Svalbard, MS Spitsbergen Aug 17 2020

bobs1016

We were originally thinking 2022 or 2023, but with sale and friends wanting to go, we decided next year. Please let us know how the trip went, and how the weather was (clear, foggy, or rain/snow).

Bob

1 hour ago, bobs1016 said:

We were originally thinking 2022 or 2023, but with sale and friends wanting to go, we decided next year. Please let us know how the trip went, and how the weather was (clear, foggy, or rain/snow).

Bob

Most likely all the above weather. :) 

3 hours ago, mcpepe said:

Most likely all the above weather. 🙂

I just noticed you live near me, I now live in Westampton but used to live in Marlton behind the Walmart in Marlton Lees/Cambridge Park. We took a trip to Antarctica with Hurtigruten in Jan 2018 on the Fram. If you have any questions how things work with Hurtigruten, feel free to ask. Onboard, the crew are great and the naturalists are fantastic and top notch. In Antarctica, we had some naturalists that worked in Antarctica, even in the winter and they all gave talks about their experiences. Not sure how the naturalists will be in Svalbard. Food is delicious with good choices and fresh. Meat and fish each day and one day we had reindeer filet (delicious), another we had an outdoor barbeque with TBone steaks as well as other meats and fish. 

Edited by bobs1016
  • Like 1

Will definitely lets you know all about it when we’re back. Am hoping to go to Antarctica in 2023 for you 60th. We did the coastal cruise on Spitsbergen in 2017 and loved it. Am really looking forward to the expedition cruise. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 6:49 AM, peppajay said:

Will definitely lets you know all about it when we’re back. Am hoping to go to Antarctica in 2023 for you 60th. We did the coastal cruise on Spitsbergen in 2017 and loved it. Am really looking forward to the expedition cruise. 

We did the Fram in Antarctica in Jan 2018, it was terrific.

• 6 months later...

We had a brilliant time in August. We were unable to circumnavigate as there was still ice in the North East. Also missed out on a couple of other places due to the ice. Svalbard was fabulous. I would go again if I didn’t live in Australia. We did a kayaking excursion which was great and got up close to a glacier. 

We saw 5 polar bears, walrus, seals and whales, including a blue whale. And lots of birds. The weather was mixed, one rainy day, some light snow and fine weather, a bit of fog. The crew was great and we learnt loads about the area from going to the lectures. You will love it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 11:41 PM, peppajay said:

We had a brilliant time in August. We were unable to circumnavigate as there was still ice in the North East. Also missed out on a couple of other places due to the ice. Svalbard was fabulous. I would go again if I didn’t live in Australia. We did a kayaking excursion which was great and got up close to a glacier. 

We saw 5 polar bears, walrus, seals and whales, including a blue whale. And lots of birds. The weather was mixed, one rainy day, some light snow and fine weather, a bit of fog. The crew was great and we learnt loads about the area from going to the lectures. You will love it.

We had a great time as well.  I am jealous, we only saw one polar bear.  I would go again in a heart beat.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Everyone for your responses. We paid in full with airline tickets as well. We are also staying downtown Oslo for 2 nights, but meet our group the evening after the 2nd night for our flight to Spitsbergen. We hope to see bears and whales as well as the beautiful scenery. Only time will tell.