Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
colgal77

Hilton Garden Staten Island stay, park, cruise shuttle package

Recommended Posts

Has anyone done the stay, park and cruise package from the Hilton Garden Staten Island?  I have not been able to find much information on this.  Wondering about the security of the parking lot and overall if this is a good choice.  How was the shuttle to and from Cape Liberty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggest looking at the reviews in TripAdvisor. The negative reviews (poor and terrible) seem too high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, colgal77 said:

Has anyone done the stay, park and cruise package from the Hilton Garden Staten Island?  I have not been able to find much information on this.  Wondering about the security of the parking lot and overall if this is a good choice.  How was the shuttle to and from Cape Liberty?

It looks like you’re coming from Ontario.  Hilton Garden is showing at $262 tax included for May 8.  Add on another $15 for the bridge toll and about $3 for the extra turnpike toll, so you’re all in at $280 plus some extra gas.  But don’t forget to consider the additional travel time of 15-30 minutes to to go the additional 10 miles each way to get yourselves between the Newark airport area and the HG on Staten Island.

 

How many people are you?  Did you consider the park/sleep cruise options through trinityreservations.com, which quotes tax included?

 

You have a long trip without needing to add extra time to it.  HG is perfectly fine - nice suburban like setting in a wooded corporate park - you won’t know you’re in NYC.  Haven’t used their shuttle, so I can’t comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 138east said:

It looks like you’re coming from Ontario.  Hilton Garden is showing at $262 tax included for May 8.  Add on another $15 for the bridge toll and about $3 for the extra turnpike toll, so you’re all in at $280 plus some extra gas.  But don’t forget to consider the additional travel time of 15-30 minutes to to go the additional 10 miles each way to get yourselves between the Newark airport area and the HG on Staten Island.

 

How many people are you?  Did you consider the park/sleep cruise options through trinityreservations.com, which quotes tax included?

 

You have a long trip without needing to add extra time to it.  HG is perfectly fine - nice suburban like setting in a wooded corporate park - you won’t know you’re in NYC.  Haven’t used their shuttle, so I can’t comment.

There are 4 of us.  Thx for the extra info.  That was the rate we got, but I didnt know about the extras you mentioned so thanks.  I am considering staying 45mins to an hour from the port and just driving in the morning of and parking at the port as well.  Some people are saying Morristown or Secaucus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

Parking at the port is easy. I would recommend that.

Now to find an inexpensive yet decent hotel within an our drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colgal77 said:

Now to find an inexpensive yet decent hotel within an our drive.

That’s the problem.  You need a hotel on a business travel night, which is more expensive.  Look at Holiday Inn in Budd Lake or Totowa.  They are reasonably priced for your date.  The Totowa HI offers queen beds if bed size is a consideration.

 

If you leave the hotel between 9 and 9:30 am, you should miss the rush hour traffic and arrive at the port before the access road backs up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 8:55 AM, colgal77 said:

Has anyone done the stay, park and cruise package from the Hilton Garden Staten Island?  I have not been able to find much information on this.  Wondering about the security of the parking lot and overall if this is a good choice.  How was the shuttle to and from Cape Liberty?

Why don't you try booking the Hilton Garden Inn, RIdgefield Park, NJ.  It is very close to the Geo. Washington bridge.  This hotel offers the cruise package.  We booked a room for $278 including taxes and breakfast.  A limo will pick you up at the time of your choice and drive you to the pier.  When you return, you give them a call and they will pick you up from the pier and return you to the hotel to get your car.

 

Nice property right across the road from the Samsung office complex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 12:14 PM, DKane said:

Why don't you try booking the Hilton Garden Inn, RIdgefield Park, NJ.  It is very close to the Geo. Washington bridge.  This hotel offers the cruise package.  We booked a room for $278 including taxes and breakfast.  A limo will pick you up at the time of your choice and drive you to the pier.  When you return, you give them a call and they will pick you up from the pier and return you to the hotel to get your car.

 

Nice property right across the road from the Samsung office complex.

The package at this hotel is for the Manhattan Cruiseport. The OP is sailing from Cape Liberty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to check out the Marriott Courtyard and the Hilton Garden Inn, both in Edison, NJ. They are right off Rt 440 and an easy drive across the Outerbridge to Staten Island and then on to the cruiseport. If you are willing to drive to the port it is very easy to get there and parking is easy also. I am quite sure these hotels are more reasonable than the the prices around $275 you have gotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hootie&Pokey said:

You might want to check out the Marriott Courtyard and the Hilton Garden Inn, both in Edison, NJ. They are right off Rt 440 and an easy drive across the Outerbridge to Staten Island and then on to the cruiseport. If you are willing to drive to the port it is very easy to get there and parking is easy also. I am quite sure these hotels are more reasonable than the the prices around $275 you have gotten.

To get to Cape Liberty from Edison NJ there is no reason to pay the $15 Outerbridge Crossing toll to go to Staten Island and back to NY unless the NJ Turnpike has serious traffic problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, 138east said:

The package at this hotel is for the Manhattan Cruiseport. The OP is sailing from Cape Liberty.

