When will WiFi be free on Celebrity?

mfs2k

1 minute ago, bEwAbG said:

You are certainly demanding that people accept that WiFi is a basic utility.  Whether you use the word "demand" or not does not change that.  Your initial argument relies on accepting that as a basic fact.  It is a flawed argument from the outset because your basic fact is not true.

sigh.  let it go, dude. 

35 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I don't understand.  I turned off "Cellular Data" (Verizon) on my iphone XR and am still sending imessages.  I know they are messages because they are blue and not green.  Are you sure? Test it yourself. 

iMessage will use WiFi or Cellular data connections. 

35 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I don't understand.  I turned off "Cellular Data" (Verizon) on my iphone XR and am still sending imessages.  I know they are messages because they are blue and not green.  Are you sure? Test it yourself. 

iMessage will use WiFi or Cellular data connections. 

Twenty years ago when we cruised, the "utilities" we required were electricity, desalinated water, heat or air conditioning and food. We had no smart phones, iPads, etc. We still need those things when vacationing. While we'd use WIFI occasionally if it were available free, we don't purchase it because it's not the same basic need as the aforementioned ones. We do require those utilities we required back then. Sometimes it's nice to turn off the noise of those devices and reconnect on a more personal conversational level. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I want to preface this by saying I am not the most tech savvy person. The AT&T guy advised me to turn off iMessage and just use SMS. Since most of my family uses iPhone, he said if they send me an iMessage, while mine is off, I will not receive it. They will have to send me SMS messages. From what I understand, I will still have to leave Cellular Data on to connect to the Cellular At Sea network for Talk and Text. I will have to turn off any apps, etc. so I will not incur big roaming charges. If my understanding is incorrect, please feel free to point me in the right direction. I do plan to play with it this weekend, though. 

If you get the $50 plan that includes no data. So you should keep data roaming off. Otherwise you could get big data roaming charges. Voice and SMS text don’t use data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a screen shot of the available cellular service from AT&T available to purchase for cruises. I called Celebrity support within the last 2 weeks for clarification, it is confirmed that this allows the user to access the ships cell reception at the agreed to pricing. We'll probably pick up the $50 package just to be able to touch base if we need to, maybe send some pictures back home of the sights. 17 minutes of talk time pays for the package, plus texts/pictures (which would probably be around $1 per message without the package)

If you purchase this $50 plan be sure to leave Cellular data off. It is good for voice and text only. Any pictures must be sent in SMS text. The plan is only good for text and some voice calls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

My comment was about drinking up to and over the value of a drink package. Some who have even a modest package of internet minutes included as a perk do not use it in entirety. 

It was not a comment about free items. 

But your response was to mine, which is about the topic. And the topic is very much about free items as shown in the title.

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

But your response was to mine, which is about the topic. And the topic is very much about free items as shown in the title.

I was clarifying what I was saying as a matter of coutesy to you....certainly not arguing with you.