Best Use of Baggage Valet in a Veranda Suite

rpfarris

So I signed up early for the Grand Mediterranean voyage this summer that is a B-B of five voyages: 3915 through 3919.  Since I signed up as soon as it was announced I also got free business class flights and free 'Baggage Valet' which means that a couple of weeks ahead of time someone will come pick up my baggage and sweep it away so that I will not need to see it again until I embark the Silver Shadow.  Because of all the Mediterranean ports (I've never been to any of them) I chose a Veranda Suite on the 9th deck this time so that I can take pictures off my balcony.  A couple minot details: I added another voyage - 3914 - because it goes to Casablanca and Tangier and also, I pass my 100th night on this grand voyage, so finally, free laundry.  BTW, I am a solo traveller.

Now, finally, my issue: In a Veranda Suite, I am well aware of how much space I have.  I have enough room to store two full size suitcases under my bed(s) and I can put my carry-on inside one of the full-size suitcases.  My closet will be pretty much full with the clothes in the standard business-class luggage load-out.  So it would not do much good to send along via Baggage Valet a trunk or another couple suitcases.  There is no place to put either the luggage nor the contents.

One way to take advantage of the 'free' Baggage Valet would be to send both of the full-size suitcases with the luggage forwarder and only travel with my carry-on and personal item.  I embark in Barcelona and I'm heading over there a week early and living out of a carry-on for a week would be touch-and-go.  It would also mean that most of my camera gear would have to be trusted with Baggage Valet.

Another way would be to send one full-size suitcase and an *empty* full-size suitcase with Baggage Valet and then travel with one full-size suitcase and a carry-on.  I think this is probably the most reasonable solution.  I'd have to figure out how to store the third suitcase, but that way I could send back an entire suitcase full of souvenirs with Baggage Valet at the end.

But those of you who have used Baggage Valet or another luggage forwarder let me know what worked for you.  (Particularly if you stay in a small suite like myself.  If you stay in an Owner's Suite you probably send trunks. 🙂 )

Congratulations on your victory of free laundry!  It only took us 11-years. 😆

And, sorry that I can’t help with the luggage questions.  We like to bring about 6 pieces and schlepp them all over the place wherever we go.  I call it my workout. 😳

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

Congratulations on your victory of free laundry!  It only took us 11-years. 😆

And, sorry that I can’t help with the luggage questions.  We like to bring about 6 pieces and schlepp them all over the place wherever we go.  I call it my workout. 😳

I had to fight to get my 3914 merged with the rest, otherwise I would have had to pay for laundry on 3914.  But my TA went back-and-forth with SS for a couple of weeks before they decided that I could be a single 58-day voyage.  Although, the last time I had dinner with the HD - I already had booked these voyages - and mentioned to him about the fight over laundry, he told me that it was not unheard of for people to come to him and tell him that they were getting close to 100 and were booked for another cruise soon and begged for free laundry and he gave it to them.  I probably shouldn't mention that because he reads this forum.

Six pieces?  Where do you put them?  You must stay in one of those giant cabins.  Or wait...do you put them on the couch?

How about sending the 2 large or xl suitcases that are not 100% full with the Valet & take a medium + your carry on with you to Barcelona with camera gear & the BCN clothing?  You can put the medium size case  inside the XL suitcase under the bed once you're on the ship & use this med. case for souvenirs & those things that seem to clone themselves during a trip so that they no longer fit in the original packing scheme.  Logistics can be so difficult.

26 minutes ago, rpfarris said:

Six pieces?  Where do you put them?  You must stay in one of those giant cabins.  Or wait...do you put them on the couch?

😆😆😆

Our luggage is like Russian matryoshka dolls... they each fit inside the other.

19 hours ago, nowornever said:

How about sending the 2 large or xl suitcases that are not 100% full with the Valet & take a medium + your carry on with you to Barcelona with camera gear & the BCN clothing?  You can put the medium size case  inside the XL suitcase under the bed once you're on the ship & use this med. case for souvenirs & those things that seem to clone themselves during a trip so that they no longer fit in the original packing scheme.  Logistics can be so difficult.

Yup, that's what I'm thinking.  I won't need all my camera gear in Barcelona, I wonder if I can trust the Valet with camera lenses?

Sorry this is no help to you but I absolutely cannot imagine why anyone would travel with so much stuff, no matter how long you are travelling for. What an utter pain to pack and unpack it and deal with it.

Free ship's laundry or no, (don't forget the free launderettes on board, I just rinse clothes out in my sink), a week's worth is plenty. No-one remembers or cares if you wear garments repeatedly, and a clever selection of separates allows for many different looks.

I travel solo and do it with just carry on - soooo much more relaxing - no worries about stuff getting damaged or lost.

So as I said, not much help to you but perhaps consider making life easier by taking less in the first place?

PS You can get two suitcases under each side of the bed if you need.

Edited by jollyjones

Have not used Silversea for a cruise  -  Yet.    That happens for me in April. And I would not take enough luggage to justify using Baggage Valet, so have not looked into that. 

