Escape cagneys shrimp cocktail upcharge

gizfish

2 hours ago, DZcreature said:

If you already paid extra for "specialty" dining, something as basic as shrimp cocktail should absolutely be included. This fee is ridiculous. Could be the last straw that makes people bail on NCL and go on other lines that have fewer additional fees. 

I'm already booked on Virgin (which is actually all-inclusive including wifi, gratuities and all dining, minus booze), for 2020. I do have these two pesky CruiseNext certificates hanging around, which would incidentally get me to platinum status on NCL, but it's looking like they might be headed to ebay.

(No matter what anyone's 'last straw' is, someone else will make fun of it, so don't bother with the 'you'd quit NCL over shrimp?' rhetoric.) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

IMHO this shows the lack of quality ingredients NCL uses if shrimp gets the upcharge.  You cant fake shrimp. It is what it is.  Its also not that expensive.  In my grocery store I can get fresh 20 shrimp for $10.  When it goes on sale, can get 20 for $7.  With gratuity/service fee, NCL charges $2 per shrimp in addition to a cover charge you already paid that INCLUDED an appetizer.  LMAO

Its just funny.  Its no longer a hat trick of fees but a quadruple flip jump on the ice.

NCL charges auto gratuities for its meals...

NCL sells or upcharges guests for specialty restaurants...

NCL then charges a service fee on the cover charge for specialty restaurant

NCL then charges extra for appetizers on the meal plan you paid for including gratuities, service charge, and appetizer. 

What is next?  Charging for ice?  Salt and pepper?

Agree, NCL take note your passengers are not pleased!

This is so, so cheap!  For years I avoided NCL due to the bad reviews of POA and talk of constant up-charges.  I finally book w/ them and they start charging for shrimp cocktail?  Tacky!!!! I've taken a screenshot of the terms and conditions and will print and take w/ me.  If I'm presented w/ a bill for shrimp cocktail, which I will order, I'll pull out my printout and politely ask the waiter to explain.  And for those questioning the shrimp cocktail order...it is what you do at a steakhouse.  I'm an adventurous eater, but at a steakhouse I go w/ shrimp cocktail, wedge salad, steak, baked potato, and veg.  The current menu doesn't show oysters, so there you go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Isn’t shrimp cocktail served complimentary in the MDR? I remember it was...or maybe I’m thinking of Royal and Carnival? But then again, those lines also serve complimentary unlimited lobster tail and prime rib side by side...

carnival does have it in the MDR every night or so

22 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Isn’t shrimp cocktail served complimentary in the MDR? I remember it was...or maybe I’m thinking of Royal and Carnival? But then again, those lines also serve complimentary unlimited lobster tail and prime rib side by side...

I have yet to go on my first NCL Cruise, but I’ve been able to get shrimp on both Carnival and Royal without any kind of upgraded dining or upcharge. On Royal, I was able to get shrimp pretty much any time, anywhere. I don’t remember whether or not Carnival had it in the buffet, but they definitely had it in the main dining room. 

13 minutes ago, edspec said:

This is so, so cheap!  For years I avoided NCL due to the bad reviews of POA and talk of constant up-charges.  I finally book w/ them and they start charging for shrimp cocktail?  Tacky!!!! I've taken a screenshot of the terms and conditions and will print and take w/ me.  If I'm presented w/ a bill for shrimp cocktail, which I will order, I'll pull out my printout and politely ask the waiter to explain.  And for those questioning the shrimp cocktail order...it is what you do at a steakhouse.  I'm an adventurous eater, but at a steakhouse I go w/ shrimp cocktail, wedge salad, steak, baked potato, and veg.  The current menu doesn't show oysters, so there you go.

I think you nailed it with two magic words: tacky and cheap. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trex-de said:

I’m platinum and really don’t know what to think about what is going on here. Shrimp = more money. Crab cakes don’t.  

Nah, this has nothing to do with cost increases. Just like the ridiculous recent increases to Vibe, go karts, and the failed attempts to raise drink prices to $19.95, and the recent increases to the daily gratuities. Corporate costs to service your rooms, operate a go kart, rent a padded lounge chair, and pour a cocktail aren't increasing. This is a deliberate and conscious attempt by a very greedy corporation to gouge the customer base and nickel and dime them for EVERYTHING once they get onboard....nothing more, nothing less. They obviously couldn't care less about what the customer thinks and the business model is soak the customer at every turn, on every day, on every deck. Nothing will escape their ridiculous fees  Instead of increasing revenue by providing a solid onboard experience thus creating repeat business, they stop at nothing to create an additional dollar of revenue. The success or failure of the model is based on gross revenues. Just look at how terrible their customer service is.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, shof515 said:

In fairness to NCL, the jumbo shrimp served at Cagneys is of better quality than what you would get in the main dining rooms of carnival or royal or in the garden cafe on NCL. Certainly not worth a $4.99 plus industry leading 20% service charge though.

