Extended vs Back to Back Cruise

azdrydock

We booked a South America cruise (Buenos Aires to Santiago) for this December several months ago. Yesterday we asked our TA  to book the the previous segment (Rio to Buenos Aires) and she was told that Oceania does not allow booking consecutive or back to back cruises. The existing segment has to be cancelled and then we have to rebook as an "extended "cruise at current rates which is simply the sum of both segments with no discount. This means we loose some of the perks that we originally had. 

Two choices; bite the bullet and do it or add Rio to BA  to an Amazon River cruise on another line in late 2010.

Edited by azdrydock

seems odd that you would need to cancel  one segment

I see the 28 day Dec 7 Rio to Santiago

The Dec 7th   12 day

Dec 19   16 day

What  perks would you lose if you cancelled ?

56 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

We booked a South America cruise (Buenos Aires to Santiago) for this December several months ago. Yesterday we asked our TA  to book the the previous segment (Rio to Buenos Aires) and she was told that Oceania does not allow booking consecutive or back to back cruises. The existing segment has to be cancelled and then we have to rebook as an "extended "cruise at current rates which is simply the sum of both segments with no discount. This means we loose some of the perks that we originally had. 

Two choices; bite the bullet and do it or add Rio to BA  to an Amazon River cruise on another line in late 2010.

Multi-segment cruises advertised as "extended journeys" CANNOT be booked as a B2B, which is now called a "custom cruise." Thus, if you want to add a segment to another cruise, which would then equate to a published "extended journey," you would have to cancel the booked single segment and replace it with the official "extended journey." As always, rebooking would subject you to receiving the perks associated with the new booking (even if they are worse).

Both have a single booking number and their own set of incentives.

Both arrangements have discounted cabin prices and their own plusses/minuses. For example, "custom cruises" have an approx 5% discount on each segment but you can get two round trip air credits. Extended Journeys have a larger discount (dependent on itineraries) but only one round trip air credit. Depending on the length of the segments, there can also be a slight difference in the O Club cruise credits with the "Extended Journey" treated as a single cruise and the "custom cruise" treated as multiple cruises. 

Until this past week, only the "extended journey" could be registered in your online O account. Now the "custom cruises" can also be registered.

Bottom line: Always do the math.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

seems odd that you would need to cancel  one segment

I see the 28 day Dec 7 Rio to Santiago

The Dec 7th   12 day

Dec 19   16 day

What  perks would you lose if you cancelled ?

The Dec 19 has to be cancelled and you have to book the 28 Day Dec 7

There was an early booking O promo and the rates have gone up. TA is looking into how this changes their perks.

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I was just discussing this topic with an Oceania sales rep a couple days ago...

A number of posts here said that an "extended voyage" or B2B cruise only counts as one Oceania club cruise credit (not two as in booking two separate cruises).  She confirmed that was correct.  So I assume that is why it isn't 'allowed'.

There is no real pricing discount on doing a B2B, but there is some savings since it's charged as one way air for each cruise segment.  I would also assume that's why you need to cancel and rebook.  It wasn't enough of a deal for me to book the extended voyage though...

Just now, su-arizona said:

A number of posts here said that an "extended voyage" or B2B cruise only counts as one Oceania club cruise credit (not two as in booking two separate cruises).  She confirmed that was correct.  So I assume that is why it isn't 'allowed'.

It  depends on the length of the extended cruise

it is  a 28 day so should get 2 cruise  credits

same amount if they booked  B2B  

21 minutes ago, su-arizona said:

There is no real pricing discount on doing a B2B, but there is some savings since it's charged as one way air for each cruise segment.  I would also assume that's why you need to cancel and rebook.  It wasn't enough of a deal for me to book the extended voyage though...

WRONG!!!

The number of O credits depends on the length of the cruise(s). A long "extended journey" can get 1 or more credits. The "custom cruise" gets its credit(s) based on each segment. Depending on the itinerary (particularly longer ones), the total credits for the same total days either way may be equal. But, often, the right B2B combo with different segment lengths may get you an extra credit.

Again do the math and weight all the variable values, dollars or credits or whatever. Of course, if you want that "extended journey" itinerary, you won't have the option of B2B instead. 

On the O website, the O Club section cites how many days in a cruise (or segment) gets you how many credits.

