Are Viking Ocean cruises fun?

Jchivers

5 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Bring on the violins. The same man who chose to have just four buttons on the TV remote is choosing the exercise equipment for the ships. Just because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles does not mean that the machinery is old or bad or that you won't get a good workout while using it. 

I pay good money for my cruise.  I expect decent equipment in the gym.

7 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Bring on the violins. The same man who chose to have just four buttons on the TV remote is choosing the exercise equipment for the ships. Just because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles does not mean that the machinery is old or bad or that you won't get a good workout while using it. 

Right you are.  4 months onboard Sun last year and I used the gym equipment approximately 65 times.  Absolutely good quality and gave a good workout.  The result was I got home 1 lb lighter than when I boarded.....  If you need cartoons on your treadmill, go Disney.😎

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Right you are.  4 months onboard Sun last year and I used the gym equipment approximately 65 times.  Absolutely good quality and gave a good workout.  The result was I got home 1 lb lighter than when I boarded.....  If you need cartoons on your treadmill, go Disney.😎

I think that's a ridiculous statement.  Because I want working equipment that's unreasonable?  Disney has nothing to do with it.

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Jim, what equipment did you use that you liked so much?

Anticipatory adverse comments based on no VO experience whatever from those who have not sailed VO, and have still months and months to go before they do, are less than helpful to those genuinely seeking real information from past VO pax.   Perhaps "the wise old owl" would be an appropriate mantra?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rawmac said:

Anticipatory adverse comments based on no VO experience whatever from those who have not sailed VO, and have still months and months to go before they do, are less than helpful to those genuinely seeking real information from past VO pax.   Perhaps "the wise old owl" would be an appropriate mantra?

I'm sorry if you don't like the question I asked.  I have not been on VO.  I thought a good way to get answers would be to ask people who have been there.

Maybe it wasn't exactly a question, more a comment. Is criticism of Viking not allowed here?

Edited by zitsky

Criticism, good or bad,  of VO on this message board is invariably based on personal experience, not on imaginings or happenings from other cruises or cruise lines.  Like Jim Avery, I found the gym equipment on all my VO cruises quite sufficient and in perfectly good condition.  Perhaps I have missed it but I have not seen on here any adverse comment about the gym equipment installed in any of the VO ships.  I don't know how you, having not set foot in a VO gym or ship, can imply or infer that VO's equipment is not "decent" or suitable for your "good money". 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rawmac said:

Criticism, good or bad,  of VO on this message board is invariably based on personal experience, not on imaginings or happenings from other cruises or cruise lines.  Like Jim Avery, I found the gym equipment on all my VO cruises quite sufficient and in perfectly good condition.  Perhaps I have missed it but I have not seen on here any adverse comment about the gym equipment installed in any of the VO ships.  I don't know how you, having not set foot in a VO gym or ship, can imply or infer that VO's equipment is not "decent" or suitable for your "good money". 

Thank you for sharing that information.

If workout equipment on a VO ship is a few years old, that seems to be a statement of fact, not opinion (and a bit surprising to me, on a luxury cruise line).  Whether or not that fact influences one's decision to choose VO is, of course, up to the individual passenger.  

But the defensiveness shown here in the course of this discussion does seem to indicate that just maybe, any criticism of VO is not welcome here.

31 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Jeez-louise snowflakes, all you need to stay in shape on a cruise is a half hour of pullups, pushups, and situps every other day, and a six mile run ashore a couple of times a week.  Only wussies use machines.

Haha, Raggy, you couldn't run 6 miles if your buttocks were on fire and you were being chased by a heat seeking missile.  Remember, I know your knees conditions.  And the only "ups" of any type you do is glass lifts for vino or pints.  Hahaha,  my man..🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Jeez-louise snowflakes, all you need to stay in shape on a cruise is a half hour of pullups, pushups, and situps every other day, and a six mile run ashore a couple of times a week.  Only wussies use machines.

But how will I watch the Disney channel?  😕

18 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

Yeah! And some moldy hardtack for dinner! You didn’t expect to be *pampered* on your luxury cruise line, did you?

