Riverside Hotel, Ft. Lauderdale-questions?

j3000

I just booked the Riverside for 1 night pre-cruise in April. I got it thru Hotwire, as other hotel prices were outrageous! Its a little farther west on las Olas than i thought. I'm wondering if they offer a shuttle to Port E, if so the cost, and any comments?

also anyone know what a taxi would cost? this would be on a sunday (before you suggest...we've never used uber 👳‍♂️)

also any general comments on this hotel? thanks

3 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

I just booked the Riverside for 1 night pre-cruise in April. I got it thru Hotwire, as other hotel prices were outrageous! Its a little farther west on las Olas than i thought. I'm wondering if they offer a shuttle to Port E, if so the cost, and any comments?

also anyone know what a taxi would cost? this would be on a sunday (before you suggest...we've never used uber 👳‍♂️)

also any general comments on this hotel? thanks

The location is perfect i always stay there. On the Riverwalk and Water Taxi stop there. Two kinds of rooms, tower rooms which are modern and classic rooms which are dated. You should start using Uber. Taxi is about $20 and Uber is $13. Taxi is metered to if there is a lot of traffic which there always is the taxi price can shoot up. Uber price is not metered. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The location is perfect i always stay there. On the Riverwalk and Water Taxi stop there. Two kinds of rooms, tower rooms which are modern and classic rooms which are dated. You should start using Uber. Taxi is about $20 and Uber is $13. Taxi is metered to if there is a lot of traffic which there always is the taxi price can shoot up. Uber price is not metered. 

haha...you sound like my kids!

I know i can look this up somewhere....but coupla uber questions.

can you book them on an ipad?( I wont have a phone with me)

can you book them in advance - to pick you up at a certain time?

17 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

haha...you sound like my kids!

I know i can look this up somewhere....but coupla uber questions.

can you book them on an ipad?( I wont have a phone with me)

can you book them in advance - to pick you up at a certain time?

You could install the Uber app on an iPad but I would not. Sometimes need to talk to the driver. As far as picking up at a certain time we can here but I don't know about Fort Lauderdale. Sometimes service offered is different in other cities. I don't really know why I would order an Uber pick up in advance. They show up pretty fast. 

Stayed there late Feb.  Was in a really nice location.  Tons of restaurants to choose from within a couple blocks.  Nice little bakery across the street too.  As mentioned the water taxi stop is steps away, and there is a trolley that will take you down to the beach I think it was $1 per ride or $3 day pass.  We took it one way and had a leisurely walked back.

19 hours ago, trophy_23 said:

Stayed there late Feb.  Was in a really nice location.  Tons of restaurants to choose from within a couple blocks.  Nice little bakery across the street too.  As mentioned the water taxi stop is steps away, and there is a trolley that will take you down to the beach I think it was $1 per ride or $3 day pass.  We took it one way and had a leisurely walked back.

thats good info troph....we're avid walkers. how long is the stoll to or from the beach do you figure...for people who do a fair bit of walking?

The older rooms may be dated, but they are clean and “classy.”

The hotel has a beautiful pool right on the New River.  There is a CVS which has wine and other beverages within walking distance.  There is also a Starbucks within walking distance.

7 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

thats good info troph....we're avid walkers. how long is the stoll to or from the beach do you figure...for people who do a fair bit of walking?

We walked all around the beach area in and out of shops and had a bite at a restaurant. The walk from beach back along Las Olas was probably about 30min at a pretty relaxed pace. Lots of boats to see in the canals along the way on both sides of the street and some nice homes.  We shopped at the CVS mentioned above, there is also one by the beach where we got a few things as well.  

The bakery I mentioned across the street from the hotel has really good pastries (and other things), If you aren’t into having a big breakfast, we found it handy to grab one for the road (our fave was the apple strudel type).

There is also the Riverwalk along the river behind the hotel. We walked a fair distance and along the way there was a large festival at one of the parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bakery I mentioned across the street from the hotel has really good pastries (and other things), If you aren’t into having a big breakfast, we found it handy to grab one for the road (our fave was the apple strudel type).

I had the strudel for an afternoon snack after getting in from the airport. The bakery also had Italian espresso coffees. No need for Starbucks. There is also a coffee cafe at a flower store a few blocks away. We like a big breakfast. We have had breakfast outdoors at the hotels restaurant or a few blocks away at a crepe restaurant that also has outdoors seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Stranahan House is just a few minutes walk from the hotel.  It is the oldest house in Fort Lauderdale ( c. 1901 ) and is open for tours.  It provides a very interesting history of Fort Lsuderdale.

thats all good info. guys .much appreciated.

charles, you said the magic woids, for me..... "crepe restaurant"! lol

I googled & came up with "la Bonne Crepe" 815 las olas.... 2 min walk...

I assume thats it?🤪

also, were not big breakfast eaters...so that italian bakery & coffee sounds good!

any other comments / tips welcome...

I don't know when you are arriving on Saturday, but if you are looking for something to do the Carrie B (www.carriebcruises.com) offers 90 minute narrated tours of the intracoastal and the New River.  The stop is within a block of the Riverside.

thats all good info. guys .much appreciated. charles, you said the magic woids, for me..... "crepe restaurant"! lol

I googled & came up with "la Bonne Crepe" 815 las olas.... 2 min walk...

I assume thats it?[emoji2957]

also, were not big breakfast eaters...so that italian bakery & coffee sounds good!

any other comments / tips welcome...

Yes, La Bonne Crepe is the one.

There are loads of restaurant choices in walking distance. I like Big City Tavern right across the street and Royal Pig Pub a few blocks down but there are many restaurants to choose from.

The water taxi is not just for getting from one place to another. I have ridden their boats as a tour. The rides are narrated with commentary and information.

Le Bon Crepe was really good both for lunch and dinner! The place next door to LBC, ‘El Camino’ (mexican food), was also really good.  We tried to get in there to eat and it was over an hour wait so we asked if they did take out and took our order back to the hotel to eat (was ready in about 20min).  We each had a burrito, they were really good!  Hotel has a restaurant below, but we didnt try it and the Cheesecake factory is next to the hotel as well, so no shortage of places to eat near by.

Edited by trophy_23