As for the discount: if you book a B2B, the discount is approx 5% on each segment and you can get multiple RT air credits. If you book "extended journey," the discount is usually more - depending on the itinerary. But you only get one RT air credit.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Multi-segment cruises advertised as "extended journeys" CANNOT be booked as a B2B, which is now called a "custom cruise." Thus, if you want to add a segment to another cruise, which would then equate to a published "extended journey," you would have to cancel the booked single segment and replace it with the official "extended journey." As always, rebooking would subject you to receiving the perks associated with the new booking (even if they are worse).

Both have a single booking number and their own set of incentives.

Both arrangements have discounted cabin prices and their own plusses/minuses. For example, "custom cruises" have an approx 5% discount on each segment but you can get two round trip air credits. Extended Journeys have a larger discount (dependent on itineraries) but only one round trip air credit. Depending on the length of the segments, there can also be a slight difference in the O Club cruise credits with the "Extended Journey" treated as a single cruise and the "custom cruise" treated as multiple cruises. 

Until this past week, only the "extended journey" could be registered in your online O account. Now the "custom cruises" can also be registered.

Bottom line: Always do the math.

Extended Voyage price is simply the sum of the 2 segments, no discount... Don't use O's air. Last minute decision to add the Rio segment.

16 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

Extended Voyage price is simply the sum of the 2 segments, no discount... Don't use O's air. Last minute decision to add the Rio segment.

So wrong!!! I book both "extended journeys" and "custom B2B" often (e.g., 4 future "extended journeys" and 1 "custom B2B"' booked; just finished an "extended journey") Someone is giving you really bad info. 

I suggest that you compare the total cost of two segments of a published "extended journey" to the cost of the extended journey (at the same point in time). I have never seen it be the same total. 

Of course, if you're changing bookings, a difference in current vs past prices could produce the same cost in a "then vs now" comparison. But, that's a different situation.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

So wrong!!! I book both "extended journeys" and "custom B2B" often (e.g., 4 future "extended journeys" and 1 "custom B2B"' booked; just finished an "extended journey") Someone is giving you really bad info. 

I suggest that you compare the total cost of two segments of a published "extended journey" to the cost of the extended journey. I have never seen it be the same total. 

Just looked at the prices on O website, added both segments and the total is the same (actually $1 less) then the extended journey price

20 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

Just looked at the prices on O website, added both segments and the total is the same (actually $1 less) then the extended journey price

I just looked at the only two Dec 2019 S.A. cruises separately (Rio-BA and BA-Valpo) and as an "extended journey" (a.k.a "grand voyage" - Rio to Valpo [Santiago]). The difference in price for a B2 O Life w/air is about $1,200 cheaper for the "extended journey."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

Of course; you only have 2 air flights on the extended  journey and 4 air when you sum the cruise segments with free air.

Do the math

I don't have to do the math. You're the one who wants to do the two segments. And the only way it can be done is as an "extended journey." So, your math comparison using double air credit (B2B) is theoretical and not practical reality (since you can't book the trip as a B2B nor get the "4 air" credit).

Nonetheless, for anyone taking the included air tix, the discounted price remains $1200. 

Perhaps a better way to achieve additional savings is to press the TA for better commission sharing. On that approx $10k per person (B2 "O Life" "extended journey," I'd be looking (conservatively) for refundable SBC of $1,250+\- per cabin.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

You need a new TA. I booked an additional cruise on the back end of my Grand Voyage from Buenos Aires to Miami. No problem. 5% discount on the additional cruise. 

Think about it. Oceania won't let a customer extend their cruise? That makes no sense.

OP has a different situation. S/he is trying to add a segment to an existing segment, which would then create a "custom (combination) cruise." However, that combo is already a published "extended voyage" (aka "grand voyage" on the O website). O prohibits making combos that are already "extended voyages."

You are adding a segment to an existing "extended voyage." That, in essence, is creating a combination of two cruises NOT advertised as an "extended voyage" and you got 5% off the added segment

Had you created your custom cruise (extended voyage plus single segment cruise) when you initially deposited, you'd have gotten 5% off the entire combination.

You or your TA could look at rebooking depending on the math of current prices, perks, etc.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Hi Flatbush. Maybe I'm not understanding your explanation but here's what I did:

I booked the December 2019 Buenos Aires to Miami "Grand Voyage" about a year ago. I added Miami to Rio last month. It may not be considered a back-to-back or in this case back-to-back-to-back or an extended/custom Grand Voyage but Oceania, through the TA, had no problem adding the additional segment. It is considered a different reservation but I received a 5% discount on the additional segment and by chance the same cabin. 

