Carnival shareholder OBC

kanobette

I have both faxed and mailed the documentation for the OBC that is given to Carnival shareholders but haven’t received any confirmation in return.  What experience have you had?  Did you get a confirmation before embarking or not. 

Thanks

My experience with a US booking such as yours is that if I have booked directly with Cunard, I receive an email confirmation from Cunard including a booking confirmation pdf file attachment showing the shareholder OBC has been added to the booking. If I have booked through a cruise booking travel agent website, I do not receive any confirmation of the shareholder OBC from Cunard. Presumably the travel agent receives that confirmation.

My experience is that I have always posted my request to them, and have asked for a confirmation that they have given us the OBC by email. They have never confirmed, but the OBC has always been there when we have checked when we got on board.

If you can get a new copy of the booking from your travel agent, you will see the OBC. Updates of T/A booked travel go to the T/A and some time they forget to send it on.  If you booked direct with Cunard, give them a call and ask them to email you a new booking confirmation. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I book through a TA and have never received a confirmation from Cunard (I do with HAL, though). I've always had to contact the TA for confirmation and a revised paid invoice indication in on-board credit. 

Same here. I request an email confirmation but never get one. And I always take a print-out confirming the OBC because sometimes it doesn't show up. OTOH, HAL does confirm by email and the obc is always there.

• Like 1

We have sailed Cunard many times and have applied for the shareholder OBC many times.  Each time we ask for a confirmation from Cunard and we never receive it.  We always book through our TA, but he never receives a confirmation of the OBC either.  However, he is able to send us an electronic copy of our booking that shows the increase in the OBC and he is able to determine from the booking whether the shareholder OBC has been added.  There have been a couple of times that the Cunard staff have failed to process our request and we had to send it again.  There was one time that we had to hassle and hassle, even on board, to finally get our OBC.  Cunard's final response to this mess was, "That was not White Star service."  Indeed.  Note that we have not had these problems with other Carnival Corp. lines, Seabourn, HAL & Princess.  So the bottom line is work with your TA and keep on top of this.

39 minutes ago, tv24 said:

We have sailed Cunard many times and have applied for the shareholder OBC many times.  Each time we ask for a confirmation from Cunard and we never receive it.  We always book through our TA, but he never receives a confirmation of the OBC either.  However, he is able to send us an electronic copy of our booking that shows the increase in the OBC and he is able to determine from the booking whether the shareholder OBC has been added.  There have been a couple of times that the Cunard staff have failed to process our request and we had to send it again.  There was one time that we had to hassle and hassle, even on board, to finally get our OBC.  Cunard's final response to this mess was, "That was not White Star service."  Indeed.  Note that we have not had these problems with other Carnival Corp. lines, Seabourn, HAL & Princess.  So the bottom line is work with your TA and keep on top of this.

I have had the complete opposite experience from the UK office. I submit my proof and details of the voyage and I then receive a response back to confirm that the OBC credit has been applied to my booking and that an update booking confirmation has been sent to my email address (or travel agent's email, who then forwards it on). I wouldn't say they were particularly speedy in replying back to you, but its normally within a week.

This is the email they normally send, I guess its a template.

"Good Afternoon,

Your Shareholder Benefit has been applied, a revised Booking Confirmation that will show the added On Board Credit has been sent.

Please note if you have booked directly with us you will receive this via your personal email address or by post. Alternatively, if you have booked via a Travel Agent, you will need to refer to them for the revised Booking Confirmation.

Kind regards "

Edited by NavyPanda
  • Like 1

The procedure here in the UK 'unlike the USA' is so much easier.   Some years ago I was asked to send a 'copy' of my share certificate to Carnival House Southampton, where I understand it is kept on file ?

After I've paid the balance for the future cruise all I do is send an email with my booking details to the shares department at Carnival House asking them to apply the shares OBC, I'll also ask for a confirmation to my request which I immediately  receive by a return email,  in addition to that I receive a new booking confirmation from Cunard (pdf file) indicating the additional OBC has been applied. 

Edited to add;  Ah Thank you NavyPanda, just noticed you beat me to it.  Yes that's exactly the sort of confirmation I receive also .   

Edited by Bell Boy

I'm surprised that they keep your shareholder status on file since one could sell their shares at any time. I had assumed that's why they want an account statement after final payment to process the credit.

Edited by Underwatr

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

I'm surprised that they keep your shareholder status on file since one could sell their shares at any time. I had assumed that's why they want an account statement after final payment to process the credit.

