Booking on board for a couple not on board

realnice46

8 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Is it possible to book a cruise for a couple not on board to take advantage of extra perks ?

Do you mean book for yourself AND another couple to sail with you (in a different room?)  Yes you can as I have done this, I booked for another couple in their own room to sail with me.  If you instead mean only book for them and not booking for yourself, this is trickier.  I have had someone try this for me and they could certainly book but we got no perks at all, was treated like any other booking and they were booking for themselves but not the same sailing.  They were able to get the reduced down payment for us though (which was still a bit of a challenge) so we still got them to book it for us.

Ironically in the latter situation, I called Celebrity later about something else, mentioned this (pretended stupidity) and said how we didn't get any perk (OBC) for the booking on board and they took care of it for me. 

Short story is maybe maybe not as it would seem things change with the wind and also with who you get doing the booking.  I think bottom line is you have to book for yourself and others for same sailing to get the perks (xtra OBC) applied for all and if anything else better happens then bonus.

Edited by poffles

9 hours ago, gg88 said:

No, at least one person on the reservation needs to be a current guest. Otherwise, people would book multiple reservations and then "sell" them to others. 

How would they know what names to book under?  Doesn't at least one name on the reservation have to stay to avoid essentially having a name change be treated like a cancellation and rebooking? (i.e. end up costing more?)

"No, at least one person on the reservation needs to be a current guest. Otherwise, people would book multiple reservations and then "sell" them to others. "

I don't understand this post, but I can tell you from experience that if you are onboard and are booking a new cruise for yourself you can also make a booking for other people for that same cruise.  You need their names, addresses, Captain's Club number if any, date of birth, and you need to know if they want insurance or not, and what perks they want.  

You cannot book others onto some cruise you, yourself, are not also booking.

11 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

You cannot book others onto some cruise you, yourself, are not also booking.

Absolutely  untrue, you can definitely book someone on a cruise that you yourself are not sailing on ... personally done.  However, as I said above, they allowed the reduced deposit but did not grant any perk such as the added OBC so it really didn't gain anything (though we did get the OBC added in the end though perhaps should not have been done.)

Thank you all for your replies. We are currently booked on a Greek Isles cruise 2020 and our son and fiancé wish to join us and I thought booking for them ,for the extra on board credit. and reduced deposit would be good if I can do it.

6 hours ago, poffles said:

Absolutely  untrue, you can definitely book someone on a cruise that you yourself are not sailing on ... personally done.  However, as I said above, they allowed the reduced deposit but did not grant any perk such as the added OBC so it really didn't gain anything (though we did get the OBC added in the end though perhaps should not have been done.)

I beg to differ. While booking other people for a cruise you book for yourself is not a problem, booking a cruise exclusively for someone who is not on board only works if you are lucky.

We are interested in booking a cruise for September 2020 but will not do another cruise with Celebrity before September this year. So I asked three friends cruising on different ships at the moment. All three went to the future cruise office and were turned back.

I called Captain‘s Club and they said: the rule is „no can do“... followed by a hushed : „but sometimes it is done“

Edited by Miaminice

4 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I beg to differ. While booking other people for a cruise you book for yourself is not a problem, booking a cruise exclusively for someone who is not on board only works if you are lucky.

We are interested in booking a cruise for September 2020 but will not do another cruise with Celebrity before September this year. So I asked three friends cruising on different ships at the moment. All three went to the future cruise office and were turned back.

I called Captain‘s Club and they said: the rule is „no can do“... followed by a hushed : „but sometimes it is done“

I would not  disagree with that.  Goes to my point.  In reality it would seem to depend on the day, but regardless, my secondary message was and remains that ultimately there would be nothing to gain if they aren't on same sailing.  The one that booked for me WAS booking a cruise, though different, that could have altered what was allowed.

Bowing out now.  Happy sailing.

6 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Thank you all for your replies. We are currently booked on a Greek Isles cruise 2020 and our son and fiancé wish to join us and I thought booking for them ,for the extra on board credit. and reduced deposit would be good if I can do it.

While on board, you absolutely can book for yourself and for your son and fiance on the same sailing (different room or not) and get the xtra OBC and reduced deposit for them as well.  Just be sure to have all the necessary information for them such as proper name (as on passport type docs) address/phone, email, credit card to book on (could be your own to make it easier) and you should have no problem at all doing this.

That said, it still sounds a bit unclear, you are ALREADY booked for yourself?