Anchorage to Seward transfers?

lem_100

We’re travelling to Alaska and flying out a few days early to do an independent tour of the Anchorage area before we join Muse.

Does Silversea include a transfer to Seward on the first cruise day, if you have not booked flights with them, or would we need to book this independently?

Thanks for any info.

If you haven’t booked SS Air, then you can either pay SS for a transfer or do the same with another company.  

We have always found independent arrangements to be not only cheaper, but faster as well.  For example, last month in Singapore we exited the ship in the last group and found a taxi for transport.  Not only were passengers who had disembarked 90-minutes before us still in the terminal awaiting bus or van transport, those passengers had paid between $59 - $79 for their transfer depending on location, whereas our cost was $15.

1 hour ago, lem_100 said:

We’re travelling to Alaska and flying out a few days early to do an independent tour of the Anchorage area before we join Muse.  Does Silversea include a transfer to Seward on the first cruise day, if you have not booked flights with them, or would we need to book this independently?  Thanks for any info.

Welcome to lem_100 in doing your first post here on the Cruise Critic boards. As always, Stumblefoot displayed excellent sharing of very helpful and on-point information.   From our sailing experiences, YES, there are trade-offs for ship transfers versus making your own private arrangements.  Many pro/con factors involved.  My understanding is that this route is very scenic, but totals about two and a half hours to cover the 127 miles in distance.  It's not like grabbing a cab for a short ride in a major urban area in order to reach the ship.  

In late July, for our first time, we will be seeing Jasper/Banff, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then boarding the Silver Muse for our sailing up to Alaska.  Then through Silversea, we will have a Denali excursion over five days and four nights.

Let us know any added questions.  Don't be shy!!  Which Silver Muse sailing will you be using?  First time with Silversea?  Tell us more!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For our latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Thanks for the responses and the welcome to a first time poster (long time lurker).

I confirmed with SS today that the transfer is included.  Apparently, they organise coaches from Anchorage to Seward.

Looking forward to meeting anyone travelling on 27th May.

13 minutes ago, lem_100 said:

Thanks for the responses and the welcome to a first time poster (long time lurker).  I confirmed with SS today that the transfer is included.  Apparently, they organise coaches from Anchorage to Seward.  Looking forward to meeting anyone travelling on 27th May.

Appreciate your follow-up and these added details.  Glad you have shifted from being a "lurker" to doing posts.  See!!  No pain, but lots of gain. Right?   Keep asking good questions and sharing more.  Since you will be on the Silver Muse a couple months prior to our cruise, I hope you do either some live posts during your sailing and/or post a post-cruise summary with your highlights, best loves, key tips, etc.  Let us know any other questions or info needs. Happy to share more.  Plus, others on these boards are great at providing their smart and keen insights. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,422 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

29 minutes ago, lem_100 said:

Hi lem_100,

My daughter and I will be on that sailing with you. We have a small roll call started, and almost enough CCers for a Meet & Mingle. Come on over to the roll call and sign up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unibok said:

My daughter and I will be on that sailing with you. We have a small roll call started, and almost enough CCers for a Meet & Mingle. Come on over to the roll call and sign up!

For Unibok and others doing earlier Silver Muse sailing in Alaska, we hope you will share your experiences to benefit those doing later sailings.   Love to learn more as to your key tips, secrets and suggestions to aid us in maximizing the fun on the Silver Muse.  

Tomorrow, March 27, will mark our "magic time" when we will be only 120 days from when we do our sail-away from Vancouver in going north for the first time up to Alaska.  Will be able to make dinner and excursion reservations starting tomorrow.  Have already made some private arrangements for a couple of the ports.  This includes at Juneau for the "Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane" through WingsAirways.com.  The owner of this operation is originally from Central Ohio and it is good to have a "connection" with her.  Holly has been very helpful with many tips and insights for these various parts of Alaska.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 26,357 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

17 hours ago, lem_100 said:

Thanks for the responses and the welcome to a first time poster (long time lurker).

I confirmed with SS today that the transfer is included.  Apparently, they organise coaches from Anchorage to Seward.

