Royal Caribbean New Orleans

It happened, the first cruise out of NOLA occurred somewhere around Dec. 13 and ran up until just recently.  The ship will finish her Caribbean season with  cruises out of Galveston.

The ship was the Vision.

Edited by BillB48

Her ending cruises out N.O. was premature...the Vision will be back in NOLA on March 9... I am not sure exactly when her last sailing from NOLA will be, however she has a sailing out of Galveston on March 18.

I keep looking for N.O. sailings, too.  So much more interesting there pre-cruise, and MUCH easier getting to and from the dock.  Galveston is such a schlep from the Houston airports.

5 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

Sailed out of NO on the Serenade a few years ago.  Hoping RCI will return as we loved cruising down the old Mississippi river.

It would be even better if it was during daylight hours. 

5 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

It would be even better if it was during daylight hours. 

Yes, I agree.

One of my favorite parts of the book Cruise Ship Confidential was the author sitting out on the crew aft open deck, sipping whiskey, and smoking a cigar as he sailed down the Mississippi in the dark.

• Like 1

Had the opportunity to sail down the river on another cruise line, which I won't mention any name:classic_wink:... during the middle of summer.  As a result there was a lot of daylight and you could see well past 8pm.  Very interesting.  I too would enjoy more of a Royal presence in NOLA.

edit: pcur, in your sig I see you will be on the Jewel from SAN to MIA.  Wish I was going across the pond too, guess the Canal portion will have to do me for now!

Edited by BillB48
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mdsgu said:

What happened to RC coming back to New Orleans in late 2018?  It never happened, and it doesn't look like it will.

We just finished a B2B on the Visoin of the Seas out of NOLA - We left the pier around 4:30 and enjoyed about 2 hours of daylight down the Mississippi (it takes about 8 to get to the Gulf).

We were also on the last Serenade cruise out of New Orleans about 4 years ago (the NOLA to BEANTOWN REPO).  That's when RCI said they would never sail out of NOLA again because of all the problems going down the River - "Never Say Never.... 😉

Edited by DHADEN

I too wish RCCL would base a ship in NOLA for more than a few months a year.  It's one of the few North American ports I haven't sailed from and would love to cruise down the Mississippi when there is still daylight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTBCruiser said:

Sailed out of NO on the Serenade a few years ago.  Hoping RCI will return as we loved cruising down the old Mississippi river.

That does sound like fun, and why I am following the thread. 

We sailed on a Mardi Gras cruise on Celebrity in 2017.  We sailed up the Mississippi in the daylight.  It was a very It was a very slow meander upriver.  There is not much to see along the way except the oil platforms in the gulf, a few town and marsh land.  There is more to see closer to NO.  We sat on our balcony and enjoyed the show. 🙂 We considered it an extra excursion we did not have to pay for.  We arrived at the port around 6pm.  

We did a B2B from there on the Serenade.  The sailaway is interesting in the twilight, too.

I thought RCL was building another terminal that was not in the French Quarter.  At first our Mardi Gras cruise passengers thought we would use that.  We would not have liked it.  The Julia Street dock is so close to all the action.  

23 hours ago, DHADEN said:

We just finished a B2B on the Visoin of the Seas out of NOLA - We left the pier around 4:30 and enjoyed about 2 hours of daylight down the Mississippi (it takes about 8 to get to the Gulf).

We were also on the last Serenade cruise out of New Orleans about 4 years ago (the NOLA to BEANTOWN REPO).  That's when RCI said they would never sail out of NOLA again because of all the problems going down the River - "Never Say Never.... 😉

Sorry to intrude, although I was looking for someone recently on the Vision, we board in GVS on Monday.  Would you know what type of coffee pots were in the suites (ex: Keurig pods, small packets, etc)?  I wanted to bring a little extra!  Thanks in advance! 

23 minutes ago, mstelly said:

Sorry to intrude, although I was looking for someone recently on the Vision, we board in GVS on Monday.  Would you know what type of coffee pots were in the suites (ex: Keurig pods, small packets, etc)?  I wanted to bring a little extra!  Thanks in advance! 

They were not-so-small packets - I usually "borrow" one of the Room-Service Pots and run two cups of water through one packet (pore it into the Pot to keep it hot 😉)

Hope This Helps.

Edited by DHADEN

5 minutes ago, DHADEN said:

They were not-so-small packets - I usually "borrow" one of the Room-Service Pots and run two cups of water through one packet (pore it into the Pot to keep it hot 😉)

Hope This Helps.

Thank you!