MDR reservations

This is our first RC cruise with a family of seven under 2 reservations. I’ve done some searching on the boards and I’m still confused, would like to get input from my fellow cruisers before I call RCI.   We don’t want traditional dining because early is too early and late too late.  Also with 3 active kids, I’m sure there will be nights when they just want to grab some pizza or go to the buffet but we also want to do at least a few MDR nights.   I’m accustomed to anytime dining on Princess where we just show up whenever we choose and request a table, sometimes are seated immediately,  sometimes a short wait with a buzzer.   

We booked the cruise ourselves and I found the online planner and the dining option that says My Time dining, but when I clicked on that, it wants me to pick each day and time that we want!    That’s exactly what I DONT want to do, decide ahead of time when we want eat in the MDR!     I’m not finding the website to be very user friendly, so I apologize if these are dumb questions, but since they never asked during the booking process what kind of dining we want, can we just show up at a dining room on our chosen nights and ask for a table? Or is RC going to arbitrarily assign us a dining time?  We are booked on Liberty if that matters.  Thanks for your input. 

You do not have to make reservations. You can go when you want. Just like at a land based restaurant you may get right in or you may have to wait. Haven't been on Liberty but on Allure one dining room was used for MTD and 2 were for fixed seatings. I hope this helps!

No problems.. If you have chosen MTD as your dining option, you do not need to pre-book each night..  (Some people want to try and predict hunger, but we cannot).

Situation is the same as Princess where you can just roll up when and if you wish, on each day.  Only difference is that you are not issued a pager and drink voucher on RCI..  We have never had to wait more than a few minutes anyway...

Sue and Phil

(Must add, that with RCI , during the initial booking process, you would have selected traditional (1st or second set time/table) or MTD)

Edited by Big Kev

If you were able to make reservations for MyTime then that is what you currently are assigned to.  But there is NO requirement to make reservations.  Show up when you like.  Note that like shore restaurants, the dining room will fill about an hour after it opens and there won't be any tables (especially for 7) for about an hour after that.  So either show up when they open or after about 7 or so.  We make reservations for two, but we like to eat very early and have the same waiters each night.

12 minutes ago, LeeW said:

We make reservations for two, but we like to eat very early and have the same waiters each night.

We tend to do the same, but with a party of 7.  We shoot for 5:45-6.  If, on the first night, we like our wait staff and table, we request the same each night

Dan

11 hours ago, Big Kev said:

No problems.. If you have chosen MTD as your dining option, you do not need to pre-book each night..  (Some people want to try and predict hunger, but we cannot).

Situation is the same as Princess where you can just roll up when and if you wish, on each day.  Only difference is that you are not issued a pager and drink voucher on RCI..  We have never had to wait more than a few minutes anyway...

Sue and Phil

(Must add, that with RCI , during the initial booking process, you would have selected traditional (1st or second set time/table) or MTD)

So we have never had MTD on Royal, always late. But we are with a few rooms so we have MTD. So we just stand in line, not at the bar with a pager?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

So we have never had MTD on Royal, always late. But we are with a few rooms so we have MTD. So we just stand in line, not at the bar with a pager?

I don't think they have pagers.  I never saw any.  They did have a small area where you could sit and wait.  The only night we didn't have a reservation there were no lines and we were seated right away.  I hope this helps!

Thanks for the info everyone!  Sounds pretty similar to Princess, I must have just been overthinking it 🙄.   I honestly do not remember choosing a dining choice when I booked this cruise,  but apparently I must have.  I can’t find much info for the booking online, maybe I just haven’t stumbled across it yet. 

2 minutes ago, Maui Girl said:

Thanks for the info everyone!  Sounds pretty similar to Princess, I must have just been overthinking it 🙄.   I honestly do not remember choosing a dining choice when I booked this cruise,  but apparently I must have.  I can’t find much info for the booking online, maybe I just haven’t stumbled across it yet. 

We weren't given a choice for dinning preference.  The fixed times were all booked up so we were assigned to MTD.  That worked out great because that was what we wanted.

The only time I had MTD I just waited in the line for the next available table. I was asked if I wanted the same table, at the same time every night - I declined. The whole point of MTD is that you choose when you want to eat every night, according to your schedule, not the ship's. I was rather confused as to why I was asked to choose the same time/same table for each night, I guess maybe it benefits the staff not to have to find tables for everyone constantly?

Your MTD experience will be similar to Princess.  You can either make standing reservations, or do them daily, or simply show up.  The most "popular" times are not available for pre-booking.   If you're looking to eat around 7 or so, that's when everyone wants to!  There may be a slight wait!

