Port shopping in Alaska

rmurray847

We'll be in Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan on our upcoming cruise on the Bliss.  First time in Alaska.  We're all set with excursions, and feel we're pretty well prepared.  But in each port, we have a couple hours free (for eating, beer & shopping).  Whenever we cruise, we like to find "Local, handmade" crafts.  I know these ports will be crawling with mass-produced stuff and items important from China.  We fully expect that.  But usually, somewhere in the craziness, there are local items to keep an eye out for.  Wood-carvings, jewelry, baskets, etc. etc.  Those of you who've been before...what kinds of "unique to Alaska BY Alaskans" stuff should we be keeping an eye out for?  (And if it matters, which port?)  I appreciate the help in advance.

You will find Alaskain made items in all the ports, from totem poles, hand carved wildlife/sea life to jewelry. Look for the made in Alaska tag. If not sure ask. We bought some beautiful wildlife reprints from a local artist the last time in Ketchikan. If your going to Sitka you will find lots of Russian made items also. You will definitely find something you like.

23 minutes ago, Littlesnowflake said:

We're going on our first trip to Alaska too in May and trying to find something good in Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point.  What are you doing in Ketchikan?  Appreciate some suggestions.

We have booked an excursion to Misty Fjords (sea plane and boat).  It's about a 3.5 hour tour.

Edited by rmurray847
typos

We bought Ulu knives and cutting boards for ourselves and two grown kids.  I use mine multiple times a week.  When I came back on board with 3 of them (obviously in their original boxes) I had to promise security to lock them in my empty suitcase.  They are very sharp but I guess they didn't want to be hassled with confiscating and then returning them to lots of passengers.

Thanks to everyone for the info.  Lots of wood!  (And we never shop where the cruise ships tell us...almost the opposite.)  Cheap souvenirs have their place (thank you gift to someone for watering our lawn, for example).  But my wife and I like to have some authentic mementos.

Something I've bought several times that make great gifts for my buddies are pocket ulu knives.  You can find the really cheap Chinese versions for about $5 at most of the big gift shops.  But I've found some that I keep going back to - I've seen and bought them in a few different better shops in Ketchikan, Anchorage and Juneau.  They are Alaska made Bob Merry pocket ulus.  They are all alike in size and design but have various types of handle material and plain or Damascus blades.  They are unusual looking and they are good for skinning.  The least expensive have "Dymond Wood" (a synthetic but looks nice) for about $50 or more exotic like moose antler, walrus jawbone or mammoth ivory that can get on up to a couple hundred dollars.  If you're doing any flying they will need to go in your check bag - I've never had an issue bringing them back on board the ship.  They are very cool knives.

Pocket Ulu.png

Pocke Ulu2.jpg

Pocket Ulu3.jpg

Edited by SuperCrewBear

If you walk inland a couple blocks in Ketchikan, you’ll find a little bookstore with unique Alaskan items, and there’s also a gift shop we found off the main drag (key word is “off”) that sold items made in Alaska. We bought some, and they’re displayed in our house still! 

52 minutes ago, blondie59 said:

ClaireyBear, do you or anyone else know the names of these shops? Sounds just like what I'm looking for (and husband is not big on wandering around while shopping).  Thanks!

The bookstore is called Parnassus Books, I’ll keep looking for the name of the other shop. 

Mt Juneau Trading Post,  they have a great website too if you want to get a look at what they sell. Quite a few nice little shops on Creek street in Ketchikan , another vote for Soho, and also Scanlon art gallery.  Over the years,  have splurged for Boyd Porter knives sold at Alaska Galleries in Ketchikan.