RC May Hawaii cruise last minute changes by RC

11 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

@chengkp75

So if low tide is at 7:51 PM  when Ovation leaves Vancouver on the 13th would they be out near the bridge 10-20 minutes early to be ready to go, it appears to be a short 35 minute window to get under the bridge. Trying to figure out my dinner and pictures going under the bridge plans

Thanks

A

Not sure about maneuvering in Vancouver, but I would think they will delay sail away a bit.  If your tide time is right, slack water will be about 1/2 hour either side of low tide, so starting at about 1920, and its only about 30-45 minutes to the bridge, if I see right on the chart, so I would think "last line" would be 1830-1845, and all aboard around 1800.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure about maneuvering in Vancouver, but I would think they will delay sail away a bit.  If your tide time is right, slack water will be about 1/2 hour either side of low tide, so starting at about 1920, and its only about 30-45 minutes to the bridge, if I see right on the chart, so I would think "last line" would be 1830-1845, and all aboard around 1800.

I've watched both Radiance and Rhapsody from Prospect Point back out of Canada Place, turn, and be under the bridge easily in under 30 minutes. The last time I watched Radiance she was docked nose facing out, she just took off straight out from Canada Place and was around the light house corner of Stanley Park and under the bridge in about 20 minutes.

I'm assuming it'll depend on how Ovation docks (forward or backward). Also I figure she'll be gunning it (squat effect) so I assume she'll be out of Canada Place and heading under the bridge extremely quickly.

If the weather is right, the entire sailaway past the bridge and in through the islands in dusk will be phenomenal.

Bring a jacket and plan dinner at WJ right when they open so we can head out top deck around 7pm 😁👍

Edited by Hoopster95

On 4/26/2019 at 9:34 AM, chengkp75 said:

Since the lunar "day" is 24 hours and 50 minutes, high tide will change about 25 minutes each day.

Hi,

this chart lists "slack tide times", first narrow is at or near the bridge  https://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/2504.html?y=2019&m=5&d=12

2019-05-12 Sun  7:23 PM PDT    0.0 knots  Slack

If I wanted to be on the bridge to see the Ovation come in is 7:23 "slack tide" the end of "low" tide or the beginning?

Thanks

6 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Hi,

this chart lists "slack tide times", first narrow is at or near the bridge  https://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/2504.html?y=2019&m=5&d=12

2019-05-12 Sun  7:23 PM PDT    0.0 knots  Slack

If I wanted to be on the bridge to see the Ovation come in is 7:23 "slack tide" the end of "low" tide or the beginning?

Thanks

Right about the middle of low tide.

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Right about the middle of low tide.

We are staying at the Radisson at the airport.  It would be nice to watch the Ovation come in that evening, but not sure if it is practical  We won't have a car, so would have to get a cab. I understand that Uber is not available in Vancouver.  How far is the bridge from the airport?

31 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We are staying at the Radisson at the airport.  It would be nice to watch the Ovation come in that evening, but not sure if it is practical  We won't have a car, so would have to get a cab. I understand that Uber is not available in Vancouver.  How far is the bridge from the airport?

You easily can take the Sky Train subway/Surface Rail public transportation from Vancouver airport to Canada Place which is where the ship will come in and dock. You won't get a close up view of it passing under the Lion's Gate bridge from there as that will be about 2 miles away. For a closer view you would need to go to Stanley Park.

On April 21st we disembarked the X Eclipse and took the Sky Train to YVR airport.

Below is the view of that ship docked at Canada Place I took from in front of the nearby Sky Train station.

P4170478.JPG

Edited by robtulipe
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

You easily can take the Sky Train subway/Surface Rail public transportation from Vancouver airport to Canada Place which is where the ship will come in and dock. You won't get a close up view of it passing under the Lion's Gate bridge from there as that will be about 2 miles away. On April 21st we disembarked the X Eclipse and took the Sky Train to YVR airport.

Below is the view of that ship docked at Canada Place I took from in front of the nearby Sky Train station.

P4170478.JPG

Thanks!  Where would we go once we got to Canada Place to see the ship going under the bridge?

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

29 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Thanks!  Where would we go once we got to Canada Place to see the ship going under the bridge?

For a closer view you would need to go to Stanley Park, bridge is at the far or north end. That area is about 2 miles from Canada Place. I know of no public transport to there so likely one would need taxi or something like that to get there.

YVR Airport is about 10 mile from the far end of Stanley Park and about 8 miles from Canada Place so it would be much shorter ride from the latter. Sky Train fare each way  would be $4.20 Cdn each and you can pay with RF credit card at entry gate which are not maned. Just scan your card at the entry scanner for tickets and passes. No transfer are needed as train goes directly to downtown area.

Edited by robtulipe
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

The 19 bus stops inside Stanley Park, and many others stop right at the entrance on Georgia/Denman. Depending on what angle you want of the sail-under how much walking from where the bus stops are depends - to be under the bridge on the Seawall is at least a nice flat walk, and very scenic, whereas up at Prospect Point looking down on the bridge (probably the closest you can get to matching the height of the top of the ship) you'll have to schlep up the hill and that road has trees all around it so no views until you get up top. Google maps has the pedestrian/bike only seawall, some major paths through the park, and all the roads fully-mapped and Streetviewed so you can try a 'virtual walkabout' to see what your options are (and to see exactly where the bus stops are).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Is there any way that you can find out if the Sail Away time for the 11 night Alaska cruise following yours will be adjusted due to the tides? 

It might come up at Captains Corner - will pass it on. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kaybee16 said:

Tenders to Lahaina have been delayed due to unsafe conditions.  Captain will give hourly updates.

Lots of upset passengers.

That stinks but so goes the tendering process.