Voom packages- share?

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On some ships you no longer get a code. On Allure at Christmas if you had prepurchased a plan in order to set up your account you created your own log in and password as if you were buying a new package.  Your prepurchased package was listed as an option for you to select with a $0 cost.

Given that Allure is the most up to date ship with the app and it’s functions I would guess that this is a test and will in the future be the way all ships will handle internet access.  It will eliminate staff having to print and deliver sheets of paper with codes to staterooms.  

On Symphony with you last week, I had the letter with an access code in my stateroom.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:21 PM, Mrdell said:

Not sure how "tech savvy" you are, but if you bring a travel router you can share a single plan with multiple users at the same time by logging into your router after the router obtains the ships IP address.

Have you done this recently ,i am thinking of getting one before our trip .

3 hours ago, Saman said:

Have you done this recently ,i am thinking of getting one before our trip .

Yes... Amazon has them as low as $20.00.. the only thing is everyone sharing must be within distance of the router but it will definitely do the job. You just have to have a little knowledge on how to set it up and how to log in... really not too difficult. Good luck!!

1 minute ago, Mrdell said:

Yes... Amazon has them as low as $20.00.. the only thing is everyone sharing must be within distance of the router but it will definitely do the job. You just have to have a little knowledge on how to set it up and how to log in... really not too difficult. Good luck!!

Can it be set up before at home ?or does it have to be when onboard .My idea was to try and do it at home so not to have to spend to much time with it on cruise ,i program wifi repeaters at work so think i should be able to do it no problem , which make have you used ?

5 minutes ago, Saman said:

Can it be set up before at home ?or does it have to be when onboard .My idea was to try and do it at home so not to have to spend to much time with it on cruise ,i program wifi repeaters at work so think i should be able to do it no problem , which make have you used ?

The inside portion can be programmed at home, but the outside (connection to Royal) will have to be done onboard.

1 hour ago, Saman said:

If you program Wifi repeaters this thing should be a breeze for you. As Host Clarea mentioned..Do the initial set up at home .. You would probably want to set up it's repeater mode (WISP) to repeat the ship's Wifi. Once on board set it up to pick up the ship's signal and then you log into your router. I purchased the GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Mini Travel Router, Repeater Bridge, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM (Version 2) from Amazon. You will need to power it with a USB connection to a charger or a small portable battery pack works well if you are by the pool or away from your room. That should do it.... Good luck

On 3/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, hmmerr01 said:

Hello :)... can you share Voom packages (multi device purchases) across staterooms? For example... my mom is in another stateroom... can we purchase a three device package and let her be the third device? I'm not sure how this works.... thank you!

Yep!  I’ve done that.  The only limitation is that only that number of you can be in at one time 🙂

2 hours ago, Mrdell said:

If you program Wifi repeaters this thing should be a breeze for you. As Host Clarea mentioned..Do the initial set up at home .. You would probably want to set up it's repeater mode (WISP) to repeat the ship's Wifi. Once on board set it up to pick up the ship's signal and then you log into your router. I purchased the GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Mini Travel Router, Repeater Bridge, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM (Version 2) from Amazon. You will need to power it with a USB connection to a charger or a small portable battery pack works well if you are by the pool or away from your room. That should do it.... Good luck

what kind of range do you get?

14 hours ago, hmmerr01 said:

what kind of range do you get?

Range is very dependent on your surroundings but a safe guess is around 25-40 feet without any major issues

14 hours ago, hmmerr01 said:

and do you have an Amazon suggestion for a battery pack? thank you!!!

I have had good luck with Anker Products such as this.... Anker PowerCore 10000 Portable Charger …. but there are many others available on Amazon.  Just be sure that they output 5V @ 2.4A  … These battery portable chargers also come in handy to charge your portable electronics when you are away from hone.

19 hours ago, Mrdell said:

Thats a great help thankyou , i have managed to find that one i had previously been looking at the TL-WR902AC tp link . I have battery packs as i find them a must when travelling , also great to use at home if you have to go out and battery is low , i have 2 smaller ones and a rav power larger one that has always worked well .

3 minutes ago, Saman said:

Thats a great help thankyou , i have managed to find that one i had previously been looking at the TL-WR902AC tp link . I have battery packs as i find them a must when travelling , also great to use at home if you have to go out and battery is low , i have 2 smaller ones and a rav power larger one that has always worked well .

You are very welcome! Glad to help.... good luck and have a great cruise!!

2 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

Could you do this.  Connect to wifi using cell phone.  On cell phone, turn on hotspot.  Then everyone log into hotspot on cellphone

Most cell phone hotspots need a cellular data connection.

9 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Could you do this.  Connect to wifi using cell phone.  On cell phone, turn on hotspot.  Then everyone log into hotspot on cellphone

While a few phones might be able to hot spot a WiFi connection, it eats up the battery and is less efficient than a travel router.

I still don't see the benefit of a travel router.... but then, I'm not one to spend hours and hours in my room with other people all playing on their phones at the same time.  

I can see where it would be of benefit in a handful of circumstances, but in general, I agree. Its usefulness is limited.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:35 PM, ShillyShally said:

the second one to log on knocks off the first one logged on.

It depends on the ship.

On Grandeur, it happens like you say.  Other ships you have to explicitly log off other devices.

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

It depends on the ship.

On Grandeur, it happens like you say.  Other ships you have to explicitly log off other devices.

Yeah, in thinking back, DH and I only had one device each so we stayed logged on all week, my son though was switching between laptop and phone so he had to log off one to go back to the other.

Does remind me that for the most part I like to stay as disconnected as life allows so it's easier for me to only connect with my phone and not ever worry about bringing another device 🙂

Edited by ShillyShally

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, brillohead said:

I still don't see the benefit of a travel router.... but then, I'm not one to spend hours and hours in my room with other people all playing on their phones at the same time.  

A lot of people also like the security that comes with a travel router... not only does it allow you to share many devices with one Voom purchase saving you a few dollars, it gives you added protection from getting hacked on the Royal Caribbean wifi.

I need to be connected this trip due to unforeseen circumstances.  We have never had our devices turned on during all our past cruises.  I need to be able to receive text, messenger and phone calls.  Do I need basic Voom, or the Voom and Stream plan? 

1 hour ago, ArubaGal said:

I need to be connected this trip due to unforeseen circumstances.  We have never had our devices turned on during all our past cruises.  I need to be able to receive text, messenger and phone calls.  Do I need basic Voom, or the Voom and Stream plan? 

Basic Voom is all you need.

6 hours ago, ArubaGal said:

If you're going to want to make VOIP calls, you'll likely need Stream.  

Make sure you have your phone all set up for Internet text and phone before leaving home, and make sure you put the phone in Airplane Mode and then turn on Wi-Fi, in order to avoid cellular charges and to make sure any texts or phone calls are only made on Wi-Fi connections.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

Basic Voom is all you need.

So if I have the basic Voom package all I need to do when I get on the ship is turn off my cellular and turn on my Wi-Fi calling and then I can make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages?

4 minutes ago, carmenOH said:

So if I have the basic Voom package all I need to do when I get on the ship is turn off my cellular and turn on my Wi-Fi calling and then I can make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages?

Correct, as long as your phone, carrier, and software version support WiFi calling.