Cabin Service only once a day? Carnival Sunshine

karen3637

17 minutes ago, hawaiibound24 said:

I've heard this stated before. If true, is this really an issue? Would they not also get the tips from 31 cabins? 

They do, and they pay the help the hired (if so)with it, all of which is immaterial to those staying in the room.

4 hours ago, Hotdog 52 said:

I want to be sure I understand, the room Stewarts have more rooms to clean so they hire help and pay out of their own pockets?  Carnival doesn't pick up the tab for the extra help?

They have other jobs on the ship.

The point is, instead of 3 stewards for 60 cabins, you have 2 stewards for 60 cabins. The two stewards pay out of their pockets for help from time to time. So, they don't keep the all the gratuities from the 30 cabins. Plus, Carnival doesn't have to pay a wage or provide a room for the third cabin steward that has been eliminated Carnival is making out at the expense of the cabin stewards. That's the point.  Thanks for exposing this situation. As stock holders, we want to know.

Edited by Hotdog 52
addition

10 minutes ago, Hotdog 52 said:

The point is, instead of 3 stewards for 60 cabins, you have 2 stewards for 60 cabins. The two stewards pay out of their pockets for help from time to time. So, they don't keep the all the gratuities from the 30 cabins. Plus, Carnival doesn't have to pay a wage or provide a room for the third cabin steward. Carnival is making out at the expense of the cabin stewards. That's the point.  Thanks for exposing this situation. As stock holders, we want to know.

I have no idea who keeps the gratuities, maybe you can bring it up at the next stockholder meeting.  If it were a stockholder issue (and it is not) they would be pleased not upset.  The REAL point is, is you as a cruiser have an option to choose when you want you cabin cleaned early late or both and you can or choose not to follow their tipping recommendations, the rest is really none of our business.  Would u feel better if a room steward had 5 cabins?  One thing and one thing only is what stock holders care about....stock holder equity.  Oh and you are wrong, they already are employees and are getting paid a wage...who said they did not?

Edited by jimbo5544

Reread my post. The eliminated steward is getting nothing. I am a stockholder and care if the stewards are getting a fair shake having more rooms than they can handle and having to pay someone out of their pocket to help them from time to time as stated in your post # 44. Another reason for them to want to provide once a day service.

I was on the Splendor in November 2018.  Cabin steward asked us if we wanted morning or evening and we told him that it was up to him and his schedule.  We did tip him that day(maybe $20 bucks if I remember, could have been $40).  We received morning and evening service.  Didn't have to request it.  It was really nice to have the room made up in the morning and when we returned to our cabin in the evening, the bed was turned down and fresh towels were in the bathroom.  I wish I would have written his name down because he was really friendly.  Reminded me of cabin stewards of the past.  He would always shout down the hallway a good morning if he saw us.  Just a great experience.

5 minutes ago, Hotdog 52 said:

Reread my post. The eliminated steward is getting nothing. I am a stockholder and care if the stewards are getting a fair shake having more rooms than they can handle and having to pay someone out of their pocket to help them from time to time as stated in your post # 44. Another reason for them to want to provide once a day service.

Well that is a view.  My view is I now have an option I did not have before, I select the time I want and magically it happens...poof.  Have no reason to question labor assignment if it meets what has been stated as the level of service.  You can stir the pot any way you wish.... Early late or both, no reason to do anything other then provide the level of service Carnival wants them to.... the rest is smoke and mirrors to support a what if scenario...

2 minutes ago, lasvegascruising said:

I was on the Splendor in November 2018.  Cabin steward asked us if we wanted morning or evening and we told him that it was up to him and his schedule.  We did tip him that day(maybe $20 bucks if I remember, could have been $40).  We received morning and evening service.  Didn't have to request it.  It was really nice to have the room made up in the morning and when we returned to our cabin in the evening, the bed was turned down and fresh towels were in the bathroom.  I wish I would have written his name down because he was really friendly.  Reminded me of cabin stewards of the past.  He would always shout down the hallway a good morning if he saw us.  Just a great experience.

The system works, this staff works hard and does it with a smile and provides great service.  You said it well, all you really care about is your cabin.

