Vibe now over $200 each!

Sky111

I can understand a price increase but why must they DOUBLE it?  Can we get some incremental increases first?  For the sake of being less obnoxious about it?  I have used the Vibe once and while it served its purpose, it is not worth that amount of money.  I found the bar service lackluster at times, in part because bartenders were serving the large amount of people on the outside of the Vibe door.  It's one bar, same servers for both sides and I sometimes had to go outside the Vibe door to get their attention, and then they would act annoyed at me for doing so. I never had anyone wait on me in there. (This was on the Breakaway.)  I believe Princess did this years ago with the Sanctuary.  I remember reading about a steep price increase and they got away with it because there is so much demand. But at least you can get day passes there.  You don't have to fully commit to the whole cruise like with Vibe.  

13 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

I can understand a price increase but why must they DOUBLE it?  

They have to make up for the failed attempt to increase liquor prices to unsustainable levels. I guess they figured they'd try to gouge the Vibe passengers. Given the demand for the passes, they may succeed with this one!

Sounds like basic supply and demand to me. 

That’s fine. It’s not like I was going to get a pass anyway. I’d rather not start my vacation by stressing out hoping to be fast enough to pay for the privilege of hanging in the Cool Kids Club. 

Of course, the pay-for-exclusivity areas are my least favorite thing about cruises in general. I’d love to see the Haven go away entirely, but of course that’s not realistic. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blcruising said:

They have to make up for the failed attempt to increase liquor prices to unsustainable levels. I guess they figured they'd try to gouge the Vibe passengers. Given the demand for the passes, they may succeed with this one!

You might be on to something . . .  Vibe passengers are a small percentage of the total passengers and thus will make far less of a stink.  

9 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

That’s fine. It’s not like I was going to get a pass anyway. I’d rather not start my vacation by stressing out hoping to be fast enough to pay for the privilege of hanging in the Cool Kids Club

Of course, the pay-for-exclusivity areas are my least favorite thing about cruises in general. I’d love to see the Haven go away entirely, but of course that’s not realistic. 

Agree, I did not see may "Cool Kids" up there nor on this ship nonetheless.  I think NCL and Carnival are either for the very frugal or new cruisers. My mom, who would save Christmas paper and tin foil loved NCL.  I saw most passenger with the peached colored badges meaning they are new cruisers to NCL. 
Although we enjoyed our cruise and the crew was excellent, NCL creates this little irritants that piss me of so much I will not go back.  
A FREE drink package is really $175 for 2 on a 7 day Cruise, does not include bottled water, specialty juices or specialty coffee? If you grab a beer or soda from the Mini bar that is charged! If you order a drink with room service, that too is charged and not on your drink package? - Why would they do this, Was this irritant worth the 2 or 3 coffees or juices I may might have ordered?
The ropes course, open just a few hours per day unless at sea, several bars in popular areas close early, just makes no sense. They spend so much on advertising only to put a fly in the ointment for their passengers once on board it just makes no sense. They could have raised my fare $50 to avoid the irritants. 
Yeah no rush to get a vibe ticket, maybe soon the airlines will follow by making coach and economy passengers stand on the pole so first class has room for a dance floor?

Edited by Sky111

9 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

That’s fine. It’s not like I was going to get a pass anyway. I’d rather not start my vacation by stressing out hoping to be fast enough to pay for the privilege of hanging in the Cool Kids Club. 

This is exactly my reasoning too. You get all hyped about an area, get to the terminal super early, run to where the passes are sold and most likely start your vacation with disappointment.

Not the way I want to start my cruise.

Also, I cruised the Escape this past July and my go to hangout on sea days was deck 19, right outside of Vibe, and it was a great spot.

Pretty quiet, great views, 2 whirlpools, a misting machine to cool off and we shared the same bar that Vibe people used.

Speaking to the bartenders who served both sides and some of the people going in and out of Vibe, I came to the conclusion it was only barely worth it at $99 but ridiculous for $200 or more. My opinion so don't kill me for it.