4 hours ago, Maui Girl said:

Your dining choice is listed in the email invoice that you received from Royal. I have never seen that info online. 

Your dining choice is listed in the email invoice that you received from Royal. I have never seen that info online. 

Tree_Skier,  the only email I have ever received was a confirmation of my deposit payment with the reservation number and telling me to create an account online which I did.  No “ invoice “ per se.   Online, all it shows is my reservation number and cabin number.  

5 hours ago, traveltilidrop said:

The only time I had MTD I just waited in the line for the next available table. I was asked if I wanted the same table, at the same time every night - I declined. The whole point of MTD is that you choose when you want to eat every night, according to your schedule, not the ship's. I was rather confused as to why I was asked to choose the same time/same table for each night, I guess maybe it benefits the staff not to have to find tables for everyone constantly?

I agree, that’s usually the point, not having to decide ahead of time.  Although I think there are people who do want to have the same table and wait staff every night, they just don’t like the traditional dining time frame.  That’s probably why they asked you.  

11 hours ago, Maui Girl said:

Your dining choice is listed in the email invoice that you received from Royal. I have never seen that info online. 

Tree_Skier,  the only email I have ever received was a confirmation of my deposit payment with the reservation number and telling me to create an account online which I did.  No “ invoice “ per se.   Online, all it shows is my reservation number and cabin number.  

I've heard they don't automatically send the invoice (which is weird in my opinion).  But it's easy to get.  Just call the main customer service number and one of the automated options is to be emailed a copy of your current statement.  I've seen lots of people recommend doing this after each payment just to have the records.

41 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I've heard they don't automatically send the invoice (which is weird in my opinion).  But it's easy to get.  Just call the main customer service number and one of the automated options is to be emailed a copy of your current statement.  I've seen lots of people recommend doing this after each payment just to have the records.

I will do that, thanks for the tip!  And it does seem weird that they don’t do it automatically 

41 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Yeah I found that odd for our last cruise, I swear we've gotten those previously but this time we never did and I never called to get one, I figured I only really needed to if something seemed wonky online but everything there was fine and I had booked after final payment so PIF when booking.  I likely never asked for the invoice because I didn't want to be reminded what I paid - was completely worth it though (last minute spring break trip with youngest, senior year of college) 🙂

11 hours ago, Maui Girl said:

In that confirmation email you received there should also be attached a file called... cruise_vacation_receipt.pdf or something similar.  The attachment should be at the very bottom of the email usually but I guess that could be different depending on your email client.  Either way though, a call to Royal and they will email you the receipt if for some reason it isn't attached.  That being said reservations are not necessary and you can go to the MDR for dinner when it suits your schedule.  The waits are usually pretty short.

44 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I've gotten a receipt automatically when I booked online and with each subsequent online payment a new and updated receipt has been sent automatically as well.  It's odd that that is not happening all the time for everyone.  But then this is the RCi website we are talking about so nothing should really be a surprise.

I went back and checked the original email again and there was no attachment, so I called the number and got a current invoice sent right away.  Amazing, I’m positive I’ve never seen that form before!  At least now I know all my details, including the My Time dining.   

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 12:00 AM, Maui Girl said:

This is our first RC cruise with a family of seven under 2 reservations. I’ve done some searching on the boards and I’m still confused, would like to get input from my fellow cruisers before I call RCI.   We don’t want traditional dining because early is too early and late too late.  Also with 3 active kids, I’m sure there will be nights when they just want to grab some pizza or go to the buffet but we also want to do at least a few MDR nights.   I’m accustomed to anytime dining on Princess where we just show up whenever we choose and request a table, sometimes are seated immediately,  sometimes a short wait with a buzzer.   

We booked the cruise ourselves and I found the online planner and the dining option that says My Time dining, but when I clicked on that, it wants me to pick each day and time that we want!    That’s exactly what I DONT want to do, decide ahead of time when we want eat in the MDR!     I’m not finding the website to be very user friendly, so I apologize if these are dumb questions, but since they never asked during the booking process what kind of dining we want, can we just show up at a dining room on our chosen nights and ask for a table? Or is RC going to arbitrarily assign us a dining time?  We are booked on Liberty if that matters.  Thanks for your input. 

You can email the dining department at Royal, and describe your situation and group size...often they can accommodate preferences (such as early dining at a large table the same time every day). 

As others have indicated, your online dining planning is based on one of two scenarios - flexible/My Time dining or else "traditional" dining (the same time daily - usually 5:30 or 6:00pm).