However, I was of the impression that once unpacking has been completed, the empty suitcases are removed & stored elsewhere on the Shadow. At the end of the voyage/cruise, they are cleaned & returned by the butler.

When I read of passengers storing them under beds it makes me wonder if I have got it wrong?

Perhaps that's a service that used to happen & no longer does. ???

1 minute ago, Pearl131313 said:

However, I was of the impression that once unpacking has been completed, the empty suitcases are removed & stored elsewhere on the Shadow. At the end of the voyage/cruise, they are cleaned & returned by the butler.

When I read of passengers storing them under beds it makes me wonder if I have got it wrong?

Pearl, we were just on the Shadow last month.  All 6 of our pieces were kept in our veranda suite and 4 were out of sight (the other two were backpacks that we used extensively during our voyage).  The day before disembarkation, the butler retrieved them opened them for our packing.  The same thing happened in 2008 as well.

Stumblefoot.

Can't remember who my mis-informant was.  Perhaps they had used another line. 

I wish I could cruise like Jollyjones & only take cabin baggage, but for a 15 nighter that includes an evening dress etc, I find it impossible. On the other hand, do all your 6 pieces of luggage always arrive at the airport together? Its my worst nightmare that I have to board with only the clothes I am wearing. No fear of that happening to you..

My V suite  looks big enough for my 2 cases to be accommodated without being a tripping hazard.

Thanks for your speedy response.

1 hour ago, Pearl131313 said:

...do all your 6 pieces of luggage always arrive at the airport together?

Not always, but usually.  Since we are usually traveling before and after a voyage, it has never been an issue upon ship embarkation.

We typically travel with two large cases, one wardrobe, a carry-on, and two backpacks.  The wardrobe and carry-on fit inside the large cases and everything fits nicely under the bed, so you won’t have any trouble with your two large cases.

I totally understand what JollyJones recommends and understand why so many people enjoy traveling lightly.  We live in such a casual state and our work wear is very casual too, so we really just enjoy the opportunity to dress up when we travel and having a wide of variety of outfits to choose from. 

Yes, I know, we are oddballs. 🤪

• Like 1

No, Stumblefoot, I don't think you are an "oddball" at all.  Everyone has a different style & after a certain point in life, we are entitled to do whatever makes us comfortable & keeps us from whining a lot.....carry on only as Jolly does, steamer trunks a la the 30's, or somewhere in between (us.)  We need too much "stuff" to keep us alive so a carry on doesn't come close.  If I weighed our "stuff" (articles other than clothing),  it's probably more than the clothing.  Men's clothing & shoes take up way too much luggage space - not to mention closet space.  The longer the cruise, the more "stuff."  Vive la difference.   Pretty sure we will all look smashing !

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pearl131313 said:

Hi Pearl, I don't think you were misinformed, but rather there is a bit of both/and. The first option for storage will be under your bed, but then if there is overflow, I believe there is a storage closet the butlers use when necessary. In either case, your luggage will be out of sight and out of your way.

Enjoy! April is coming up soon!

13 hours ago, Unibok said:

Hi Pearl, I don't think you were misinformed, but rather there is a bit of both/and. The first option for storage will be under your bed, but then if there is overflow, I believe there is a storage closet the butlers use when necessary. In either case, your luggage will be out of sight and out of your way.

Enjoy! April is coming up soon!

Unibok. Thanks for your input and thanks also for your recent cruise in Asia postings. Loved reading them & all the pics.

April is indeed approaching. Thank goodness. If I had to wait longer I might buy even more 'gear' & then need yet another suitcase...  Never enough to need the Baggage Valet, though.

• Haha 1

All our sailings starting or ending in Capetown over the last twenty years have always included staying at the excellent Table Bay.Also every time the ship has been docked adjacent to the hotel whose staff deal with your luggage in both directions.Easily our most simple and efficient embark and disembark port we have found in the World.Capetown is also a beautiful city for pre or post cruise stay.

We take 6 suitcases:  2 large suitcases, 2 fold over wardrobe cases, and 2 carry on pieces plus 1 personal item each.  We estimate that our checked baggage is about 200 pounds.  To make my life even more complicated, I split the clothing among the 4 checked bags just in case one doesn’t make it.  The luggage all fits under the bed.

We also ask the butler to remove one of the chairs in the veranda suite to make more room.

I wish I could travel more like Jollyjones, but that will probably never happen.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you really wished it, (to travel light) you just have to make it happen. All it requires is careful planning and a very carefully curated cruise wardrobe. And a lightweight but capacious backpack and roll aboard.

I was wandering through MIA recently with time to kill before my flight and, passing a luggage scale, on a whim I placed all my luggage (backpack and roll aboard) on the scale - just under 30lbs.

Last November I did an eleven day Caribbean cruise followed by ten days in London, and this June I intend to do fourteen days on the Wind up to the Arctic Circle plus a couple of weeks in England, all just with said backpack and roll aboard.

• Like 1