So Silversea doesn't use the Alaskan Railroad train anymore?

11 minutes ago, nfcu said:

That's a shame if true. We did the train independently from Seward-Anchorage a few years back, after an Alaska cruise on another line. We disembarked in the morning, rented a car from Hertz (they picked us up from the terminal and drove us a few blocks to their location), and went to a few spots on the peninsula for scenery and hiking. When we dropped off the car, they drove us to the train as an added bonus.

The ride north in the endless evening light was just gorgeous.

We have also done a coach transfer from Anchorage to Whittier. The train is way better, IMO. I wonder if the timing doesn't work any more? 

20 minutes ago, nfcu said:

Appreciate the great follow-up from Daveywavey70 as to how BOTH of us will try to do some sharing here on the Cruise Critic boards as to our Silversea sailings along the Alaska and western Canada coasts, etc.  Just four months till our sail-away!!!  Last night, a day early, I was able to log-on to the My Silversea website and make our dinner/excursion reservations.  Got that done!!!

As to the SS use of the Alaskan Railroad question, we are doing the ship's post-cruise Denali excursion and a portion of that adventure will involve a train trip.  On the fourth day after being at Denali, we will transfer "to the rail depot and board the Alaska Railroad (Deluxe Dome Railcar Service) for the scenic ride to Talkeetna".   Going up to Denali from when we get off of the cruise at Seward, will be done by coach/bus. Does this help to update as to the rail connections and aspects in Alaska?

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 210,158 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139  

42 minutes ago, nfcu said:

My understanding, from my recently departed SS rep, is that the Muse is too big for all pax to fit on the SS car(s) of the train, so they are providing a coach as part of the included package. He indicated that there would be an option to upgrade to the Alaska Rail, which (I think) we did. I have a long list of questions for my new guy when I return States-side next week.

So the problem isn’t timing, but capacity. If I learn otherwise, I’ll post it here.

14 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We are doing the same cruise as Terry in Ohio, but in 2020. Please may I ask you all - is it possible for you to photograph some of the daily programmes and upload them, so we can see what sort of activities and timings will be available to us - thank you if you can?

YES!!  Second the comment from Unibok for "Will do".  I always keep ALL of the daily schedules and will be happy to share more.  As to "activities" on this Alaska sailing, I sense that things will be "busy, busy"!!!   With the four different port stops/day, the number of options in each one are extensive.  Then, there are the long days and scenic sailings, etc.  

Much, much to consider and do, both during this cruise and for the pre- and post-cruise periods.  Looking forward to exploring these areas and comparing Alaska with the fjords we have seen in Norway, plus the dramatic sights experienced in New Zealand, Vietnam, etc.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 45,297 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

On 3/27/2019 at 9:19 AM, Unibok said:

My understanding, from my recently departed SS rep, is that the Muse is too big for all pax to fit on the SS car(s) of the train, so they are providing a coach as part of the included package. He indicated that there would be an option to upgrade to the Alaska Rail, which (I think) we did. I have a long list of questions for my new guy when I return States-side next week.   So the problem isn’t timing, but capacity. If I learn otherwise, I’ll post it here.

Great above background from Unibok!!  Sounds reasonable and understandable that the train capacity could or would be limited and a factor.  Now through "My Silversea", no options show for doing a rail option upgrade going from Seward to Anchorage.  It is also possible that the rail cost and/or schedule timings changed to make a coach transfer more practical/feasible.  

Do look forward to Unibok gaining any other added insights, info from your key "guy".  It is good to get any added "intelligence" in order to prepare for this upcoming "adventure".  As of this morning, only 118 days till we do our sail-away from Vancouver.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,334 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

On 3/29/2019 at 10:42 AM, Stumblefoot said:

Unibok, I love your travel schedule this year!  It's as if you're on a sabbatical which sounds so dreamy.

Ha, Brian, you guessed it -- I am on sabbatical, and it is dreamy. Actually, I'm actively seeking ways to make this a more permanent life change, since retirement is still too far away. But for now, I'm savoring the magical life I've been able to lead over the past few months. 