1 hour ago, Sky111 said:

Agree, I did not see may "Cool Kids" up there nor on this ship nonetheless.  I think NCL and Carnival are either for the very frugal or new cruisers. My mom, who would save Christmas paper and tin foil loved NCL.  I saw most passenger with the peached colored badges meaning they are new cruisers to NCL. 
Although we enjoyed our cruise and the crew was excellent, NCL creates this little irritants that piss me of so much I will not go back.  
A FREE drink package is really $175 for 2 on a 7 day Cruise, does not include bottled water, specialty juices or specialty coffee? If you grab a beer or soda from the Mini bar that is charged! If you order a drink with room service, that too is charged and not on your drink package? - Why would they do this, Was this irritant worth the 2 or 3 coffees or juices I may might have ordered?
The ropes course, open just a few hours per day unless at sea, several bars in popular areas close early, just makes no sense. They spend so much on advertising only to put a fly in the ointment for their passengers once on board it just makes no sense. They could have raised my fare $50 to avoid the irritants. 
Yeah no rush to get a vibe ticket, maybe soon the airlines will follow by making coach and economy passengers stand on the pole so first class has room for a dance floor?

Yep, it's the difference between feeling like a passenger and a guest. On NCL, you are a passenger, just like all the rest. Pretty much...if you touch something you buy it. Given the prices they are trying to charge, this is not ok.

We were at Vibe on the Escape with Rommel and Michael 2 years ago and we paid $99 pp.  We will not be paying the $400 for two on our next NCL cruise.  We are on the Yacht Club exclusive section on MSC during Christmas this year for $4800.  I just priced a midship balcony room on the Escape for the same week/same itinerary with drinks/dinner perk and added the $400 dollars for vibe totaling $4627.  The YC for the additional money is much more desirable with a private restaurant, pool/hot tub area with its own bar and breakfast/lunch area by the pool.  We will sail on the Escape without the Vibe and enjoy MSC YC.  There are too many options to be loyal to one cruise line at this point.  Although we have the same number of cruises under our belt with NCL and RCL, we have expanded our searches - now I look for itinerary and price.

1 hour ago, Sky111 said:

What if they wanted to raise your fare $500 to avoid the irritants?

Just because you place a dollar figure of $50 on the "irritant" doesn't mean NCL's profit motivation is in alignment.

It all makes perfect sense.  The same applies to the drastic change in the Vibe fee.  NCL wants to increase their profitability for the highly-demanded amenity and is going after it gangbusters.

When prices rise and the perceived benefit remains stagnant (or declines), consumers vocalize it and then, if nothing changes, modify their purchasing decisions.  The problem lies with consumers not modifying their purchasing decisions to the degree it impacts NCL's bottom line.  As long as ships "sail full" with guests paying the ever-increasing rates providing NCL with the net profit result, there will be some complaining about the situation.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cruiseguy2424 said:

After reading some replys it is reassuring to know less will be in Vibe. If you cant afford it you probably should not purchase, seems pretty simple. It was WAY to cheap. I applaud the move by NCL.

Lots of people can afford it, but make a decision to forego based on benefit received versus cost paid.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Lots of people can afford it, but make a decision to forego based on benefit received versus cost paid.

I rather put those $209 in a slot machine and try my luck or elsewhere even. I refuse to pay $209 for a lounge chair and hit and miss personalized bar service on an empty spot on the ship. If I want quiet time then I go to my stateroom, a plus if I have a balcony..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguy2424 said:

After reading some replys it is reassuring to know less will be in Vibe. If you cant afford it you probably should not purchase, seems pretty simple. It was WAY to cheap. I applaud the move by NCL.

It's really not a matter of being able to afford - it's a matter of choice.  I choose to go on 3-4 cruises a year looking for the best bang for my buck. Paying to sit at Vibe 10am - 7 pm without a pool and food service does not cut it for me.  It obviously is worth it to you.  Have fun!

1 hour ago, cruiseguy2424 said:

I can afford Vibe, but I am not going to pay extra for something that is not a good value. 

It has never been WAY to cheap. It doesn't even have a dipping pool to cool off in. It is not worth the money for a padded lounge chair. RCL has adult only solariums with padded loungers, and pools and hot tubs, included in the cruise fair. I think NCL is making a mistake doubling the price. 

7 minutes ago, DZcreature said:

I think NCL is making a mistake doubling the price. 