Maybe I just need a third cup of coffee??? :classic_smile:

30 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Hi Flatbush. Maybe I'm not understanding your explanation but here's what I did:

I booked the December 2019 Buenos Aires to Miami "Grand Voyage" about a year ago. I added Miami to Rio last month. It may not be considered a back-to-back or in this case back-to-back-to-back or an extended/custom Grand Voyage but Oceania, through the TA, had no problem adding the additional segment. It is considered a different reservation but I received a 5% discount on the additional segment and by chance the same cabin. 

Maybe I just need a third cup of coffee??? :classic_smile:

You're probably fine as is. That original  "extended voyage" cost is probably higher now then a year ago and rebooking might not save you anything.

Even though you have basically now booked two separate cruises (which happen to be adjacent) with two separate booking numbers, your TA successfully championed getting the 5% off on the new addition without you having to rebook as a combination cruise with a single booking number. Hopefully, you opted for the air credit on both cruises (if the total would be more dollars than the airline change fees for your new return flight).

However, had their been cabin availability in your earlier "extended voyage" cruise, you could've rebooked the old and new cruise as a "combination cruise" with a single new booking number. The good news might then be that you would get 5% off the entire cost (plus RT air credit for both). The bad news might be that you'd be charged at the current pricing for both segments (less 5%) and get what the current O Life perks are instead of what you had. With popular itineraries (like "rounding Cape Horn") that could wipe out any "combination booking" savings.

Hence the need to do the math.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Yes, we saved a bucket of cash versus the "sold out" price now. Something like $1,300 pp if booked separately. We did take air credit.

Now going back to @azdrydock issue, this statement is what makes no sense to me:

"Yesterday we asked our TA  to book the the previous segment (Rio to Buenos Aires) and she was told that Oceania does not allow booking consecutive or back to back cruises."

There must be a financial incentive for the TA to tell azdrydock to cancel and rebook. 

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

17 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Yes, we saved a bucket of cash versus the "sold out" price now. Something like $1,300 pp if booked separately. We did take air credit.

Now going back to @azdrydock issue, this statement is what makes no sense to me:

"Yesterday we asked our TA  to book the the previous segment (Rio to Buenos Aires) and she was told that Oceania does not allow booking consecutive or back to back cruises."

There must be a financial incentive for the TA to tell azdrydock to cancel and rebook. 

Admittedly, some TAs don't fully understand the finer points of the "extended voyage" vs "combination cruises" distinction.

At the bottom line, the official policy is that multiple adjacent segments can be booked as a single "combination cruise" UNLESS that exact combination of segments is already advertised as an "extended voyage."

Back in 2016  we booked  a B2B  which was also a listed as a  GV  

we booked the segments a week or more apart 

we did not get the discount  but our TA was able to get 2 booking numbers

but I guess things  have changed now

If the OP can cancel without penalty  it pretty much works out the same price wise

except in their case they got an early booking bonus  witch they would lose $ on rebooking

I am stubborn so I would just stick to  the original booking or cancel & move to another cruise  ..that is me though😉

YMMV

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Back in 2016  we booked  a B2B  which was also a listed as a  GV  

we booked the segments a week or more apart 

we did not get the discount  but our TA was able to get 2 booking numbers

but I guess things  have changed now

Must be the case as we also did something similar for a Nov 2018 cruise (booked in 2016 or 2017).

We originally booked it as a 14 day cruise and later changed to two 7 day cruises with different booking numbers.

In our case changing to B2B worked out much better pricewise and for added benefits.

32 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Admittedly, some TAs don't fully understand the finer points of the "extended voyage" vs "combination cruises" distinction.

At the bottom line, the official policy is that multiple adjacent segments can be booked as a single "combination cruise" UNLESS that exact combination of segments is already advertised as an "extended voyage."

Correct... The TA told me I could not book separate segments or B to B when there is a published extended voyage for the new itinerary. 

Just now, azdrydock said:

Correct... The TA told me I could not book separate segments or B to B when there is a published extended voyage for the new itinerary. 

hopefully the TA  will push to keep  the lower price  when you booked 

but  who knows