15 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Do look forward to Unibok gaining any other added insights, info from your key "guy".  It is good to get any added "intelligence" in order to prepare for this upcoming "adventure".  As of this morning, only 118 days till we do our sail-away from Vancouver.  

Look for a post from me towards the end of next week, Terry, after I get back to North America. Only 58 days to go before boarding the Muse, and 54 days before flying out to Alaska!!!!

8 hours ago, Unibok said:

Look for a post from me towards the end of next week, Terry, after I get back to North America. Only 58 days to go before boarding the Muse, and 54 days before flying out to Alaska!!!!

Appreciate your very good follow-up and focused attention to these "details".  You are busy with your current and upcoming travels.  Look forward to learning more. 

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 244,960 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On 3/29/2019 at 11:16 PM, Unibok said:

Ha, Brian, you guessed it -- I am on sabbatical, and it is dreamy. Actually, I'm actively seeking ways to make this a more permanent life change, since retirement is still too far away. But for now, I'm savoring the magical life I've been able to lead over the past few months. 

Love it!  And, lucky you.  Very happy for you. 

Hope that our paths cross someday so that we can compare notes on living the sabbatical life.  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 3:07 PM, lem_100 said:

We’re travelling to Alaska and flying out a few days early to do an independent tour of the Anchorage area before we join Muse.

Does Silversea include a transfer to Seward on the first cruise day, if you have not booked flights with them, or would we need to book this independently?

Thanks for any info.

Hi lem_100, Terry, and all,

Following up on the OP's initial question, I have a bit more information now. The scenic train does appear to be part of the package for (some of) those using the SS air option, and my new rep confirmed that we do have seats on it. He tells me it leaves Anchorage around noon, arriving in Seward around 5, so toward the end of the embarkation period. Because we arrive in Anchorage quite late the night before, I'm actually grateful for the slow morning to explore a bit, but it feels odd to arrive to the ship so late -- I'm usually one of the first onboard.

If you want to make your own railway arrangements, there is a 6:45 train in the morning from Anchorage that gets you to Seward around 11:00. You could probably walk right on to the Muse at that point. Tickets look to be $98/seat. www.alaskarailroad.com.

It would be worth looking into the timing and pricing of the SS coach/bus, I think. You might contact your TA or SS rep. It does seem like there are plenty of good options, with quite different timings. Let us know what they say!

Edited by Unibok

2 hours ago, Unibok said:

Hi lem_100, Terry, and all,  Following up on the OP's initial question, I have a bit more information now. The scenic train does appear to be part of the package for (some of) those using the SS air option, and my new rep confirmed that we do have seats on it.

Appreciate this informative follow-up.   Since our July 25 cruise is from Vancouver to Steward, we do not have the same logistics as you do.  After our docking in Steward on Aug. 1, Silversea will take us to the Alyeska Resort, Girdwood, Alaska.  Then, the following day, we go up to Denali for two nights there.   Coming back, we will have the Alaska Railroad's Deluxe Dome Railcar Service going from Denali to Talkeetna.   Yes, we will get a train ride, but in a different order. And, as a part of a higher-price ship package.  But, it all should be "FUN"!!

Keep up the great sharing, good questions, etc. 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 44,783 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

15 hours ago, Unibok said:

Hi lem_100, Terry, and all,

Following up on the OP's initial question, I have a bit more information now. The scenic train does appear to be part of the package for (some of) those using the SS air option, and my new rep confirmed that we do have seats on it. He tells me it leaves Anchorage around noon, arriving in Seward around 5, so toward the end of the embarkation period. Because we arrive in Anchorage quite late the night before, I'm actually grateful for the slow morning to explore a bit, but it feels odd to arrive to the ship so late -- I'm usually one of the first onboard.

Thanks Unibok.

It seems SS are using multiple transport options as I had documentation through yesterday confirming our transfers by coach and saying to check in with the SS rep at the Anchorage hotel in the morning.  I’m sure it’ll all become clear once we get there.