soot and smells in act facing Royal.cabins?

seasprite

I have just booked cabin c743 on the Royal Princess and have been reading reports about soot and fumes in the rear facing cabins.  I have been wanting a wake cabin for ages but am concerned.  Most of the reviews are quite old (2013-14) and hopefully this issue has been fixed.  Has anyone been in one of these cabins on the Royal recently?  I was to be sure this is no longer a problem.  Thanks for your help!    Pam

2 hours ago, sterling2 said:

Just off Royal 49 day SA cruise. We were aft cabin deck 9. Soot still a major problem.

We are on deck 9 Royal in December cabin D729.  Which cabin did you have and  how

bad was the soot?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, jerwick said:

We are on deck 9 Royal in December cabin D729.  Which cabin did you have and  how

bad was the soot?

Thanks

We were in D730. 50% of the time the balcony was unusable. Our cabin steward told us it was supposed to be taken care of in the recent dry dock but clearly it hasn’t been fixed. Steward made a valiant effort to keep it clean but there’s only so much he could do. 

19 minutes ago, sterling2 said:

We were in D730. 50% of the time the balcony was unusable. Our cabin steward told us it was supposed to be taken care of in the recent dry dock but clearly it hasn’t been fixed. Steward made a valiant effort to keep it clean but there’s only so much he could do. 

Wow - that is really bad that far down in decks too.  You'd think it might still be bad on the higher decks, but all the way down on Deck 9?  :classic_blink:  OP - I suggest you aim for the forward-facing mini-suites on the Lido or Marina Deck.  You'll get a bigger balcony and probably just a little more pitching than you'd get in the very aft of the ship.

1 hour ago, sterling2 said:

We had a similar but worse, since the balcony was unusable, experience with cabin D727 in December 2013.  It is distressing that more than 5 years later it is still a problem.

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We had a similar but worse, since the balcony was unusable, experience with cabin D727 in December 2013.  It is distressing that more than 5 years later it is still a problem.

We were on the Royal in aft corner suite D726 for almost a month in late 2017.

This was after the scrubbers were added to the funnels.

Our balcony was unusable 90% of the time.

Yes it is still an issue.

• Like 1

It is so disappointing that Princess hasn’t corrected this issue.  I never hear about problems on the Majestic.  Maybe they fixed it?  Or maybe I missed those posts.  

I certainly hope it is fixed on the Sky.  My folks and are are sailing in one of the Sky Suites......maybe they won’t have a problem since it is not an aft suite.

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

Do they have the same issues with Regal?

We have not sailed in an aft cabin on the Regal but I thought there have been CC posts indicating that the Regal has the same issues.

I think there were some photos posted as well from one of the 2 ships.

6 minutes ago, spingal said:

It is so disappointing that Princess hasn’t corrected this issue.  I never hear about problems on the Majestic.  Maybe they fixed it?  Or maybe I missed those posts.  

I certainly hope it is fixed on the Sky.  My folks and are are sailing in one of the Sky Suites......maybe they won’t have a problem since it is not an aft suite.

Are those Sky suites forward and well forward of the funnel?

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We have not sailed in an aft cabin on the Regal but I thought there have been CC posts indicating that the Regal has the same issues.

I think there were some photos posted as well from one of the 2 ships.

Much appreciated! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

Do they have the same issues with Regal?

Yes.  In February we were in M727(15th Floor), soot was still a problem.  I wouldn't say the balcony was 90% unusable, you just had to be careful when not in use.  We usually had towels on the chair, and when not in use, folded the back down to keep the seats covered.   They now have a mat inside the balcony door to wipe your feet on.  The problem usually happens at night.  I agree with sterling2, these cabins are sold as "Premium Deluxe Balconies", maybe the soot is an added amenity.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, KreinKrunker said:

Yes.  In February we were in M727(15th Floor), soot was still a problem.  I wouldn't say the balcony was 90% unusable, you just had to be careful when not in use.  We usually had towels on the chair, and when not in use, folded the back down to keep the seats covered.   They now have a mat inside the balcony door to wipe your feet on.  The problem usually happens at night.  I agree with sterling2, these cabins are sold as "Premium Deluxe Balconies", maybe the soot is an added amenity.😁

Thank you! I'll report on the Enchanted Baja aft in November 2020. 

Hoping that "added amenity" isn't there 😉

We were recently on the Majestic Princess and also had a problem with soot. We were in the aft corner suite M723 and had soot on the balcony floor, on the furniture and even floating around us at times. We made sure that we put pool towels down on any chairs we used and tried not to wear and of our nice clothes out there. On the plus side we didn't notice any fumes and the view was wonderful.

Wow!!  Thank you all for your thorough answers.  We are definitely going to change our cabin selection.  I thought about the mini suites in the bow but sorry that the wind would make it too cold to sit there in May for a northern Ca., Oregon, Washington, and Canada cruise.  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks... Pam