And thanks for getting this back to a little fun.  But if you think I don't criticize VO then you need to use the search function and read my (and many others) daily post of the Inaugural World Cruise.  Lots of harsh criticism in there....  Along with lots of great stuff too.  It just sort of chaps me when someone who has never set foot on a VO ship has pointed opinions of things they have no personal knowledge of.  Just FYI for those looking, the virtual tour on the VO website for the fitness area bares little resemblance to the space or equipment on Viking Sun.  I only know Viking Sun so maybe patterned on the earliest ship.  One question concerning your being surprised about the equipment not being changed out.  Do you belong to a gym, country club, etc. where they change all the gear annually?  I have belonged to health clubs/country clubs, etc. all my adult life and have not been fortunate enough to experience that refresh period.  5 to 10 year change out (plus any needed maintenance) seems to be the norm.  Ships usually change the equipment out at refit time.  I will post after August if there is any need for replacement on Viking Sun.  And one last thing for the Zitmeister, the recumbent bikes on Viking Sun have a screen that will show you news channels, sports, and other items available by satellite.  Sorry, no Disney Channel.  You can watch Fox News (or, to be fair, CNN).🍸🍹🍺Ok, one more thing then I promise I am done with the fitness center stuff.  A few weeks after leaving Viking Sun we sailed on Seabourn Sojourn in Alaska.  The fitness center on Sojourn was in every way far inferior to the one on Viking Sun.  As was the bar service, food, overall service and ambience on the ship.  This just for what it is worth.

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

42 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, Raggy, you couldn't run 6 miles if your buttocks were on fire and you were being chased by a heat seeking missile.  Remember, I know your knees conditions.  And the only "ups" of any type you do is glass lifts for vino or pints.  Hahaha,  my man..🍸

Haaruumph, I represent that remark!

Seeing as I’m a bit into my cups this eve, I will pontificate on what has made a cruise “bad”, when looking back:

- A ship with no “soul”.

- Smoking issues.

- Out of control children.

Though I’ve never been on VO, it seems they have the last two covered.  Can’t vouch for the soul part.  But knowing Jim, I can’t imagine him enjoying a ship with no soul.  

So, when possible, we will incorporate VO in our cruising plans.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Seeing as I’m a bit into my cups this eve, I will pontificate on what has made a cruise “bad”, when looking back:

- A ship with no “soul”.

- Smoking issues.

- Out of control children.

Though I’ve never been on VO, it seems they have the last two covered.  Can’t vouch for the soul part.  But knowing Jim, I can’t imagine him enjoying a ship with no soul.  

So, when possible, we will incorporate VO in our cruising plans.

August 31, Greenwich, England.  Be there.....  Or at least send Carol..🍺

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I must provide some input here regarding the gym. I always use a gym while cruising and do not need bells and whistles or channels. Not there for the News or Cartoons. Get the job done and leave.

However, I was disappointed in the size of the gym and the lack of equipment. I love the gym on Oceania, and expected similar.  

That along with service (training issues) were my biggest disappointments in VO. Aesthetically, the ship is one of my favorites and only needs a bit of fine tuning to make it perfect.

2 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I must provide some input here regarding the gym. I always use a gym while cruising and do not need bells and whistles or channels. Not there for the News or Cartoons. Get the job done and leave.

However, I was disappointed in the size of the gym and the lack of equipment. I love the gym on Oceania, and expected similar.  

That along with service (training issues) were my biggest disappointments in VO. Aesthetically, the ship is one of my favorites and only needs a bit of fine tuning to make it perfect.

Which ship Contessa?  Viking Sun (and all later ships) have an expanded fitness area and additional equipment.  Just curious.  I have never sailed O.  They let kids sail free.....😳

31 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Would love to, but we have an elderly “pony” to take care of.

Maybe when you guys do the full 2025 WC we will join you!

Haha, only if you bring Ho-Hum and Blondie.🍸

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Which ship Contessa?  Viking Sun (and all later ships) have an expanded fitness area and additional equipment.  Just curious.  I have never sailed O.  They let kids sail free.....😳

To be honest, VO has so many ships I cannot remember which one. It was British Isles cruise out of Greenwich to Bergen last Sept. The gym had two rooms, one for ellipticals etc and the other one for weights.

I don't typically cruise when the kiddies are around so have not seen that on O. However, the age demographic on O on longer cruises (which I typically take) are no Spring chickens 😉  The gym does not get much use and I love it. 

I took my 8 yr old Grandson on Disney two weeks ago. I love him dearly but it really pushes my limits. LOL!  VO does have that advantage.

1 hour ago, Jchivers said:

What cruises have out of control children?  I've never been on one (HAL, X, Princess).  In my experience, spotting a child has been like spotting an ivory-billed woodpecker.

We have 3 experiences, of which 2 were Princess & the other RCI.

Did a trans-canal from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver, with a stop in San Pedro. Between Ft Lauderdale & San Pedro we were some of the youngest pax, but after San Pedro we were almost the oldest. Hundreds is running & screaming little monsters everywhere. Even in the Sanctuary you could hear them.

Other others were Alaska cruises in June.