Our Anniversary cruise on the Nieuw Statendam : Is the honeymoon over ?

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Good grief!  Do their passengers not complain?  I would be livid.  I had no idea Princess did this too!  Thanks for the heads up.  I can now cross them off my list.

We're not sure how much of a factor location and time of the year may have played in this . We cruised on the Carnival Legend in the fall in northern Europe and we could hardly believe the difference between the staff , crew and passengers . On this cruise to the Caribbean we saw a lot of Baby Boomers who behaved like they were on spring break .

We are not sure if things have changed in Cozumel but last June in Puerta Maya we had get in line to walk through the long building before having  having a dog sniff your gear . We did notice people walking beside the building which would speed the process up .

IMG_0321_zpselhb1v10.jpg

We had a different process here at the International Pier .

IMG_0294_zpsre0ix4o2.jpg

There are several places near the pier

IMG_0290_zpspxfm5lap.jpg

IMG_0322_zps9ofnkipv.jpg

This is the place for food , fun , clothes and balloon hats

IMG_0296%202_zpsj6buwgxh.jpg

We preferred to order from Dive In

DSC06356_zps5q0hhe4j.jpg

We ordered a Backflip , a Freestyle and 2 naked fries with Dive in sauce on the side . A half hour later this is what we got

DSC06362_zps9kv4nbe3.jpg

My wife told the guy that we had ordered another order of fries and a Freestyle . He told us " that is a freestyle ". Not sure if was a language barrier but we found out something different on the next day . We placed the same order and my was told . #1. You can only order what's on the TV screen ( no Freestyles ) . #2.The food was cooked in the kitchen and not from the Dive In . When we received the order the next day we got what we had ordered and an extra fries . 

We waited until about 6 PM to go ashore for dinner without the heat and crowds and it worked .

DSC06315%202_zpsytjzvovw.jpg

DSC06312_zpssorcnthv.jpg

We had invited our dive master friend Martin to dinner at El Moro which is about 5 miles from the port

P1000372-001_zpsad891581.jpg

P1030907-003_zps753392be.jpg

P1030907-002_zps8ae33a85.jpg

I had fried conch with garlic butter 

DSC05140_zpsgyryk5zw.jpg

Pat had a grilled dish

DSC05142_zpseib6kcwq.jpg

Rey treats us better than of families do 

DSC05143_zpszp6p14gt.jpg

Making flaming Mayan coffee and the story behind it

There were almost tears in our eyes as we said our goodbyes . How we wish that we could stay longer .

We took a look at our balcony on the NS and compared it to our balcony on our last HAL cruise on the Zaandam

DSC05810_zpshvcq7nqo.jpg

DSC03649_zpsk9elwauh.jpg

Which would you rather have ? Keep in mind that a Neptune Suite is on the other side of the NS divider so apparently HAL has also narrowed the width of the Neptune Suites on the Pinnacle Class ships .

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

From what I have read elsewhere on here, the balconies for some of the Neptune Suites are smaller on some decks of the Nieuw Statendam as compared to the Zaandam Neptune Suites.

Great pictures.

The people next to us in the Neptune Suite let us have a little peek into their room . It balcony reminded us of one we had on the Legend with a wrap balcony .

IMG_4414-001_zpsd524917d.jpg

IMG_4557-001_zps1bee67e6.jpg

IMG_5431-001_zpsf3e4be7a.jpg

14 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We took a look at our balcony on the NS and compared it to our balcony on our last HAL cruise on the Zaandam

DSC05810_zpshvcq7nqo.jpg

DSC03649_zpsk9elwauh.jpg

Which would you rather have ? Keep in mind that a Neptune Suite is on the other side of the NS divider so apparently HAL has also narrowed the width of the Neptune Suites on the Pinnacle Class ships .

What category of balcony is that on the Zaandam?  Is it Neptune?

37 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We ordered Mimosas and got a bottle , free in the room , $ 7.95 in CO .

I’m a bit confused.  They’re charging for mimosas in CO now?

Did you get an orange tote bag?

Love the towel animals.

On the Zaandam in January we were charged for mimosas in the Pinnacle , but not when we had breakfast in the room . We didn't eat in CO after the first night but we suspect that the policy is the same since it has replaced the Pinnacle for breakfast .

DSC05812_zpsraozgqsb.jpg

DSC06303_zpshma8pqkz.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Wonderful start.

I have read that all the cabins (and balconies) on this ship are smaller compared to the other ships.

I was in this ship in Feb and was on 8059.  I did think the balcony was smaller than the one I had last year on the Eurodam

19 hours ago, Himself said:

I was in this ship in Feb and was on 8059.  I did think the balcony was smaller than the one I had last year on the Eurodam

Our balcony on this cruise was the smallest of all our cruises on HAL and perhaps the smallest of all our cruises . We really enjoy dining on the balcony but we didn't because of it's small size .

DSC05810_zpswnmjzque.jpg

Princess has downsized the balconies on their newer ships as well . They used to serve the Ultimate Balcony Dinner for $ 50 each where they came and set up a table with dinner , a mixed drink and flowers while being served by 2 people .

8c50aac7-01da-42c7-99e7-f01dac369637_zps

Here's their new balcony set up

DSC04732-001_zps3tsblu0w.jpg

It seems that as ships get larger the balconies and promenades shrink .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I don't like the idea that the cruise lines are making the balconies smaller.  We spend a lot of time on them reading and napping.

I agree. We booked NS to get a big balcony and a table that could actually be used for eating. (At least those tiny Princess balconies have a proper-height table) I wouldn't mind a smaller cabin to have a larger balcony, which is why we used to book the corner afts. 

My recent cruise on the K was in a midship NS. I didn't take a pic of the balcony, but OP's picture of a balcony looks like the depth of my NS balcony. The length of the balcony allowed for table and chairs plus the two chairs and footrests. But there wasn't a lot of space to walk by the furniture. The NS balcony we had on Amsterdam was definitely deeper than the one on the K.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder