Girlfriends cruise - cabin and cruise line?

wndrlst13

Hi all! 

I am certain this has been discussed multiple times, but my attempts to search the forums has not been very efficient - it seems the results include any word in my query rather than the string of words together (tips on searching welcome).

Three 50-60 yr old gal-pals cruising in Jan 2020 to the Caribbean would like to share a cabin because we assume that is the most cost effective? Which cruise line is advised for the combination of cabin options AND desired low-key atmosphere(not a party boat)? Not interested in Carnival or Disney (off the top of my head). 

One of us would not mind climbing into a bunk but since there are three of us we do want a little extra space for primping/waiting. Somewhere I did see that balcony rooms were smart as they offer extra living space. 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

How long a cruise are you considering, and what kind of activities are you looking for?  Without any more info, I would recommend (from my experience), Celebrity or MSC, or Princess only if you do a mini-suite.  EM

Thanks! Cruising 7-9 days. We don't need the daredevil bungee jumps or super slides, etc. Good shows, plenty of sun deck space, etc. Hoping for Southern Caribbean but somewhat open to ports of call in favor of price/cruise line. When I've used the online booking (broker sites or direct with different cruise lines) I get descriptions of sq foot, view, and "two twins that may convert to king/queen" but no mention of a third bed or pullout sofa. Do I have to call?

Go to www.cruisedeckplans.com.  There is lots of info there, including the mentioned in the title deck plans.  If you click on a deck, you will see little symbols in the cabins, like triangles, dots, circles, squares...  At the bottom of the page is a 'key' to tell you what they mean.  You can also find this on the websites of the cruise lines.  I suggest you investigate those before you go to travel agency sites.  For instance, this is part of a deck on a Celebrity ship  And the key to reading the symbols:  (The ship depicted is not the one of the key, but the key is the same across the fleet)

enhance

enhance

This another pair from MSC Lirica.  In this one I was illustrating obstructed view cabins and the fact that the cabin she had been given was an oceanview, not a balcony:

enhance

enhance

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

Ship cabins are nowhere near as large as a hotel room, unless you book a suite.  I think with 3 women, you will want a balcony, just for that little bit of added space.

Bathrooms are tight..and all primping, makeup, hair, etc....is best done in the cabin, rather than the bathroom!

Most deck plans show the sq. footage of each cabin type....remember that sq. footage INCLUDES the bathroom space!  Some of the older ships have cabins that are under 130 sq. ft....way too tight for 3.  You will want something in the 175-189 sq. ft range...and even then, it's not spacious!

I have cruised the Caribbean twice (January 2018 & 2019) on the Regal Princess in a mini-suite.   Love the cabin.  Very spacious as far as cabins go.  Haven’t cruised with three people in the cabin, but it would definitely work for you.  Beautiful ship.  Next year,  we are doing the same cruise on the new Sky Princess (also in a mini-suite).  

• 1 month later...

We travel with three very often.. and it works very well for us! Not to mention the cost effectiveness when splitting the reduced 3rd person cost. Just got back from a South American cruise aboard  Celebrity Eclipse. We were in a concierge stateroom with a balcony. The two beds were separated and there was a double sofa bed. The bathroom was major spacious and we LOVED it! We were upgraded to concierge from veranda because the price of the cruise dropped. 

You need to have a cruise counselor that will contact you when a sale is happening for 3 & 4 guest. Otherwise, you keep checking. If I were you I would join every cruise line that you would consider. That way you will receive email on all the specials they are offering. No matter. Use a cruise counselor. One that is independent and works out of their own HOME but works for a large company. Reason I say home. They are able to do some extras on ther own if they are not in an office owned by the company. They usually have fewer clientele and can cater to you better. Sometimes 3 & 4 guests sail 1/2 price or free. You still pay the tax and port charges. Those deals happen. Your cruise counselor can also recommend the cabin for the lowest cost and the best that will fit your needs. So whatever your total for three ends up. Split it three ways.