You may be right. I wonder what they'd do if fewer people now go to Vibe. They could actually lose onboard revenue if enough people forego it. I mean for $400 per couple, you have to at least consider upgrading to a balcony in lieu of Vibe. Wow, could you imagine....first, a 180 on the failed beverage package increase and second, a 180 on the failed Vibe price increase. I am telling you, people are tapped out on all these fees and surcharges. The bean counters at NCL better wake up and fast.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

What if they wanted to raise your fare $500 to avoid the irritants?

Just because you place a dollar figure of $50 on the "irritant" doesn't mean NCL's profit motivation is in alignment.

It all makes perfect sense.  The same applies to the drastic change in the Vibe fee.  NCL wants to increase their profitability for the highly-demanded amenity and is going after it gangbusters.

When prices rise and the perceived benefit remains stagnant (or declines), consumers vocalize it and then, if nothing changes, modify their purchasing decisions.  The problem lies with consumers not modifying their purchasing decisions to the degree it impacts NCL's bottom line.  As long as ships "sail full" with guests paying the ever-increasing rates providing NCL with the net profit result, there will be some complaining about the situation.

Considering NCL is already on the more expensive side when it comes to cruising...if they raised their fares by $500 then even more people would cruise on other cruise lines. I already find Celebrity to be cheaper and offer a better service. MSC is MUCH cheaper and they're a tad below NCL but they're getting things figured out bit by bit.

It's already impossible to find a 7 day sailing in a balcony cabin with a drink package on NCL. I can find that easily on MSC, Celebrity, certain Princess sailings, and even some RCL sailings. Want to raise your fares by $500? Ok...be my guest.

• Like 1

As far as the increase to the prices of vibe...

If NCL sells at least 1/2 of the vibe passes they're making more money then they did before since they doubled the price. It is supply and demand and if people would stop spending that kind of money on vibe then NCL would lower the price back down. Sometimes the consumer is it's own worst enemy.

• Like 2

IF people aren't running to get the passes, and they don't sell out within 30 minutes, the price is probably about right.  IF they are still running, and they sell out very quickly, the price is still too low.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

This is exactly my reasoning too. You get all hyped about an area, get to the terminal super early, run to where the passes are sold and most likely start your vacation with disappointment.

Not the way I want to start my cruise.

Also, I cruised the Escape this past July and my go to hangout on sea days was deck 19, right outside of Vibe, and it was a great spot.

Pretty quiet, great views, 2 whirlpools, a misting machine to cool off and we shared the same bar that Vibe people used.

Speaking to the bartenders who served both sides and some of the people going in and out of Vibe, I came to the conclusion it was only barely worth it at $99 but ridiculous for $200 or more. My opinion so don't kill me for it.

Now they have the option to be disappointed before even arriving at the terminal with a failed upgrade bid 48 hours beforehand.

27 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF people aren't running to get the passes, and they don't sell out within 30 minutes, the price is probably about right.  IF they are still running, and they sell out very quickly, the price is still too low.  

I think it was nice before when it was a perk for those in the know don't you agree?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sky111 said:

I think it was nice before when it was a perk for those in the know don't you agree?

No, it wasn't. Because many times even those in zone 1 boarding got there too late.

What NCL should have done is made the pass available for purchase on the NCL website once you pay your cruise in full and make the pass non-refundable so that those people that just put down deposits on everything can't purchase it. But those that are actually going can...and it would provide an incentive for people to book a cruise early. They could have done that and even raised the price to $149 (from $100 that it was 1-2 years ago). I bet it would have been a much easier pill to swallow.

34 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

No, it wasn't. Because many times even those in zone 1 boarding got there too late.

What NCL should have done is made the pass available for purchase on the NCL website once you pay your cruise in full and make the pass non-refundable so that those people that just put down deposits on everything can't purchase it. But those that are actually going can...and it would provide an incentive for people to book a cruise early. They could have done that and even raised the price to $149 (from $100 that it was 1-2 years ago). I bet it would have been a much easier pill to swallow.

I've been saying the same thing since day one. If you can buy a Thermal Pass online why not Vibe? My wife and I have had Vibe passes three times. Its not a great way to start off a cruise racing to get them. Last year we tried again, I wasn't going to do the running game. We boarded before group one and walked down to get our passes. Lots of angry people, Vibe was dam near sold out as soon as it opened. Over half the passes went to people in the Haven. I'm done with that game, the $209 price is a joke

• Like 1