Well that's a surprise to me.  They never once asked which cruise port we were sailing from.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DKane said:

Well that's a surprise to me.  They never once asked which cruise port we were sailing from.  

My bad.  The web site does says they service Cape Liberty. The first layer of the hotel’s web site says this:

 

The Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park is just 12 miles from the Manhattan Cruise Port. Take advantage of our complimentary on-site car parking, transportation to the cruise port and breakfast!

 

If you click on “More Details” it says:

 

Our NYC Park, Ride and Cruise Package includes:

• King or Double/Double room accommodations
• Free parking for one car for the entire duration of the cruise
• Buffet and cooked-to-order breakfast 
Transportation to the Manhattan and Cape Liberty (Bayonne) Cruise Ports - daily scheduled drop-off at 9:00am and 11:00am and pick-up between 9:30am to 12:30pm

*Prices include up to two adults; any additional person $50 per transportation round trip 
If you're looking for something to do the night before your cruise, we are located within walking distance of a movie theater. We also offer an on-site restaurant, lobby bar along with room service, indoor pool and fitness center. Let's start creating memories at the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park!

 

Technically Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ is not a NYC Cruiseport.  It’s a New York area Cruiseport, but it’s definitely not in NYC like the Manhattan Cruiseport and Brooklyn Cruiseport are.  Hilton Garden Ridgefield is 12 miles from the Manhattan Cruiseport, but it’s over 20 miles from Cape Liberty.

Edited by 138east

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 138east said:

My bad.  The web site does says they service Cape Liberty. The first layer of the hotel’s web site says this:

 

The Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park is just 12 miles from the Manhattan Cruise Port. Take advantage of our complimentary on-site car parking, transportation to the cruise port and breakfast!

 

If you click on “More Details” it says:

 

Our NYC Park, Ride and Cruise Package includes:

• King or Double/Double room accommodations
• Free parking for one car for the entire duration of the cruise
• Buffet and cooked-to-order breakfast 
Transportation to the Manhattan and Cape Liberty (Bayonne) Cruise Ports - daily scheduled drop-off at 9:00am and 11:00am and pick-up between 9:30am to 12:30pm

*Prices include up to two adults; any additional person $50 per transportation round trip 
If you're looking for something to do the night before your cruise, we are located within walking distance of a movie theater. We also offer an on-site restaurant, lobby bar along with room service, indoor pool and fitness center. Let's start creating memories at the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park!

 

Technically Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ is not a NYC Cruiseport.  It’s a New York area Cruiseport, but it’s definitely not in NYC like the Manhattan Cruiseport and Brooklyn Cruiseport are.  Hilton Garden Ridgefield is 12 miles from the Manhattan Cruiseport, but it’s over 20 miles from Cape Liberty.

I may be wrong, but I think Cape Liberty is a very recent addition to their cruise package. I don't recall seeing it in the past when I've done a double check to see if the package was still offered. I suspect the first sentence  that says they are 12 miles from Manhattan but makes no mention of  Cape Liberty supports my hypothesis that Cape Liberty was just recently added.

 

Of course to add to the confusion, Brooklyn is a NYC cruise port but they don't offer the package for Brooklyn, while they do offer it for Cape Liberty, which isn't .  

 

Edited by njhorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I may be wrong, but I think Cape Liberty is a very recent addition to their cruise package. I don't recall seeing it in the past when I've done a double check to see if the package was still offered. I suspect the first sentence  that says they are 12 miles from Manhattan but makes no mention of  Cape Liberty supports my hypothesis that Cape Liberty was just recently added.

 

Of course to add to the confusion, Brooklyn is a NYC cruise port but they don't offer the package for Brooklyn, while they do offer it for Cape Liberty, which isn't .  

 

I think you’re right.  Maybe I didn’t miss it before - it just wasn’t there.  

 

So so many folks drive a long distance to cruise from one of the cruise ports and they really don’t know anything about the New York metro area - the traffic, the tolls, NYC taxi fares to outside the NYC limits, public transit like trains, buses, subways, and light rail, hotel prices, etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have used the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park to get to Manhattan Port - and it could NOT have been any easier.  Trips both ways to/from the port to the hotel were much easier. 

Since we had to stay somewhere overnight anyway, it ended up only being about $60-70 over the price of parking at the pier.  I couldn't find any hotel with a short drive in the morning for better than that.   It's about a 5 hour drive for us to northern NJ and there's an adequate restaurant in the hotel that also has a decent complementary breakfast.

For our first time it was a great experience.  We are most likely doing that again for our 2nd cruise out of Manhattan.

Though you're sailing out of a different port, I suspect the experience would be just as positive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2019 at 6:01 PM, 138east said:

I think you’re right.  Maybe I didn’t miss it before - it just wasn’t there.  

 

So so many folks drive a long distance to cruise from one of the cruise ports and they really don’t know anything about the New York metro area - the traffic, the tolls, NYC taxi fares to outside the NYC limits, public transit like trains, buses, subways, and light rail, hotel prices, etc etc.

