" were in the 60 to 90 day range and the current ones are up to 245 days.  Two months away from bad weather at home is a lot different then almost 9 months with some people you might not like or a cabin that was not as advertised.

Can only compare the older WC's on P&O/Princess. SS Oriana used to depart Southampton in November for a 6 week line voyage to Australia, where she spent 4 months, then returned to UK on a reverse 6 week line voyage.

Canberra would start a WC in early January, departing for 80 to 90 days. Much shorter than some of the current WC's. From memory, I believe Cunard had a similar length as Canberra.

1 hour ago, azdrydock said:

The really early World Cruises were long but the World Cruises from the '60s, '70s, 'and '80s ran in the 90 day range.  Cunard's QE2 did a few "Around the World in 80 Days" World Cruises.  Similar number of ports, and many of the same we had on Viking's Inaugural and a true Southampton/Southampton circumnavigation.  The huge difference was QE2 could push 35 knots when necessary and regularly made point to point at 30+ knots.  Most days on Viking we were doing 12 to 15 knots, sometimes slower.  The nature of the beast these days.  I really miss QE2's  4.5 or 5 day Transatlantic crossings.  A fast ship going fast is a real thrill for some of us gnarly old salts.....😎

17 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Cunard’s world Cruise numbers I’d say are more like 10% - so rare it’s hard to find them. 50% is fantastic. 

Yes, Cunard are a long way from their Golden Era of sea travel days.  Queen Mary 2 is capable of 30 knots but crosses the Atlantic at 15 knots or so these days.  

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

The really early World Cruises were long but the World Cruises from the '60s, '70s, 'and '80s ran in the 90 day range.  Cunard's QE2 did a few "Around the World in 80 Days" World Cruises.  Similar number of ports, and many of the same we had on Viking's Inaugural and a true Southampton/Southampton circumnavigation.  The huge difference was QE2 could push 35 knots when necessary and regularly made point to point at 30+ knots.  Most days on Viking we were doing 12 to 15 knots, sometimes slower.  The nature of the beast these days.  I really miss QE2's  4.5 or 5 day Transatlantic crossings.  A fast ship going fast is a real thrill for some of us gnarly old salts.....😎

Jim - so true. Still have fond memories of the grand old steam ships. On Oriana, we used to cruise routinely in the mid 20's, but recall running for Sydney one day with every boiler fire lit. We were making about 32 kts and the ship just felt like she had a pulse.

You would have enjoyed the aluminium fast ferry I drove for a few months. One night heading for home we purred along at 45 kts. Things happened real fast !!! It was fun, but I never left the seat unless docked.

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - so true. Still have fond memories of the grand old steam ships. On Oriana, we used to cruise routinely in the mid 20's, but recall running for Sydney one day with every boiler fire lit. We were making about 32 kts and the ship just felt like she had a pulse.

You would have enjoyed the aluminium fast ferry I drove for a few months. One night heading for home we purred along at 45 kts. Things happened real fast !!! It was fun, but I never left the seat unless docked.

Your line about "like she had a pulse" is right on. What she was built for.  One of Queen Mary's first Captains, when asked if he would try to break the Transatlantic speed record replied "Of course we will.  Why have we built her?"  And they did.  The fast ferry sounds fun.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Your line about "like she had a pulse" is right on. What she was built for.  One of Queen Mary's first Captains, when asked if he would try to break the Transatlantic speed record replied "Of course we will.  Why have we built her?"  And they did.  The fast ferry sounds fun.  

The old Oriana was built for ocean cruising, similar to QE2 & Canberra. Great ship in a seaway, easy maintained 20 kts in 30+ kts winds and seas.

Will fill you in on my fast ferry experience over a few beers.Totally different concept of ship handling, like handling a beach ball on water with oodles of horsepower.