Cabin Service only once a day? Carnival Sunshine

karen3637

5 hours ago, SurfCat said:

Why?

There are several reasons why a person would want twice a day service.  They shower in the morning, steward comes and cleans in the morning and replaces towels.  People come back from the beach and take another shower.  Now they have no dry towels for their shower the next morning.  They may have tracked sand in the cabin from their shoes.  People may want ice twice a day.  It's nobody else's business why someone would want service twice a day.

We just got off of the Horizon.  Our steward had the form in his hand.  He pointed to it and asked which we wanted.  It clearly said Morning, Evening or Both.  We said both and he marked both and never batted an eye.  

• Like 6

Here's a key point to all of this for us.  We typically will purchase a vodka/mixer package for the cabin that we pay Carnival an inflated price for.  We don't smuggle and don't complain about the cost.  But in the Caribbean, by getting our service twice a day, we get ICE SERVICE twice a day (as it melts/get used probably within 8 hours).  In light of that $80 bottle of spirits I bought, anything less wouldn't be okay.

Here's another thing.  We work hard to maintain an orderly cabin.  I've peeked in some of your rooms when the door is open.  My God people!  (No steward has ever been overworked in ours.)

• Like 2

Our friends just got off the Paradise and were offered once a day morning or night.  This  was the first thing she said to me about Carnival and that they had changed to once a day.  They had previously cruised Carnival but their most recent trip was on Viking.  I told her she should have asked for twice a day but she said they were not given the option.

We just got back from the Fascination and our room steward Jerny, offered morning, evening or both. We chose both because we wanted fresh ice and towels. There were 3 adult women in that cabin, we kept it tidy, but between the sand from the beach and the towels needing to be replaced a lot, I'm glad we had twice a day.

30 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My comment depends on the accuracy of my source inside Carnival. This same source also told me Carnival was going to start charging for all room service, which has not happened, so my source may not be reliable. 

Fair enough

2 hours ago, JaniceB said:

I told her she should have asked for twice a day but she said they were not given the option.

What, the option to speak? It's a great sales approach only offer the options you want.

I remember right before they started asking being amazed at how many people actually wrote into Heald complaining about their rooms being cleaned twice a day, some being annoyed with even once a day service, having bathrobes in their rooms, having ice, etc.  Personally I look at those as a perk to cruising over land-based vacations, but to each their own.  

Then there were a number of complaints when the forms came out about service being only once a day and JH came out and relayed that we were more than welcome to choose both morning and evening even though that was not a separate choice on the form.  I have had some stewards ask which, I told them both, and have never had an issue.  If that choice is showing up on forms now, those might be new forms in response to the confusion over the choices. 

Personally I like coming back from excursions and dinner to a fresh room.  As long as that is an option, we will be taking full advantage of it and just using the "Snoozin'" door hanger during any time that we don't want service.  Always works well for us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, coevan said:

What, the option to speak? It's a great sales approach only offer the options you want.

And we come full circle.

Remember when this first started many cruisers posted pictures of the card that had a box to check for morning and a box to check for evening, but no indication anywhere that one could check both boxes?

22 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

And we come full circle.

Remember when this first started many cruisers posted pictures of the card that had a box to check for morning and a box to check for evening, but no indication anywhere that one could check both boxes?

....and it has been a very LARGE circle at that.  Carnival's official (I do not think they will change this) is morning, evening or both.  If a rogue cabin Steward offers less, and gives any flack all about picking both, a quick trip to GS solves the problem.  Why anyone would wait to post it here (IF it happened) and not address it at the time amazes me.  That said, it is has been consistently proved out here, is many people choose either or and not both.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My comment depends on the accuracy of my source inside Carnival. This same source also told me Carnival was going to start charging for all room service, which has not happened, so my source may not be reliable. 

Right at the first of the year John Heald announced that there would be a charge for all room service besides the morning continental breakfast.  There was a big backlash from that... and Carnival back tracked on that plan.  Your source was accurate that Carnival planned to make that change. 

7 minutes ago, Bevv said:

Right at the first of the year John Heald announced that there would be a charge for all room service besides the morning continental breakfast.  There was a big backlash from that... and Carnival back tracked on that plan.  Your source was accurate that Carnival planned to make that change. 

Backlash and temporary  backtrack haven't been all that uncommon, but the handwriting is on the wall.

Some read it and some adjust and readjust their blinders.

3 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Backlash and temporary  backtrack haven't been all that uncommon, but the handwriting is on the wall.

I also believe it is a temporary backtrack. 

19 minutes ago, Bevv said:

I also believe it is a temporary backtrack. 

The justification, already in evidence, will be "our guests preferred once a day."

It's a little difficult to note a preference for twice a day if it's not clearly offered as an option.

• Like 3

We just returned from our 7 day cruise on the Breeze. When our cabin steward introduced himself, he asked what we wanted.  I asked for both and he said it was not a problem.  We had another conversation with him later on and he did state that the number of cabins assigned to him has gradually increased from 20 to currently 31. 

1 hour ago, Bevv said:

the change that never happened?

21 minutes ago, morningstarme said:

We just returned from our 7 day cruise on the Breeze. When our cabin steward introduced himself, he asked what we wanted.  I asked for both and he said it was not a problem.  We had another conversation with him later on and he did state that the number of cabins assigned to him has gradually increased from 20 to currently 31. 

We have discussions with our room steward every cruise, most of time more than any other employee on the ship.  The vast number of these (and all Carnival) employees are genuinely nice people.  There is no doubt that Carnival has changed the workload of these individuals and others as well (dining staff as well comes to mind).  Frequently room stewards hire help from other employees to assist them in their duties (it is optional).  These people work hard and hours typically are split morning and evening , their busiest day by far is turnover day.

All of this of course plays into their interaction with their clients, that said, I have been no doubt that Carnival believe offering an option to their clients for cabin service is simply that, an option.  Many clients want flexibility ingesting their room serviced (as has been observed here and other threads) and in fact, really do want and prefer one a day service.  There are some that post they think is one of the "many" Carnival conspiracies that Carnival has to take things away from their clients and use John and other vehicles to test these toes what sticks.  When I read these, I get distinct reminder of Area 51, building 7, moon landing never happened and the list continues but gets weirder....  Maybe just maybe, an option is....an option, nothing more.  

15 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

There are several reasons why a person would want twice a day service.  They shower in the morning, steward comes and cleans in the morning and replaces towels.  People come back from the beach and take another shower.  Now they have no dry towels for their shower the next morning.  They may have tracked sand in the cabin from their shoes.  People may want ice twice a day.  It's nobody else's business why someone would want service twice a day.

We just got off of the Horizon.  Our steward had the form in his hand.  He pointed to it and asked which we wanted.  It clearly said Morning, Evening or Both.  We said both and he marked both and never batted an eye.  

Definitely 2 times a day!  For the reasons stated above.

MARAPRINCE

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

They may start charging for the second room servicing of the day.they are running low on things to charge extra for.

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2019 at 4:20 PM, BoDidly said:

You can't tell me nothing as I agree with what your saying. But the one time a day thingy is here. What Carnival started the Stewards will finish. Then it becomes mandatory.

We were on the Horizon in January. The cabin seward had a card which he filled out which says Morning.....Evening.....Both. The same card also allows you to ask for extras like pillows, robes, etc. We are going on the Sunshine  Sunday so will see if anything is different.

5 hours ago, morningstarme said:

I've heard this stated before. If true, is this really an issue? Would they not also get the tips from 31 cabins?