So we are just over 2 weeks out for sailing and I still do not have another hotel booked.... looking for something $150 or lower.  WE wont be there long... probably arriving 7pm and leaving 9am or whatever time is recommended to get to port with lots of time to spare.

 

138east I tried dm'ing you but it wouldnt let me 🙂

 

Also, what travel route is best to get to the port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, colgal77 said:

So we are just over 2 weeks out for sailing and I still do not have another hotel booked.... looking for something $150 or lower.  WE wont be there long... probably arriving 7pm and leaving 9am or whatever time is recommended to get to port with lots of time to spare.

 

138east I tried dm'ing you but it wouldnt let me 🙂

 

Also, what travel route is best to get to the port?

 

7 hours ago, colgal77 said:

So we are just over 2 weeks out for sailing and I still do not have another hotel booked.... looking for something $150 or lower.  WE wont be there long... probably arriving 7pm and leaving 9am or whatever time is recommended to get to port with lots of time to spare.

 

138east I tried dm'ing you but it wouldnt let me 🙂

 

Also, what travel route is best to get to the port?

  ok - so you’re down to the wire.  Look at the Red Roof in on Hotwire  - about $67 plus $10 tax - 2 double beds - cancellable until May 8.  TripAdvisor reviews are very good for any hotel like this at this price point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think of?    I booked it last night (free cancellation) bc it was a timed deal... got for $139CAN all included.  Looks kinda weird to get there as you have to bypass cutoff and turn around but no biggie.

 

 

Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk, Harrison

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 138east said:

 

  ok - so you’re down to the wire.  Look at the Red Roof in on Hotwire  - about $67 plus $10 tax - 2 double beds - cancellable until May 8.  TripAdvisor reviews are very good for any hotel like this at this price point.

 

What do you think of?    I booked it last night (free cancellation) bc it was a timed deal... got for $139CAN all included.  Looks kinda weird to get there as you have to bypass cutoff and turn around but no biggie.  Thanks so much for your help... you seem to now this area so well.

 

 

Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk, Harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, colgal77 said:

What do you think of?    I booked it last night (free cancellation) bc it was a timed deal... got for $139CAN all included.  Looks kinda weird to get there as you have to bypass cutoff and turn around but no biggie.  Thanks so much for your help... you seem to now this area so well.

 

 

Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk, Harrison

This hotel is in the highly urban area of Newark/Harrison with few services.  Personally I would never suggest this area to out of towners arriving from a very long trip with children.  Staying an hour out in a nicer suburban area is a strategy we often recommend - no reason to deal with the congested NY metro area after a long trip or trying to find a hotel on local streets in Newark/Harrison. The morning of the cruise you leave around 9 am to miss the height of the rush hour, you come in I80 and take the NJ Turnpike south to Exit 14A Bayonne.  No reason to deal with any local streets in Newark/Harrison at all.

 

For the Turnpike south from I80 you follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel, but do not get off at that exit.  Stay on the turnpike to exits 14-14A-14B-14C and get off at exit 14A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 138east said:

This hotel is in the highly urban area of Newark/Harrison with few services.  Personally I would never suggest this area to out of towners arriving from a very long trip with children.  Staying an hour out in a nicer suburban area is a strategy we often recommend - no reason to deal with the congested NY metro area after a long trip or trying to find a hotel on local streets in Newark/Harrison. The morning of the cruise you leave around 9 am to miss the height of the rush hour, you come in I80 and take the NJ Turnpike south to Exit 14A Bayonne.  No reason to deal with any local streets in Newark/Harrison at all.

 

For the Turnpike south from I80 you follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel, but do not get off at that exit.  Stay on the turnpike to exits 14-14A-14B-14C and get off at exit 14A.

 

 

Thanks!  That was the one thing I was concerned about being in an urban area but the reviews were really good.

 

So an hour out would put me in which town? suburb?  I will plug that in and try to see what is avail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, colgal77 said:

 

 

Thanks!  That was the one thing I was concerned about being in an urban area but the reviews were really good.

 

So an hour out would put me in which town? suburb?  I will plug that in and try to see what is avail.

The Hampton Inn is apparently nice, but the neighborhood is very urban. 

 

Look at Parsippany NJ.  Budget hotels would be Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, Ramada, and Travelodge.  I believe these hotels are on US route 46 which means they will have nearby services and are close to I80, so it should be an easy off, easy on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may regret this... but I think (right now anyway which could change) we are going to stay at the Hampton.  It appears to be right off the highway we need to take to get to the pier anyway (although we will have to travel through some urban area).  Im thinking of stopping for dinner in the suburbs and then early evening heading to the hotel for the night.  We dont plan on doing anything once we get to the hotel except use the pool (which is a bonus as the budget ones did not) and call it an early night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately you have to decide what’s best. Hopefully someone who is familiar with getting off I280 at night in Newark and finding  the Hampton will give their opinion about that specific area. Personally I’ve gotten a bit lost in a nearby area and was not comfortable with the experience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...