Just now, blcruising said:

In fairness to NCL, the jumbo shrimp served at Cagneys is of better quality than what you would get in the main dining rooms of carnival or royal or in the garden cafe on NCL. Certainly not worth a $4.99 plus industry leading 20% service charge though.

To be fair, bigger does not mean better. It’s all about the feeling and taste in your mouth, not the size. 

9 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

So interesting.....I can get my Crab Cake (list price $9) with the SDP, but DH has to pay an additional $4.99 for his 'cheaper' $8 Shrimp Cocktail?   

Can you ask to see the size of the shrimp first?

You can vacation however you want, but if you asked *me* to see the size of my shrimp first, I’d probably demand an upcharge! 😉

• Haha 1

I wonder where the NCL cruisecritic member (Norwegian Cruise Line) has been? They come on here from time to time in an attempt to control damage and sell some story about how they strive to add value and how deeply they value customer feedback. Then month or two later it is back to their old tactics. Lol. 

Here was their cruisecritic post after the beverage price increase failed miserably. 

We strive to provide our guests with exceptional experiences and added value whenever possible. As recent changes to our beverage program caused some disappointment, we have made adjustments which we hope demonstrate our deep commitment to guest satisfaction. Customer favorites including Grey Goose and Grand Marnier have been reintroduced into the Ultimate Beverage Package, which provides guests with unlimited beverages up to $15 per glass during the entirety of their cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Maybe if folks don't order the shrimp cocktail in Cagney's and they figure out that they have an excessive amount of shrimp on hand, they will figure that this probably wasn't a very good move.

I said that earlier, to some,  that is just too complicated. 

27 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Maybe if folks don't order the shrimp cocktail in Cagney's and they figure out that they have an excessive amount of shrimp on hand, they will figure that this probably wasn't a very good move.

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I said that earlier, to some,  that is just too complicated. 

4 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Certainly seems like a no brainer to me.

To most people, it’s not about the $5; it’s about the ethics and senseless absurdity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, slugg said:

To most people, it’s not about the $5; it’s about the ethics and senseless absurdity. 

I never said it had anything to do with the cost.  But, like I said, they shouldn't order it obviously out of principle.

The upcharge is at Ocean Blue as well. So let's say you take the "Free at Sea" SDP which costs you the 20% gratuity. You select Ocean Blue as one of your dinners (you may change your mind once you see the new pared down menu).  You pay a $10 upcharge + $2 gratuity to use the SDP there.  You select the shrimp cocktail and the Surf & Turf. The shrimp is $4.99 upcharge + gratuity. The Surf & Turf is $9.99 + gratuity. You've just spent $30 for the specialty dinner you selected as your "FREE" perk. You may as well have paid the a la carte price. People will just adjust where they eat and what they order to get a better value from their perks. Until what they're left with leaves them disappointed and looking at other cruise lines. I may have some cruise next certificates for sale. 

• Like 3

NCL has cut back on shrimp before but never charged extra for it.  The shrimp cocktail used to be jumbo sized and you got 4 GIANT shrimp.  Then they got smaller and smaller and then it was 3 small ones.  What about going to 2 shrimp?  Or even one LOL.  I still think that is better than charging extra for something many cruise lines give away in their MDR.

Oh BTW, there is no appetizer that interests me so I will order 2 sides.  The sides cost as much as the appetizer.  If this is not allowed, I will make a scene 😲

😜

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

It was, many years ago and certainly not nightly, plus the shrimp they used isn't the same as what they use in Cagney's. there are shrimps and then there is really good shrimp just like Lobster and good Lobster. 

8 hours ago, blcruising said:

that is exactly my point. I will say it again, and again, I am not thrilled with the extra charge but I do question anyone who says "well they have it in the main dining room on such and such line" there is no similarity in the quality. I can get it at the grocery store for almost nothing but good quality, large shrimp sells for $10 a lb. Maybe some people do not care about the quality, and that is fine. we all enjoy different things in life  .  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shof515 said:

And the shrimp in MDR on Carnival aren't even close to the size in Cagney's.

On the Bliss this past January my Shrimp Coctail in Cagney's was excellent.

1 hour ago, havenfan said:

Pardon me if this was already covered up the thread.  Is this upcharge only on the Escape or in Cagney's across the entire fleet?

We'll be boarding the Bliss this Sat so I'll try to remember to come back with the info.  I'm sure, though, there are others on ships this week that could answer the question much quicker than I can.