P&O do  the same and all they do is check with Equiniti that the shares are still current and held by the named person then they apply the shareholder obc to your account very simple and quick unlike Princess when you cruise with them as a shareholder and applying for benefit. 

Edited by majortom10

9 hours ago, NavyPanda said:

I have had the complete opposite experience from the UK office. I submit my proof and details of the voyage and I then receive a response back to confirm that the OBC credit has been applied to my booking and that an update booking confirmation has been sent to my email address (or travel agent's email, who then forwards it on). I wouldn't say they were particularly speedy in replying back to you, but its normally within a week.

This is the email they normally send, I guess its a template.

"Good Afternoon,

Your Shareholder Benefit has been applied, a revised Booking Confirmation that will show the added On Board Credit has been sent.

Please note if you have booked directly with us you will receive this via your personal email address or by post. Alternatively, if you have booked via a Travel Agent, you will need to refer to them for the revised Booking Confirmation.

Kind regards "

NavyPanda:  Happy that you received such good service in the UK.  There may be a problem with one or 2 of the staff people in the Cunard office in California where the shareholder OBC requests are processed.  Our TA has complained about interactions with them.

14 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I just wish we could submit via email in the US, although I'm happy that I have a fax machine and it works well enough over my VOIP phone line. 

Fax is not popular in the UK and is outdated method of communications and doubt many in the UK possess a fax machine.

In the past I have submitted copies of my Brokerage Statement, with non Carnival information blacked out. That is a tedious task. In the U.S. there is not a central repository of share ownership, each brokerage firm make its own arrangements for bookkeeping.  This time I am going to keep a copy of my proxy vote (the upper identification part) not the voting part, and see if that suffices. I have to fax the items to Cunard, in California but I have an efax so I can scan it and send it from there. We will see if that suffices. 

Edited by Bigmike911

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Fax is not popular in the UK and is outdated method of communications and doubt many in the UK possess a fax machine.

As is true in the US, unfortunately. Luckily found an efax app with no base cost that charges by the page. I use it once or twice a year. Mostly for Cunard.

3 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

As is true in the US, unfortunately. Luckily found an efax app with no base cost that charges by the page. I use it once or twice a year. Mostly for Cunard.

Have never ever owned a fax machine or phone with fax facility and can honestly say have never sent a fax.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Have never ever owned a fax machine or phone with fax facility and can honestly say have never sent a fax.

Majortom:  Where were you last century?

When my monochrome laser printer died a few years ago I shopped for a replacement that was also a scanner & copier. I get a lot of use out of those functions, actually. The fax is a bonus and it came in handy when I had to settle my Dad's estate with the lawyer in Florida. 

My home phone is a Google Voice/VOIP line. Officially it doesn't support faxing but no issues. 

13 hours ago, tv24 said:

Majortom:  Where were you last century?

Wide awake and living life to the full but fax machines were never as popular in the UK as they obviously were in US especially for domestic use. We are now 19yrs into a new century and technology has moved on and fax machines should be assigned to the bin.

Edited by majortom10

On 3/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, majortom10 said:

Wide awake and living life to the full but fax machines were never as popular in the UK as they obviously were in US especially for domestic use. We are now 19yrs into a new century and technology has moved on and fax machines should be assigned to the bin.

I will go back to the original request, whenever I apply for my o.b.c  you have to e-mail the Southampton office requesting them, I also ask if they would confirm, this is answered promptly first class service, but one thing I can not understand with Carnival, why not have the same rules for each country they are in. This week I rang P&O (first time in 20 years) asking do they give o.b.c. for share holders and ex military service? the person I spoke to said yes, but it turned our be  less than Cunard give, strange,  I would have expected all share holders to get the same?🍷🥃

8 minutes ago, luckymal said:

the person I spoke to said yes, but it turned our be  less than Cunard give, strange,  I would have expected all share holders to get the same?🍷🥃

US brands define their benefit in USD, while UK brands define their benefit in Sterling (while continental European brands define it in Euros)  P&O's benefit is defined as £30/£60/£150 while Cunard's is defined as $50/$100/$250.

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Benefits defined here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Edited by Underwatr

16 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

US brands define their benefit in USD, while UK brands define their benefit in Sterling (while continental European brands define it in Euros)  P&O's benefit is defined as £30/£60/£150 while Cunard's is defined as $50/$100/$250.

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Benefits defined here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

At the exchange rate at the moment  $250,OO  =. £189.00.  Quite a difference to the £150.00 they give on British ships🍷🥃