18 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

There are several reasons why a person would want twice a day service.  They shower in the morning, steward comes and cleans in the morning and replaces towels.  People come back from the beach and take another shower.  Now they have no dry towels for their shower the next morning.  They may have tracked sand in the cabin from their shoes.  People may want ice twice a day.  It's nobody else's business why someone would want service twice a day.

We just got off of the Horizon.  Our steward had the form in his hand.  He pointed to it and asked which we wanted.  It clearly said Morning, Evening or Both.  We said both and he marked both and never batted an eye.  

Sorry if I struck a nerve. Wasn't my intent.  We prefer only to have evening service as we enjoy our alone time in the mornings.  Don't like a steward knocking on the door. Everyone has preferences.  Mine is to not stand in line, and some may find that curious.  

BTW, please don't ever fire Harbaugh.

Edited by SurfCat

20 hours ago, coevan said:

What, the option to speak? It's a great sales approach only offer the options you want.

No they just ask her morning or evening not both, LOL!  She has no trouble speaking!

On 3/18/2019 at 5:20 AM, RWolver672 said:

There are several reasons why a person would want twice a day service.  They shower in the morning, steward comes and cleans in the morning and replaces towels.  People come back from the beach and take another shower.  Now they have no dry towels for their shower the next morning.  They may have tracked sand in the cabin from their shoes.  People may want ice twice a day.  It's nobody else's business why someone would want service twice a day.

We just got off of the Horizon.  Our steward had the form in his hand.  He pointed to it and asked which we wanted.  It clearly said Morning, Evening or Both.  We said both and he marked both and never batted an eye.  

Agree with every word!!

👍

Edited by ObstructedView2

11 hours ago, Hotdog 52 said:

I'm with you.  Some may call it "smoke and mirrors" or irrelevant, and they're entitled to their opinion.  My opinion is that the Stewards (and wait staff) are being overworked, and service levels have gradually diminished and will continue to do so as a result.  Still friendly and accommodating, but you can only slice the pie so many times.  For me, I appreciate the crew and their desire to please, but it irritates me to know that they are being asked to do more with less manpower.    

• Like 1

If I'm on vacation I don't need or want to know the number of room stewards or how many cabins they have to service.  Not my business.  I do know I want twice a day service.  If a steward gives me a choice of either morning or evening but not both I would simply ask him if I need to call Guest Services to get both.  I take good care of the stewards...I leave the auto-tips on and give extra at the end, I'm not a slob and will pick up before leaving the cabin for the day.  I don't need ice, bathrobes, towel animals or extra hangers.  Bottom line...they have a choice.  At the end of their contract they can choose to go to another line or stay with Carnival or they can choose another way to make a living.

• Like 6

On 3/18/2019 at 9:51 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

My comment depends on the accuracy of my source inside Carnival. This same source also told me Carnival was going to start charging for all room service, which has not happened, so my source may not be reliable. 

Ya think?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

If I'm on vacation I don't need or want to know the number of room stewards or how many cabins they have to service.  Not my business.  I do know I want twice a day service.  If a steward gives me a choice of either morning or evening but not both I would simply ask him if I need to call Guest Services to get both.  I take good care of the stewards...I leave the auto-tips on and give extra at the end, I'm not a slob and will pick up before leaving the cabin for the day.  I don't need ice, bathrobes, towel animals or extra hangers.  Bottom line...they have a choice.  At the end of their contract they can choose to go to another line or stay with Carnival or they can choose another way to make a living.

Nice post, despite much belaboring by some who said it was going away, it has not...  I really do not care how many rooms a RS has to clean or whether he has a team to support him to get it done.  Every cruise I have been offered options which I select from and in each and every cruise, the RS has exceeded what was expected.  From my perspective until things change dramatically, the rest is just talk...

• Like 1

I swear....why do cruisers have the tendency to want to to interject themselves into the labor practices on a ship.  They aren't concerned with their restaurant server at home who may be working two jobs to make ends meet which is common in many service industries.  Let them board a ship and they want to analyze work load and financials like it is their job.

• Like 4

On our past few cruises we have been asked if we want just once a day cleaning service and we always say twice a day. Haven't noticed any upset look on the faces on the room stewards. We'll see what happens on the Miracle next month, but we'll still say twice a day.