Everything... Norwegian Joy's Westernization 2019!

39 minutes ago, donovanrs28 said:

56328697_2614635788563750_1541224691769802752_n.jpg

56580533_2063613973692953_3590879524616667136_n.jpg

56707533_2787950184556252_3380959136849068032_n.jpg

Shes going back into dry dock, in Seattle?

Wonder what they have to finish up in dry dock that they couldn’t do Singapore or at sea? 

Thanks for the photos. 

10 minutes ago, Corycor said:

Also, that has the ship in Alaska on the 29th not LA as some are saying are booked for? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wondered that as well! I assume this has to be right since it's employee facing, but who knows...

38 minutes ago, donovanrs28 said:

I wondered that as well! I assume this has to be right since it's employee facing, but who knows...

According to Norwegian's website a few minutes ago, the FIRST scheduled cruise to Alaska is Sunday 5 May.

There is by invitation only industry cruise on the 29th of April to Los Angeles.  I think there are a couple of things planned in LA and then back to Seattle for the 5th of May sailing.

1 hour ago, Corycor said:

Shes going back into dry dock, in Seattle?

Wonder what they have to finish up in dry dock that they couldn’t do Singapore or at sea? 

Thanks for the photos. 

most likely the stop at Seattle is needed to offload any construction material so that the ship can start looking like a ship before its first cruise with passengers 

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

According to Norwegian's website a few minutes ago, the FIRST scheduled cruise to Alaska is Sunday 5 May.

There is by invitation only industry cruise on the 29th of April to Los Angeles.  I think there are a couple of things planned in LA and then back to Seattle for the 5th of May sailing.

It's the 26th of April from Vancouver to LA. The dates in that image are wrong. 

I am considering a cruise on the Joy from LA, the one random 7 night it has from LA in transition before heading back through the canal. As you can see from my signature, I'm new to NCL, and this would be my first cruise.

Can someone explain to me why the ship is being Westernized, like why it wasn't successful in Asia? And, what are some of the new features that are going to be coming to the Joy as it transitions back to what I assume is the general focus of all new NCL ships and 'Westernized" vessels?

Thank you so much in advance, sorry for being the annoying newbie 😄

12 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

I am considering a cruise on the Joy from LA, the one random 7 night it has from LA in transition before heading back through the canal. As you can see from my signature, I'm new to NCL, and this would be my first cruise.

Can someone explain to me why the ship is being Westernized, like why it wasn't successful in Asia? And, what are some of the new features that are going to be coming to the Joy as it transitions back to what I assume is the general focus of all new NCL ships and 'Westernized" vessels?

Thank you so much in advance, sorry for being the annoying newbie 😄

There are a lot of theories and some articles out there about why NCL made the change. Theories range form port options, local governments, food consumption/waste of the local population, behavior of guests on board, etc. In terms of the features, many are based on Bliss with a few notable exceptions. Some restaurant differences, Bliss has solos, Joy has concierge, Bliss has a thermal suite, Joy has Galaxy Pavilion, among others. I will be on insta for the US Inaugural April 26-29th, feel free to follow @cruisebrett.

19 hours ago, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

Did anyone notice there are now 2 Starbucks on the deck plans? The one in the atrium on deck 6 as well as in the observation lounge on deck 15?!

More money $$ out of your pockets.... 🤑

6 hours ago, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

There are a lot of theories and some articles out there about why NCL made the change. Theories range form port options, local governments, food consumption/waste of the local population, behavior of guests on board, etc. In terms of the features, many are based on Bliss with a few notable exceptions. Some restaurant differences, Bliss has solos, Joy has concierge, Bliss has a thermal suite, Joy has Galaxy Pavilion, among others. I will be on insta for the US Inaugural April 26-29th, feel free to follow @cruisebrett.

I will also be aboard Joy for the June 1st sailing and am super excited. Just booked like a week ago! This thread is doing wonders in terms of hyping me up for the trip. Thanks to all involved!

I, too, am wondering about the specifics of why Joy was moved off of China/Asia after a bit of hype surrounded it being 'designed specifically for the Asian market'. I've heard rumors and seen videos of random people acting obnoxiously at buffets but never saw any specific info that was definitely linked to the Joy.

If anyone can link some real info about this, I'd love to read about it.

54 minutes ago, TheDougOut said:

Watch from 16:50 on...

I found that very interesting. Also lends a clue as to why they were replacing the carpet on such a new ship if people were spitting on the carpet. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Corycor said:

I found that very interesting. Also lends a clue as to why they were replacing the carpet on such a new ship if people were spitting on the carpet. 

I think they’re revamping a lot purely based on cultural preferences.  There’s certainly no need to re-tile the atrium, but they are... to mirror what’s on the Bliss.

The dude’s video is definitely entertaining, all the way down to the no-sex-on-the-balcony commentary.  

Edit:  I believe this is also the video we referenced during the Bliss build, for how restricted the karts were.  

Edited by TheDougOut

1 hour ago, TheDougOut said:

Watch from 16:50 on...

Thanks for that! That was very interesting, but it is still just like 2 minutes of commentary about rude passengers... It still doesn't satisfy my need to know why NCL pulled back from the China market so drastically. I feel that if it were just a matter of rudeness they would have stuck with it longer. Pulling out after less than a year seems more like a 'we are losing money on this' sort of scenario, you know?
Like, I'm hoping to find a fullly researched article about 'What Went Wrong In China For NCL'. Maybe the business model of selling tickets to get aboard relatively cheap in order to make their money by the passengers paying for premium services just doesn't work in China? Maybe no one ate at the specialty restaurants or booked excursions through the company?

I just want info!