In room "free" Bar mixed grill questions

Liberal_Baggie

I have had the QM2 upgrade fairy work her magic. I booked a princess P2 grade cabin for my 60th year having had several happy cruises in Britannia, and I find myself bumped up to Q5 queens grill wonderful.. however I need some advise. Can you ask for bottled real ale in place of the larger beer that is normally in the fridge? And could I ask for say a bottle of Gin for Elaine and Janet to make G+Ts some tonic water with and a nice bottle of wine?

Janet my mom is in an inside on Deck 10(she decided to come with us again but later than usual and she is on a fixed pension) so not far way from us on Deck 9 so we can have some early evening drinks free of charge great! with canapés and maybe a party or Two can be organised. Janet has asked for late seating in Britannia on a table for Eight and we hope to join her for most evenings but we are assigned to the Grills. Can I phone Cunard and get this sorted or do we take a chance and try to get it sorted on board? I would hope we can also have a couple of meals Elaine and I in the Grills Once we are sure my Mom has found dinner friends in Britannia. Is it possible that an extra special tip might enable my mom to join us in the grills for a couple of nights? We are on for 14 days western crossing and Iceland in July then staying on in USA for a couple of weeks before the dreaded alloy tube in the air nonsense back home. Any experience of a mixed booking like this?

We had a couple who were upgraded to Queen's Grill at our Britannia dinner table for both legs of our 2017 transatlantic round trip. 

So it should be possible to join folks in Britannia - but likely not the reverse [but it can't hurt to ask]

We were in a Q5 in November and there was no problem getting real ale instead of lager.  Our butler supplied my choice of Doom Bar and replaced as and when necessary.  As far as wine and spirits are  concerned,  you will be given a fairly extensive  list from which you both will have a choice. Mixers are also supplied and will be replenished when required. Canapes are provided but if you want extra (for a party) or hot canapes let your butler know 24 hours before. Not sure about the dining, probably best to speak to the QG maitre'd once on board 

I am afraid they never relent to adding a person to a table in Princess or Queens Grill; basically if done once it would set a precedence. However, the are very accommodating for you to join friends and family in the main dining room. It can be arranged on board.

Have a great birthday trip.

Edited by LadyL1
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for the feedback! very pleased I can have Doom Bar in the"free bar"  I understand perfectly the point about the QG meals but I would hope to get to go a couple of times out of out 14 nights Once my Mom is settled in with her table mates. In any case we are vegetarian so i'm not sure that our food would be any better than we normally eat in the Britannia which is pretty good in my view.

I am vegetarian and we normally travel QG. The stand alone vegetarian menu is the same as in PG and Britannia, but the off menu dishes you may choose most definitely are not. I have had lots of things made especially for me - veggie meals are normally much easier to make so make little work.

13 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

We had a couple who were upgraded to Queen's Grill at our Britannia dinner table for both legs of our 2017 transatlantic round trip. 

So it should be possible to join folks in Britannia - but likely not the reverse [but it can't hurt to ask]

On a 56 night voyage to Sydney on QM2 some years back we took three evenings off from the Queens Grill and ate in Britannia: purely for a change of company and nothing whatsoever to do with the company on our Grills table.

We did know the Maitre d' in Britannia from previous cruises and approached him with our request. He was most obliging and knew exactly the tables to sit us at on each occasion.

Jamie Firth was his name and he was outstanding at his job.

31 minutes ago, cruiseluvva said:

I am vegetarian and we normally travel QG. The stand alone vegetarian menu is the same as in PG and Britannia, but the off menu dishes you may choose most definitely are not. I have had lots of things made especially for me - veggie meals are normally much easier to make so make little work.

As a retired restaurant owner I can confirm exactly what you say Cruiseluva.

And not just easy to produce but considerably cheaper to produce as well.

Indeed, I'd have retired muck earlier had all my customers eaten veggie.

:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

I am afraid they never relent to adding a person to a table in Princess or Queens Grill; basically if done once it would set a precedence. However, the are very accommodating for you to join friends and family in the main dining room. It can be arranged on board.

Have a great birthday trip.

Actually I witnessed it once and the repercussions were were plain to see many days later.

I'm also sure that we had a story on here in the last twelve months where some 'star' in one of the fashion promotions threw a hissy fit when one of his staff was not allowed to join him for dinner in the Grills.

Might another option might be to dine together your QG cabin one night?
I believe having the full menu available for in-cabin dining is a grills perk, and assuming the request isn't extravagant (and likely is on the Britannia menu) - could adding your mother to the room service order be possible?

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Might another option might be to dine together your QG cabin one night?
I believe having the full menu available for in-cabin dining is a grills perk, and assuming the request isn't extravagant (and likely is on the Britannia menu) - could adding your mother to the room service order be possible?

On a fourteen day voyage from Los Angeles to Hawaii and back we entertained four Britannia friends for dinner in the Mauritania Suite. Our Butler a delightful lass named Santa recommended that we pre-order from the menu in the afternoon to assist her to have every thing available to serve at the same time since she had to have it brought from the QG galley to the suite. It worked out like a charm. 

Thanks for the thinking of that Idea Mark Bear and Big Mike do you think that it would be possible in a Q5 room not sure it has a table that 3 could get round, maybe the coffee table? I will ask as you recommend in any case and see if its possible for One night. Thanks for the advice. 

2 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Thanks for the thinking of that Idea Mark Bear and Big Mike do you think that it would be possible in a Q5 room not sure it has a table that 3 could get round, maybe the coffee table? I will ask as you recommend in any case and see if its possible for One night. Thanks for the advice. 

From the pictures I have seen of the new Q5 it appears that the desk can serve as a table for two or three. They used to have coffee tables that rose up to dinner height, but they are not there any more, so the desk would seem the most likely place for in suite dining, and it would appear that three can sit around it as it is oval shaped. 

Not really suitable for hosting a 'main evening meal' on those  QG glass coffee tables , however, you could always manage to arrange  an 'informal' afternoon  light lunch, using the desk top in addition to the coffee table and/or  balancing a plate on your knees or a tray etc. 

Edited by Bell Boy

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, Solent Richard said:

As a retired restaurant owner I can confirm exactly what you say Cruiseluva.

And not just easy to produce but considerably cheaper to produce as well.

Indeed, I'd have retired muck earlier had all my customers eaten veggie.

:classic_biggrin: I trust that last bit was not a Freudian slip regarding your catering, Richard,lol.